Dan The Gas Man

• FOC Supporters
  • 3,462 posts
  • Name: Daniel
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Mk6 1.3 Petrol
  • Year: 2003
Contributor

Posted 16 August 2013 - 06:06 PM

not sure where this idea of vosa looking to eliminate modfifications is coming from, cant think of anything in the test where this could be a problem.
i put a very nice, full custom car through an mot last month, passed with flying colours...this car was built from scratch but followed all relevent legislation.
vast majority of new legislation dont even apply to older cars, not seen anything creeping in that will change this.
in the future, as an example, i can see a day where if  a DPF was fitted at factory, it must be seen to still be fitted and functional..if ever that happens, then chances are, going on vosa policy over history, it will only apply for cars from date legislation was introduced..end of the day, these DPFs  are only fitted to comply with euro legislation that the government signed up to, nothing to do with vosa at all at the moment, but as removing the systems becomes more common, can see the government forcing vosa to take action.

as for bi annual mots, speaking [or should that be typing] as a mechanic, think thats insane...i could give a endless list of cars that are regularly and properly serviced, yet still suffer from dangerous faults in between, only need to experience the diabolical state of the roads to know what could happen...apply the bi annual to the owners that carry out bare minimal repairs/checks, which probably far outnumbers the owners that do it right, you end up with a lot of death traps on the roads...from experience of crash recovery, its normally the innocent that cops it..if anything, there is a case for 6mth tests instead of bi annual

There was an article not too long ago saying they were considering banning all vehicle modifications from manufacturers standard.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 georgen

georgen

Too much time on the boards

• FOC Supporters
  • 896 posts
  • Name: george
  • Ford Model: focus est 1.6 tdci lx
  • Year: 2005

Posted 16 August 2013 - 06:10 PM

not sure where this idea of vosa looking to eliminate modfifications is coming from, cant think of anything in the test where this could be a problem.

HIDS?

#18 wase16ll

wase16ll

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts
  • Name: Tony
  • Ford Model: granada
  • Year: 1992

Posted 16 August 2013 - 06:27 PM

often is a number of new legislation being considered, but rarely see light of day.

but even if it does, they rarely [if ever] back date the new rules...

if ever they make a serious change that could affect older vehicles, it wont happen overnight, will be a good few years notice and will probably get seriously challenged by some heavyweights...really cant see it happening myself  [for cars already on the road that is]

#19 wase16ll

wase16ll

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 06:30 PM

not come across HID issues myself, but there are a number on the road that have illegal and dodgy set ups...hate the !Removed! things anyway, even the factory kits...amount of times you have one com ing towards you that hit a bump/dip...blinds/distracts you if only very briefly

#20 georgen

georgen

• FOC Supporters
  • 896 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 06:39 PM

I hate Hids too but boy they are getting focused in on at the moment, on one side you here to have them have to have working and operational height adjusters and washers, and on the other side we have police men and women, pulling vehicles that don't comply whilst they drive vehicles that don't comply.

Then you here stories of at test if your vehicle does not comply and there is signs of HID's as in ballasts etc they will still fail. 

Up this neck of the woods police have taken quite a hard view on HID's.

#21 mixmasterlooney

mixmasterlooney

The Sexecutioner

• FOC Supporters
  • 852 posts
  • Name: Kurt
  • Ford Model: Focus Zetec S
  • Year: 2010
Contributor

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:06 PM

There was an article not too long ago saying they were considering banning all vehicle modifications from manufacturers standard.

This is true i have seen it somewhere before officially. It's far more serious than it sounds

#22 wase16ll

wase16ll

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:11 PM

dont blame them, far too many on the road with badly fitted set ups, not to mention kits that convert using the standard lenses...

imo...only car manufacturer supplied full lamps should be allowed. including conversion kits for those not fitted from factory which should keep the converts happy....ban all others {or make them go through offical testing/certifying}

#23 georgen

georgen

• FOC Supporters
  • 896 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:12 PM

This is true i have seen it somewhere before officially. It's far more serious than it sounds

I have also seen :(

#24 DanGersFord

DanGersFord

Dan The Gas Man

• FOC Supporters
  • 3,462 posts
  • Name: Daniel
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Mk6 1.3 Petrol
  • Year: 2003
Contributor

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:29 PM

dont blame them, far too many on the road with badly fitted set ups, not to mention kits that convert using the standard lenses...

imo...only car manufacturer supplied full lamps should be allowed. including conversion kits for those not fitted from factory which should keep the converts happy....ban all others {or make them go through offical testing/certifying}

I agree in terms of HID's the best things IMO would be to legalize them on the condition that approved headlight units are used. If they legalised HIDs then that would allow after market manufacturers to produce proper HID kits including washer systems and all other relevant requirements. Obviously they should only be legal if an approved kit is fitted by an approved installer.

To ban modifications altogether would cause absolute outrage though

#25 Fastfordman

Fastfordman

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Name: Kevin
  • Ford Model: Volvo V40 D4 SE
  • Year: 2013

Posted 16 August 2013 - 09:43 PM

At work we got fed up with one garage failing everything on number plates and lights every year, so we went to another garage and miraculously the vehicles now pass their test first time and advisory items the previous garage listed we did not fix don't even show as advisories anymore.

#26 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Ford Enthusiast

• Super Mod
  • 11,028 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 19 August 2013 - 11:56 AM

I would take your car to a garage and pay for a second MOT, advising that you do not trust the judgement of the former garage. They dont need to do a formal MOT, but they can completely disregard X of those 28 "advisories" it seems to me much more like a money making excercise, but I would tell them politely where they can insert there 3 pages of advisories.

if another garage agrees with so few of them, report them to VOSA, as whilst its the discretion of the tester, they need a reasonable amount of evidence to support the logic to their decision, and without that, they can be punished.

#27 theduke

theduke

Hairy Member

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Focus Mk 2.5 Zetec
  • Year: 2009

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:11 PM

So glad my mot tester fancies my mum and knows i do all my own work, everythings an advisory or he just points it out as he knows ill do it myself anyway  ;)

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users