Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta Mk7 1.6 Tdci Wheelbearing?

oobie

I was having a whining/droning noise from the front end of the car, jacked up both wheels and felt for a vibration in the spring because i thought it might be the wheel bearing.

There was a vibration in the spring on the left side, ordered the wheel bearing and fitted it as you should.

The noise is now even worse, louder and sort of a grindning noise added to the whining/droning.

When i drive around in a circle left/right on a tarmac parking lot the droning sort of changes pitch, and then when im going forward the break-pedal travels almost to the floor.. Its as if it need bleeding, it feels normal the second time i puah the braked pedal, the wheel nuts and the driveshaft nut is tightened Hard.

What can it be? Change the complete hub? Driveshaft joint? Shot wheel bearing again?

Have you checked the pads? Are they into the metal? Check the inner pads as even if outsides are ok the inside could be metal This could cause pedal travel and when you push it the second time its harder because you have pumped the piston out

Thanks for the reply!

I've now checked the pads, the inner pad has worn more than the outer one.

I also took of the caliper and rotated the tire and the droning is still there..

I also loosened the driveshaft nut and the tire rotated easier with less noise.. Has to be wheelbearing again?

When you changed the bearing did you tighten the hub but up to the correct torque? Maybe if you over tightened, it caused damage to the new bearing?

I tightened it pretty hard, i used a converter between ft lb's and newtonmeters.

I will change the bearing again i think, this time use the right tools and not just hand tighten it

at first.

I tightened it so the wheel turned without any vibrations in the spring, and the bolt firmly in place.

Might have been too loose or top tight, i know it has to be 300nm.

If the bolt is too loose, might it have damaged the bearing in less than a 0,5 miles?

What do you mean by 'vibrations in the spring' ??? As this is something I would never associate with a wheel bearing going.

I would have thought it unlikely for a bearing to be damaged within less than a mile, just everything you described does in fact point back at a failed bearing.... Slim chance that you bought a duff one? Was it an oem ford part?

Mike77, if you jack up the car and grab the spring with one hand and rotate the tire you will either feel a slight vibration, or nothing at all. Vibration : Worn bearing, No vibration then its good.

Yeah there's an off chance for the bearing to be duff when i bought it.. Im not sure but it's an SKF-bearing wich should meet the standards.

Is there any bearing on the driveshaft/joints?

Not meaning too sound patrinising... But did you fit it properly? Are you a mechanic or just like giving things a go yourself? Did you press the bearing in correctly? Or is it a special kit on them? I cant remember lol! But if I was you I would buy a ford part as the cheap ones are not very good.... If it is the bearing that is at fault I would claim parts warranty.... Also try checking the driveshaft bearing, if it has one...not worked on many of these fiestas

Ford ETIS says to rotate the hub at least ten times whilst tightning the nut to prevent bearing damage. I just replaced my rear bearing today (also SKF) and when putting the hub back on i could see the inner ring pushed a little out. So i turned the hub whilst tighting to make it pop back in the right way.

And hammering or pressing the new bearing in, do not hammer/press on the inner ring, only on the outer ring otherwise no bearing will survive being hammered/pressed in, no matter the make ;)

• Like 1

Im an fairly experienced home-mechanic.

I used the old bearing to press the new one in, and a manual hydraulic-press.

Disassembled the old bearing and took the outer ring from it.. Perfect fit to press with.

The turning part sounds smart, i did not do that, and of course you should never press the inner ring.

Maybe take out the driveshaft, reassemble it again without it and turn the hub/wheel and listen for the droning. Easy way to rule out the driveshaft?

Yeah mate I would try that or jack up the full front end onto axle stands, look and see if their is a driveshaft bearing on the o/s it will depending on driveshaft setupif it has a bearing or not.. If so spin the wheel and feel the driveshaft bearing for roughness

• 4 weeks later...

Have you cured this with another new bearing? We had some warranty work done last year to cure creaking steering at low speed which involved replacing the strut top mounts and I think they've ruined one or both of the front wheel bearings during reassembly probably by not following the procedure above outlined by Gombal above.

Ever since that was done there has been a road speed constant harmonic droning sound. Getting the last work done was pretty horrendous between Ford and the dealer we had to use, but I'd like to get to the bottom of it again before there is no warranty left for what its worth as the neither wanted to pay for it in full or do it after the first year.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club