Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Dash Problem

tommyvb

Hello all,

My girlfriend has a focus on a 1999 plate i think its a 1.8 zetec

and she has a problem with her speedo,

now and again it wont work, she'll be drivign but no speedo working, this also leads to the car stalling/engine cutout when slowing down at junctions/round abouts etc etc ...

she had it in garage a few times an the mechanics rather say its sorted or theres nothing wrong.

But this only happens a few times, when the speedos not working she re-starts the car and most of the time it will work.

i personally think there maybe a loose connection behind the dash or a mucky/corroded connection. thats why it wont be working 100% but with the car cutting out that baffels me lol.

so thats why i come on here and ask if anyone knows anything about this problem and could help me..

Many Thanks and if anyone knows anythings please reply or email me and let me know.

all information is very very much appricated ..

thanks

Erm it could be a combination of things but in my experience it sounds either to be your battery on the way out , test this with a multimeter you should get 12v ! or it could be the alternator , the reason why i dont say its the dials is because you mentioned cutting out !

Erm it could be a combination of things but in my experience it sounds either to be your battery on the way out , test this with a multimeter you should get 12v ! or it could be the alternator , the reason why i dont say its the dials is because you mentioned cutting out !

Hello mate,

Ahhh thanks for that advice, so you recon it could be a new battery needed..

When i say it cuts out i mean like when slowiing down to junctions and roundabouts it cuts out, and has to be restarted.

i made sure its not my Girlfriend stalling lol its the car..

so what else do you recon

sounds more like a faulty speed sensor , which can cause the problems your having

Thanks for your advice aswell mate.

So what you recon should be done.

i know your saying a new speed sensor. would that be around near the wheels to monitor the speed of the wheels and give you your speed on your dash,

what ya think about the cutting out issue

Thanks for your advice aswell mate.

So what you recon should be done.

i know your saying a new speed sensor. would that be around near the wheels to monitor the speed of the wheels and give you your speed on your dash,

what ya think about the cutting out issue

the focus has an electionic speedometer with a speed sensor fitted to the transmission in

place of the older speedometer cable drive pinion.The speed singnal passes to the instrument panel vie the engine management

E C U. which also uses the speed signal for fuel system-relateded calculations.

so i would take a look at this speed sensor see if you can swap one with someone just to try it ;)

i would say the speed sensor its a known problem and is located on top of the gearbox and held in place by a location pin.

i would say the speed sensor its a known problem and is located on top of the gearbox and held in place by a location pin.

Unless its the MTX-75 gearbox then its held in with a torx screw and costs 3 times as much as one for the IB5 box

• 1 month later...

Probably the speedo sensor.

I believe it was on TV programme "Watchdog".

It is a common fault. One viewer said it can be temporarily fixed by spraying WD-40, but this is not a perminant fix though.