Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Keys

hula89

Ok so I'm getting an 09 Fiesta Zetec but there's only one key.

Im getting the impression I can't get a second key ever as I need two keys to be able to program a new one.

Is this correct? I don't mind buying a second key as the car was a good lot cheaper than the next in that condition/mileage but I will be cancelling it if this is indeed the case as many garages would never take it off me in the future with 1 key.

Thanks I'm advance.

Can't imagine you'd need two spare keys to be able to get a new key. My car and I'm assuming all new cars, come with two keys, if you were to lose one of these that would mean you'd never be able to replace one.

Pretty sure they can reprogramme a new key from one and not two.

No real evidence for this, just assuming. If in doubt, ask ford.

I'm new around here so hope I'm not completely wrong :)

All new keys will need programming by a kocksmith or dealer using an IDS interface.

You used to be able to program your own keys using two other keys to unlock the programming phase but this was discontinued by Ford in approx 2003.

All new keys will need programming by a kocksmith or dealer using an IDS interface.

:lol:

As stoney says, a kocksmith, I mean Locksmith can programme new keys via the IDS interface, but I would be more inclined to either re-negotiate the price with the dealer as there is only one key for the car, or have him/her/them supply a second working key at his/her/their expense.

Smartarses.

;)

Flamin' phone buttons are too small.

As stoney says, a kocksmith, I mean Locksmith can programme new keys via the IDS interface, but I would be more inclined to either re-negotiate the price with the dealer as there is only one key for the car, or have him/her/them supply a second working key at his/her/their expense.

Oh I did I had it reduced by about £500 using that as part when it was already cheap anyway. Also got more for my 207 than its worth and I'm desperate as the 207 is dying electronically.

All I can say is if your happy with the deal then go for it, getting new /spare keys isn't as hard or as expensive as you may think.

A lot of mobile locksmiths have the ability to programme keys to cars these days, and you can cut costs by buying second hand remote fobs and uncut blades from such as eBay and having them cut and programmed to suit your car

A damn sight cheaper than approaching dealers for sure.

I priced it up once to about £360 for a new key supplied, cut and programmed.

A locksmith and an eBay key probably comes in at around £120 tops.

You don't need a college education to do those maths :d

Also only got one key when i got the car, ordered 2 spare keys from internet (one remote and one without). Got a Ford VCM OBD2 thing from eBay and programmed my own key. After that i got my keys cut at a local locksmith and with 2 working keys programmed the third one. Mines from november 2004 and the self programming trick still works. (if you got 2 working keys that is)

The remote key was 44 euros (uncut key bit), the non remote was 18 or 22 euros, i forgot, also uncut (http://priad-autosleutels.nl/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=5&vmcchk=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=19) It's in dutch. Got it from a dutch webshop, guess there will be similar sites in GB or eBay. Locksmith also had the same new keys and key bits but was much more expensive.

Programming was "free", the Ford VCM clone set me back about 25 euros, the cutting of the keys was 21,50 euros a piece.

If you all add it up it still isn't that cheap but i can use the VCM clone for other stuff too so i don't really count that in.

Did order an extra key bit to play around (9 euros), i have the round key or whatever it's called. Did manage to "cut" my own key with just a small file, the round keys are very easy to copy, don't know why a locksmith charges that much but hey, don't need a new key each week so didn't mind.

(If you plan on doing it this way, the Ford VCM clone only works with Windows XP.

Vista, 7 and 8 are not supported and i tested, my clone doesn't work with anything else but XP, couldn't get it to work even on a virtual XP under Win 7 or 8)

If you plan on doing it this way, the Ford VCM clone only works with Windows XP.

Vista, 7 and 8 are not supported and i tested, my clone doesn't work with anything else but XP, couldn't get it to work even on a virtual XP under Win 7 or 8

This might be why I couldn't get mine to work either, will have to dig out one of my old laptops with XP on it and give that a try

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club