Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mot Advisory..!

simpsons4

Hello, new here, just had my 58 titanium mondeo. M.O.T tested, it passed fine but for 1 Tyre, but the list of advisories ran to 28 (pics below) it was a £9:99 mot, are they taking the !Removed!? Car is ex company car with full Ford service history, I like number 28, its so vague its funny....!

post-46039-0-62678200-1376523962_thumb.j

post-46039-0-51274400-1376523990_thumb.j

post-46039-0-11129000-1376524010_thumb.j

I wonder what vosa would make of that. Indeed they are only advisories but they are having a laugh with some of them!

Seems excessive. Theres alot of stuff there I just wouldnt bother with. Id get your headlight alignment sorted, get your brake discs checked, other than that I think they're just fishing for work. Sounds like thats how they make their money, charge only £9.99 for the mot slap on a load of advisories then make their money off them, im always dubious of places charging less than £25 for an mot

I thought as much, I normally pay my usual garage full for mot, but I knew the car would sail through it so went for the cheap option, some of those are laughable though, might send those pics to vosa though, some advisories don't even make sense. Cheers ..

its vosa that writes the adviseries, the tester just selects the ones they think apply.

The MOT is gradually becoming stricter every year to European standards, but UK motorists have the expense of having to do it every year instead of every 2 years like other parts of Europe

Right so everyone knows that metal rusts and does not take long before it gets spots of rust. they are pulling you for not excessive corrosion but corrosion on all parts under the car, and the bits that are plastic coated they are pulling you for that aswell, they are having a laugh mate, dont go back to them and go some where else.

• Like 1

What you need to remember is there is a very low if any, profit margin in mots...even at full price

Garages offer them to generate work, so anyone offering cut price mot is doing so in hope if increasing revenue, so should expect a few advisories.

End of the day, they have given you an honest mot, just taken advisories to extreme,,,not that uncommon really and morally questionable but perfectly legal

That list is extreme to the point of abusive, just say it was your car, well looked after and serviced and you got that Mot with them advisories, and you wanted to sell your car. you would have no chance of getting anywhere near market value, in fact a potential customer would want it for nearer scrap value, No its not honest, moral and last time i checked blackmail was illegal, Advisories are there to inform the owner at the time of test these were passable but this work needs doing to the car. that list No and as I said go somewhere else and pay full price and see what list you get.

On my old MK1 I had the same advisory two years in a row informing me my brake discs were worn and needed replacement within 6 months.

Went to a different garage for my next MOT and they stated that there was years of life left in them.

Definitely all about drumming up work.

• Like 2

Lot of mot checks are testers discretion, so long as they work within the boundaries given.

No two ways about it, the garage were stretching those boundaries to the limit, but it's visa that write all the advisories, so that gives the tester the option to mark up corrosion on roll bars/springs etc.

Find me a roll bar/spring that doesn't have signs of corrosion..so you have to question visa policy far more than the garages.

Its a farce, but where vIda are concerned, that's normally the case anyway...

To hand over a test ticket with advisories is no big deal, I'd be more concerned if the garage was trying to verbally make out these advisories needed urgent attention...by sound of it they haven't, just hoping customer might give go ahead to do some if not all marked work.

As said, cheap mots are rarely worth the saving as any garage that offers them are invariably losing money in doing so, no business can afford to do that without trying to make that loss up somewhere...

Visa are gradually getting their act together, but things like this opens up the opportunities for abuse

MOTs are changing - a whole list of things that were previously not part of the MOT were introduced in Jan 2012, then Jan 2013, and then more recently -

But in many parts of Europe the test is every 2 years - this was supposed to be introduced into the UK test, but we still have the expense of putting uor car/s through the MOT every year, but the test is just about as tough as the EU 2-year test

Its to bring the UK in line with the EU - blame the eurocrats/ politicians

Much of it is not safety - related but very silly "jobsworth" B.S. - probably to force old cars (like mine) off the road

Previous to the 1960s there was no MOT - it was introduced to stop "death traps" of cars with bald tyres/ no brakes or holes in the floor etc driving on the road - now it has been twisted/ perverted into something else / to ridiculus levels

Its getting to the point where you will be unable to modify your car in any way and still have it pass an MOT

A car should not be a disposable item - it should last for years - if these people had their way they would have us all chucking our cars away after 3 years - think about the enviromental impact that would have!

• Like 1

I haven't got a problem with a test every year or that its getting stricter but what I do mind is some bureaucrat telling me what I can do or cant do to my car, I would never knowingly drive a dangerous car so for a EU representative so say we in Britain must do whatever and abide by whatever is a joke, Last time i checked I lived in a free country, or has this been changed by some EU bylaw or something.

Unfortunately what FOCA says is true, there aim is to stop all modifications to cars, if it was not built with it or replaced with OEM parts it will not pass a test, and the thing is its will not be that far in the future.

• Like 1

not sure where this idea of vosa looking to eliminate modfifications is coming from, cant think of anything in the test where this could be a problem.

i put a very nice, full custom car through an mot last month, passed with flying colours...this car was built from scratch but followed all relevent legislation.

vast majority of new legislation dont even apply to older cars, not seen anything creeping in that will change this.

in the future, as an example, i can see a day where if a DPF was fitted at factory, it must be seen to still be fitted and functional..if ever that happens, then chances are, going on vosa policy over history, it will only apply for cars from date legislation was introduced..end of the day, these DPFs are only fitted to comply with euro legislation that the government signed up to, nothing to do with vosa at all at the moment, but as removing the systems becomes more common, can see the government forcing vosa to take action.

as for bi annual mots, speaking [or should that be typing] as a mechanic, think thats insane...i could give a endless list of cars that are regularly and properly serviced, yet still suffer from dangerous faults in between, only need to experience the diabolical state of the roads to know what could happen...apply the bi annual to the owners that carry out bare minimal repairs/checks, which probably far outnumbers the owners that do it right, you end up with a lot of death traps on the roads...from experience of crash recovery, its normally the innocent that cops it..if anything, there is a case for 6mth tests instead of bi annual

not sure where this idea of vosa looking to eliminate modfifications is coming from, cant think of anything in the test where this could be a problem.

i put a very nice, full custom car through an mot last month, passed with flying colours...this car was built from scratch but followed all relevent legislation.

vast majority of new legislation dont even apply to older cars, not seen anything creeping in that will change this.

in the future, as an example, i can see a day where if a DPF was fitted at factory, it must be seen to still be fitted and functional..if ever that happens, then chances are, going on vosa policy over history, it will only apply for cars from date legislation was introduced..end of the day, these DPFs are only fitted to comply with euro legislation that the government signed up to, nothing to do with vosa at all at the moment, but as removing the systems becomes more common, can see the government forcing vosa to take action.

as for bi annual mots, speaking [or should that be typing] as a mechanic, think thats insane...i could give a endless list of cars that are regularly and properly serviced, yet still suffer from dangerous faults in between, only need to experience the diabolical state of the roads to know what could happen...apply the bi annual to the owners that carry out bare minimal repairs/checks, which probably far outnumbers the owners that do it right, you end up with a lot of death traps on the roads...from experience of crash recovery, its normally the innocent that cops it..if anything, there is a case for 6mth tests instead of bi annual

There was an article not too long ago saying they were considering banning all vehicle modifications from manufacturers standard.

• Like 2

HIDS?

often is a number of new legislation being considered, but rarely see light of day.

but even if it does, they rarely [if ever] back date the new rules...

if ever they make a serious change that could affect older vehicles, it wont happen overnight, will be a good few years notice and will probably get seriously challenged by some heavyweights...really cant see it happening myself [for cars already on the road that is]

not come across HID issues myself, but there are a number on the road that have illegal and dodgy set ups...hate the !Removed! things anyway, even the factory kits...amount of times you have one com ing towards you that hit a bump/dip...blinds/distracts you if only very briefly

I hate Hids too but boy they are getting focused in on at the moment, on one side you here to have them have to have working and operational height adjusters and washers, and on the other side we have police men and women, pulling vehicles that don't comply whilst they drive vehicles that don't comply.

Then you here stories of at test if your vehicle does not comply and there is signs of HID's as in ballasts etc they will still fail.

Up this neck of the woods police have taken quite a hard view on HID's.

There was an article not too long ago saying they were considering banning all vehicle modifications from manufacturers standard.

This is true i have seen it somewhere before officially. It's far more serious than it sounds

dont blame them, far too many on the road with badly fitted set ups, not to mention kits that convert using the standard lenses...

imo...only car manufacturer supplied full lamps should be allowed. including conversion kits for those not fitted from factory which should keep the converts happy....ban all others {or make them go through offical testing/certifying}

• Like 1

This is true i have seen it somewhere before officially. It's far more serious than it sounds

I have also seen :(

dont blame them, far too many on the road with badly fitted set ups, not to mention kits that convert using the standard lenses...

imo...only car manufacturer supplied full lamps should be allowed. including conversion kits for those not fitted from factory which should keep the converts happy....ban all others {or make them go through offical testing/certifying}

I agree in terms of HID's the best things IMO would be to legalize them on the condition that approved headlight units are used. If they legalised HIDs then that would allow after market manufacturers to produce proper HID kits including washer systems and all other relevant requirements. Obviously they should only be legal if an approved kit is fitted by an approved installer.

To ban modifications altogether would cause absolute outrage though

At work we got fed up with one garage failing everything on number plates and lights every year, so we went to another garage and miraculously the vehicles now pass their test first time and advisory items the previous garage listed we did not fix don't even show as advisories anymore.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club