Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.8 Tdci Smoke On Cold Start

david.johnes

Hi All,

I bought a 2005 Mk2 Focus in January, it has always smoked a cold start and sounds quite lumpy, no issues on a warm start.

It doesn't take long for it to smooth out, there's no loss of power, pulls well, and once warm returns very good mpg (can get 65 mpg on a good run, short runs into town from cold only 30 mpg).

The glow plugs were replaced at time of sale as this was thought to be the issue, so I'm assuming they can be ruled out. Asked a local garage for advice they said the injectors may need testing and reconditioning (£80 each to be tested, £150 each to recon, plus VAT), or that the EGR valve may need cleaning. I've found another place (Diesel Bob, Preston) who can test injectors for £8 each and recon for £88 each, plus VAT.

I also contacted the garage I got the car from, they said they've experienced many 1.8 TDCIs which loose the coding on the injectors, they said this can be sorted very easily and fits the issues I'm describing. I'm now living in Perth and I bought the car in Penrith so not close by.

I've read forum posts by others who needed injectors replacing, most of these found the car was running poorly when warm not just at start, anyone with similar experiences?

Really grateful for any information or advice!

Thanks!

David.

Have you tried turning the ignition on without starting a few times then starting, also just because the glow plugs were replaced dont rule them out, also get the live feed to the glow plugs tested

Have you tried turning the ignition on without starting a few times then starting, also just because the glow plugs were replaced dont rule them out, also get the live feed to the glow plugs tested

Georgen,

Thanks for your rapid reply! I have tried cycling the glow plugs, up to ten times but it makes no noticeable difference, should point out even when cycling glow plugs from a cold start ten times the light still shows even on the last cycle - light turns off immediately on a warm start, is that normal?

I haven't had anyone check the live feed, although I'm sure this would be a good addition to the check list when I take the car in!

Cheers,

David.

dont take a garage's word on anything they have said they have done to the car... check it for urself to see if it has been done.... as far as im aware the job of the glow plug is to heat up the cylinder of where the diesel is injected into, to start the car... these are only used under cold conditions.. we have ran ours for the past few months without our glow plug wiring loom connected to our live feed, (only replace 2 week ago.... £14 from ford) and it started first time everytime without no hessitation what so ever...

err, I may be wrong but apparenty the glow plugs are not programed to work unless the temperature is below about 4c on most focus,

this is how its programed in the ECU i'm led to believe..

Thanks guys, any suggestions if not glow plugs?

The light for the glow plugs always stays on for around 5 seconds on a cold start, goes out straight away when engine is warm so assumed they were needed when cold starting regardless of outside temperature?

only on cold starting yes.... when i ran ours without any feed it was starting of summer ie end of my beginning of june, so there was no cold weather.... as stated they only come into play after say it goes below a certain tempreature

have a scan

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_does_a_glow_plug_work

the thing i would suggest is a leak off test of the injectors, if that is ok ,

is the battery in good condition,?

the injectors need a certain voltage to function from cold so with the starter motor engaged is the voltage enough to operate all injectors?

this might be more noticable on cold start if the battery is on its way out!

• Like 1

I had this on my 2.0 tdci and after a tank full of juice with forte advanced injector cleaner in it has sorted the surging hunting at cold starts.

if you suspect the egr valve, buy a plate of eBay for 4 quid

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EGR-VALVE-BLANKING-PLATE-FORD-TRANSIT-CONNECT-MONDEO-FOCUS-1-8-TDCI-I-/141030719019?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item20d615fe2b

very quick delivery and you can fit it litterally in 2 mins, you dont need take the scuttle panel of just a stubby 10mm spanner (ringer)

just 1 more step before the injectors.....

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club