Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Name: Ryan
  • Ford Model: mondeo TiTx Sport 173
  • Year: 2009

Posted 18 August 2013 - 10:31 AM

Oh cool that's good then then by the sounds of it I'm understanding what's going on then. Now next thing is buying a gauge. When you said that our engines don't produce a vacuum it's fairly hard trying to find a gauge that only has positive boost without breaking the bank. I don't want to spend very much maybe about 30squids more or less as the vent is 40 and then everything else will cost in total of about 80. I might sign up to tdoc and ask that guy about it but then again if I can use that self seali g nipple I can make a neat job of sealing it with black RTV. you used that much right ok then I didn't realise you would use that much but I suppose have a neat job will require length. Just the only thing that's holding me up is the gauge. It has to be 52mm. And good shout ill see if I can get all the piping I can. I've just emailed the guy about the adapter and will keep you posted. Just need to get diamentions of rubber pipe unless you know of the top of your head?

One more question... When I get this adapter do I still need tee adapter. I don't think I did do I?

So plan of action. Find a gauge by end of play today. And buy boost gauge holder off fleebay, buy relay. I can't remember if I needed shapes and crimps. Of so ill get those as well.

Can't wait for everything to arrive :)

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 9,957 posts
  • Name: Leonard
  • Ford Model: Focus ZetecS
  • Year: 2010
Contributor

Posted 18 August 2013 - 11:16 AM

Oh cool that's good then then by the sounds of it I'm understanding what's going on then. Now next thing is buying a gauge. When you said that our engines don't produce a vacuum it's fairly hard trying to find a gauge that only has positive boost without breaking the bank. I don't want to spend very much maybe about 30squids more or less as the vent is 40 and then everything else will cost in total of about 80. I might sign up to tdoc and ask that guy about it but then again if I can use that self seali g nipple I can make a neat job of sealing it with black RTV. you used that much right ok then I didn't realise you would use that much but I suppose have a neat job will require length. Just the only thing that's holding me up is the gauge. It has to be 52mm. And good shout ill see if I can get all the piping I can. I've just emailed the guy about the adapter and will keep you posted. Just need to get diamentions of rubber pipe unless you know of the top of your head?
One more question... When I get this adapter do I still need tee adapter. I don't think I did do I?
So plan of action. Find a gauge by end of play today. And buy boost gauge holder off fleebay, buy relay. I can't remember if I needed shapes and crimps. Of so ill get those as well.
Can't wait for everything to arrive :)

You can always purchase a cheap boost gauge and upgrade later,
It is costly starting out buying everything,
I recommend purchasing some spade connectors making it easy to unplug the gauge and replace,
Just put the female insulated ones on the side that send power to the gauge,
This way they remain insulated if the gauge I removed.

You don't need a T piece adaptor no.

The interna diameter of the boost pipe varies in size mate,
Mine is 2mm I think,
But 4mm is the most common used, doest make any difference really but ensure the seller of the inline filter has the filter to fit your boost pipe that should be supplied with the gauge,
Ask the seller of the gauge what diameter is the boost pipe supplied.
Also 4mm is the size that the self seal nipple supports.

Keep me posted and if you get stuck just ask.

#18 footfistart

footfistart

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 05:26 PM

Yeah I messaged the guy and said it's new and its the size I require so just waiting on postage costs. Shouldn't be that much? I also asked about the pipe size and he says it's a genuine size but I've asked to double check for me. So hopefully I may get this item. Thanks for pointing it out for me. Ok so no tee peice one less thing to buy. I'm sorry but about the spade connectors could you show me whic ones as there are hundreds out there... Sorry... I don't think I need to know much more as all info is on here. Just need to place orders :)

#19 footfistart

footfistart

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 05:40 PM

Update on gauge. Length of piping is about 8ft so even I'd it's too short I can always buy a length of piping for it anyways. It comes with an adapter anyways so one less thing to pay for aswell. Well hopefully

#20 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 9,957 posts
Contributor

Posted 18 August 2013 - 06:09 PM

Yeah I messaged the guy and said it's new and its the size I require so just waiting on postage costs. Shouldn't be that much? I also asked about the pipe size and he says it's a genuine size but I've asked to double check for me. So hopefully I may get this item. Thanks for pointing it out for me. Ok so no tee peice one less thing to buy. I'm sorry but about the spade connectors could you show me whic ones as there are hundreds out there... Sorry... I don't think I need to know much more as all info is on here. Just need to place orders :)

No problem,
I hope it follows through for you, I'll edit the thread to remove my link to it because you now have it in your sights,
These ones should do nicely

IMG_20130803_003810_zps0c9ce2da.jpg

#21 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 9,957 posts
Contributor

Posted 18 August 2013 - 06:12 PM

Update on gauge. Length of piping is about 8ft so even I'd it's too short I can always buy a length of piping for it anyways. It comes with an adapter anyways so one less thing to pay for aswell. Well hopefully

If its too short
Then that's a good point to fit your inline filter ;)

#22 footfistart

footfistart

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 06:44 PM

Another update on gauge.... It's going to cost a lot of money to ship. In total it's going to cost more than 100£. So I've spoken to him to try and lower the price. If not then I will leave him there as I don't have deep pockets. So I think it will have to be a gauge with a vacuum side aswell. I'm sure it will still work the same right? Just the needle won't drop past zero hey? Are those spades on eBay. What's about those scotch locks. Wouldn't they work as they lock into lock into the wire you wish to come off and then you can connect a female spade to it and off you go. So yeah bit disappointed about gauge... Never mind. What do you think about the gauge. Shall I just go for a gauge with vacuum. It doesn't bother me to be honest. So now ill need a nipple as it won't come with gauge. Well if I'm lucky. So yeah.....

#23 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 9,957 posts
Contributor

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:37 PM

Another update on gauge.... It's going to cost a lot of money to ship. In total it's going to cost more than 100£. So I've spoken to him to try and lower the price. If not then I will leave him there as I don't have deep pockets. So I think it will have to be a gauge with a vacuum side aswell. I'm sure it will still work the same right? Just the needle won't drop past zero hey? Are those spades on eBay. What's about those scotch locks. Wouldn't they work as they lock into lock into the wire you wish to come off and then you can connect a female spade to it and off you go. So yeah bit disappointed about gauge... Never mind. What do you think about the gauge. Shall I just go for a gauge with vacuum. It doesn't bother me to be honest. So now ill need a nipple as it won't come with gauge. Well if I'm lucky. So yeah.....

Yes a gauge with vacuum display will be fine just won't swing the needle that direction,

Spade connectors are cheaper to buy in the shops as shipping is more expensive,
I'm not a huge fan of scotch locks by yeah you could use red ones would be the size you would require.

And I've yet to see any gauge come with a self seal nipple,
I'd purchase it seperatly.

#24 footfistart

footfistart

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:02 PM

Right so I've bought a cardbon wrapped air vent pod. Will be here around midweek. Just been taking to the guy in America and I've got him down to 65$ all in so £41.59. I have just messaged him to double check everything I require and then as this is the only gauge I've seen that goes 0-35psi that doesn't break the bank. And this is the one that comes with the adapter. So we shall see. He said if I buy it, it will be sent same day and should be here within two weeks or sooner. So end of the month I should have everything ready to go. I still need the 3amp cable right? I shouldnt need much. I may go into maplin and get those spades. What size are they. Or is it colour codes which represents sizes? I'm not sure I think that's how it works?

So outstanding shopping list is: correct me if I'm wrong and add if desired...
Gauge ( in progress)
3amp cable...not bought (how long do I need)
Autodim relay... Not bought
2x male and female red spade type crimps.... Not bought.
Inline filter for gauge... Not bought as no longer on eBay.

I think that is all for now? As stuff arrives I'll post pics of bits so we can build a visual picture of how it will look..

Cheers Ryan

#25 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 9,957 posts
Contributor

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:58 PM

Right so I've bought a cardbon wrapped air vent pod. Will be here around midweek.

Gauge ( in progress)
I think that is all for now? As stuff arrives I'll post pics of bits so we can build a visual picture of how it will look..
Cheers Ryan

I'd purchase that self seal boost nipple from eBay mate,
The boost gauge adaptor will be a T piece trust me, if you end up with two self seal nipples I'll refund you the cost of the one on eBay.

As for the cable you shouldn't need any more than a metre or two,
Its sold in lengths of 5 though and I'm sure you will find use for the excess,
Supplier linked on page 1

You will also require PVC electrical tape to insulate connections.

Scotch locks are different colours for different size,
So red is the size you require.

If you can,
Ask the seller what way is the illumination connection for the gauge light,
Is it cables coming from the rear
Or
Spade connectors sticking out

When you know this,
You can then begin to wire up the relay with and fit all cables ready to plug in the gauge when it arrives.

#26 FOCA

FOCA

Feet on the table

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts
  • Name: FOCA
  • Ford Model: Mondeo Mk3 Sleeper 194 flb.p.t.
  • Year: Non
Contributor

Posted 19 August 2013 - 02:43 AM

Right so I've bought a cardbon wrapped air vent pod. So outstanding shopping list is: correct me if I'm wrong and add if desired...

Gauge ( in progress)

Cheers Ryan

Here are some suggestions -

You can hook up an analog mechanical gauge with no electrics at all - i did -

IMG_0129-my mondeo boost gauge crop-745-+bright 50-10-crop .JPG

The gauge can just be connected directly to the inlet manifold / suitable boost hose (via the "self seal boost nipple" - as lenny suggested)

The inline filter is nice to have but not essential (sometimes the needle can "jiggle" if one is not fitted - it can smooth out "pulses"- i fitted a big, cheap, inline petrol filter to mine) - a bit  like this -

http://www.ebay.co.u...5d#ht_499wt_932

The volume of the filter reduced the "jiggling needle" - i don't know if you could just dispence with it and still not get "jiggling"

(it was from the gauge picking up the pulses from the pistons- i relocated the pick up point and i did not need the filter )

You will get a different PSI reading depending where you fit the gauge pick-up-point, Ie -  there is a pressure-drop through the intercooler, and a smaller pipe has a higher velocity but a lower pressure (everything else being equal) - but it will give you an idea what is going on anyway    

You should be able to see the gauge in daylight (it may not need to be lit up in the day - you might be able to see it fine) so you just need to light it up at night - so you just connect the light to the cars lights/ sidelight switch (no dimmer relay required)

It depends on the type of boost gauge you get - but the above is true for one like mine

I hope these suggestions/ ideas are useful :)  

PS - i had planned to fit a (color matched) LED to my boost gauge - but ive gone and bought a smoked (blackout when off) boost gauge now and a load of other gauges which i plan to fit when i get round toit    

#27 footfistart

footfistart

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:30 AM

Right new update... Gauge bought for $65 all in instead of $150 :) just waitng for him to update ebay for postal costs as PayPal won't letme pay for the item. Now you ser iI'm crap with electrics but as it looks relatively easy to do I'll give it a bash but first thing first it's tohet the gauge working. Got a feeling iI need to buy more boost piping as this won't be long enough but you never know with americans. Thank you for suggestions FOCA. as you say ill get it plumbed in and see about the light. I don't really do slot of night driving. Well winter is in its way and I work 8 til 8 so it will be dark soon. I'll see how I go. And oh right I see I didn't know about pressure change. Well I knew it would go up and down. But I'm thinking of going into the rubber boost piping in my picture. I believe that's come straight from the turbo and then into the cooler then back up the right hand side into the engine right? I've got tape. I'll get the spades and amp cable as I'm sure it will get used up in time. I'd imagine it's a tee peice but you never knwo.

#28 footfistart

footfistart

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:03 PM

Gauge sent and on the way. Inline filter on its way. Just need 3amp cable. Went into maplin today and saw these lenny. Would these be the same as the connectors you used?

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG0764.jpg
  • IMAG0765.jpg

#29 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 9,957 posts
Contributor

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:30 AM

Gauge sent and on the way. Inline filter on its way. Just need 3amp cable. Went into maplin today and saw these lenny. Would these be the same as the connectors you used?

Those connectors in the image on the left
Won't connect
To those in the image on the right
They are spade connectors on the left image and bullet connectors on the right image.

Here is what you require insulated spade connectors, ask the maplins staff for assistance aswell they are generally very helpful
. IMG_20130803_003810_zps0c9ce2da.jpg

#30 footfistart

footfistart

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 12:41 PM

Small update.... No boost gauge. Got a refund from the American. I didn't trust what he was doing. Saying thing and not actually doing them and the item hadn't been shipped and it's been a week so I've binned him and got money back now. So on the hunt again. This weekend I'll get some spades from maplins I'll show them the pics and go from there. If I was to get a smoked gauge would I still need to get a auto dim relay? So bit crappy really nothing much to say. Just need to sort the blank out I've received and fit to see what it will look like. Will post tomorrow.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users