Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Euro V Emissions And What It Means?

exponential

Hi guys.

Just wondering if anyone can help me understand the difference between euro IV and euro V.

From what I can gather, it relates to the type of DPF fitted to a car.

I have a 59 plate focus estate 1.6 TDCI and on fordEtis it shows Euro V emissions.

The car I was going to buy before this one was an 09 plate and was shown as Euro IV.

I think from September 2009 onwards, they changed the type of DPF fitted but can't seem to find any solid info on this?

Can anyone on here shed any light on this and if so, what it means for me as a far as running a DPF car is concerned.....

Mike.

Have a read of this-

http://www.dieselnet.com/standards/eu/ld.php

I'm pretty sure that the only differeces with the dpf would be that yhe earlier version required topping up with expensive eolys fluid to assist with regeneration wheras newer versions are self regenerating.

Personally I avoid dpf cars as they're a total pain.

I chose the 1.8 tdci expressly because of no dpf.

• Like 1

Have a read of this-http://www.dieselnet.com/standards/eu/ld.phpI'm pretty sure that the only differeces with the dpf would be that yhe earlier version required topping up with expensive eolys fluid to assist with regeneration wheras newer versions are self regenerating.Personally I avoid dpf cars as they're a total pain.I chose the 1.8 tdci expressly because of no dpf.

Hi Stoney.

Very interesting read....

To be honest, I was going to go for the 1.8 for exactly that reason, no DPF but I do plenty of motorway journey's and know how to help the regen process.

There is always the option of removal with remap but i'm a little apprehensive about doing that plus, although it would pass an emissions test at an MOT, they may introduce a DPF test in the near future which would cause lots of problems for the many many people who have already had them removed!

What's your take on removal Stoney?

Ok.

Ive checked on fordEtis and looked at the service schedule for my car.

It states that at 75k, the DPF must be replaced BUT only on Euro IV models.

With my car being a Euro 5, my thinking is that I definately have a different type of DPF??

Can anyone clarify this for me?

Hi Stoney.

Very interesting read....

To be honest, I was going to go for the 1.8 for exactly that reason, no DPF but I do plenty of motorway journey's and know how to help the regen process.

There is always the option of removal with remap but i'm a little apprehensive about doing that plus, although it would pass an emissions test at an MOT, they may introduce a DPF test in the near future which would cause lots of problems for the many many people who have already had them removed!

What's your take on removal Stoney?

Diesel engines aren't tested for emissions, the only test is a smoke test using a meter, and visual test. If there was some kind of rule introduced it would be something towards vehicles manufactured after the rule has been introduced.

You can have it removed however as far i know if the vehicle was manufactured with it, it needs to be present at time of test. this rule has a year for vehicles affected, not sure what year though. Even then it can still be removed as long there is something visible such an an empty DPF casing...the DPF would then be classed as fitted

The DPF are different

• Like 1

Therr are companies that do dpf removals whereby they bypass the canisters and remove the internals leaving the canisters looking stock.

Seeing as an MOT tester is not permitted to dismantle parts, ad long as thr dpf appears to be visually intact then they are satisfied.

The dpf does also need deleting from the ECU though or a fault may pop up which is an MOT fail.

• Like 2

Therr are companies that do dpf removals whereby they bypass the canisters and remove the internals leaving the canisters looking stock.

Seeing as an MOT tester is not permitted to dismantle parts, ad long as thr dpf appears to be visually intact then they are satisfied.

The dpf does also need deleting from the ECU though or a fault may pop up which is an MOT fail.

I have looked into dpf delete (leaving just the casing for visual MOT inspections) with the necessary ecu remap and I think I may be going down this route.

Don't fancy a costly replacement in the future plus, increased torque, bhp AND economy is an incredibly attractive proposition!!

DPF is incredibly restrictive to the engine and removal is a no-brainer although some on here may disagree!!??

Sounds like you've got the new style DPF which doesn't need Eolys fluid or replacement. Mine's a late 2008 and I believe it was early 2009 that the new ones were introduced. The new one is basically maintenance and hassle free. Indeed, mine is one of the older ones, and does need the fluid. Other than asking for the fluid to be topped up on my last service, and of course paying for it, mine has been no hassle so far. I realise I will need to replace it when I get close to 100,000 miles.

I understand why people want to remove them when they're causing problems, but what problems is yours causing you? From what it sounds like there aren't any - and I wouldn't want to go spending money, and potentially causing more problems, for no real reason.

Sounds like you've got the new style DPF which doesn't need Eolys fluid or replacement. Mine's a late 2008 and I believe it was early 2009 that the new ones were introduced. The new one is basically maintenance and hassle free. Indeed, mine is one of the older ones, and does need the fluid. Other than asking for the fluid to be topped up on my last service, and of course paying for it, mine has been no hassle so far. I realise I will need to replace it when I get close to 100,000 miles.

I understand why people want to remove them when they're causing problems, but what problems is yours causing you? From what it sounds like there aren't any - and I wouldn't want to go spending money, and potentially causing more problems, for no real reason.

Hi jg.

Yeah, think I have got the new style DPF but I know nothing of how this new style DPF operates and how likely it is to fail?

I do know that it seems to be a "lifetime" product as there is no suggestion of replacement in any of the service schedules for a "euro V" engine.......

I completely agree with you in that it is not causing me a problems whatsoever so why remove it BUT it is still a very restrictive component which is robbing me of BHP and economy and there is still the unknown element to it's longevity?

I am unsure what to do now, I mean, what if I take the family away to Cornwall for a week and it fails and my car goes into limp mode and I can't drive it home without taking it to a local Ford dealer to have the fault looked at or cleared at great expense only for it to fail again halfway home........then I would've wished I had had it removed!!

This is my dilemma.

I got a really good price from a garage I know and mechanics I trust for DPF removal and ECU remap for £350.

Now that to me is worth the price to remove something which "could" fail and cost me a small fortune plus I get better MPG and BHP...... hmmmmm, what to do.....