Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.8 or 2.0 Diesel?

CreditCrunched

Hi,

At the risk of asking what might seem obvious...are there any strong opinions as to which to go for? I've seen mixed reviews about the 2.0 and little regarding the 1.8. I'd like a pit of punch to the car ideally...but wondered if there is a strong yes or no either way?

I'm looking to buy a low mileage version of either currently...

Thanks,

Scott.

Hi,

At the risk of asking what might seem obvious...are there any strong opinions as to which to go for? I've seen mixed reviews about the 2.0 and little regarding the 1.8. I'd like a pit of punch to the car ideally...but wondered if there is a strong yes or no either way?

I'm looking to buy a low mileage version of either currently...

Thanks,

Scott.

Hi Scott,

1.8 consumes less and in general with 6 gear box is enough for most situations. 2 liter is a little bit more punchy. 1.8 in earlier (2006 - beginning 2007) builds had quite a lot of troubles - if you go for one take care to take a 2008 model. 2.0 would probably be better in resale value than 1.8, just due to peoples mentality. In general IMHO there is not much difference between the two. If you need a punch and definitely a diesel then you better look at 2.2.

hi Scott

not been about much due to work I'm afraid (this will continue for the forseeable)

general consensus seems to be if you go with the 1.8 then get the 6spd box, in my opinion it depends what you are going to use the car for. If its going to be 1-4 up and a lot of motorway cruising with one eye on the wallet then the 1.8 although an older and heavier engine is 'enough'. However if you are going to load it to the gunnals and need it for all sorts then the 2.0 TDCI does have that little bit extra grunt which brings a smile - particularly on 18's :) - I have left reps in standard German repmobiles standing at the lights in it when needing to get away quickly into filter lanes, the look on their faces is priceless.

best solution - try them

there is supposed to be a 1.6 turbo petrol coming out possibly with a form of DSG box on it but AFAIK nothings been said officially yet.

My Mrs drives ours 80% of the time and I was worried that she would find it 1) too big, 2) its her first diesel 3) not liking the gear box after hondas - shouldnt have worried, shes taken to it like a duck to water and I have to prise the keys from her if I want a drive.

cheers

Z

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys for both of your replies.

Ok, here goes - I was after what seemed to be a decent 2.0 Diesel with low mileage when I got offered a good deal on a new car with low interest and a good £5k off the price. I guess that's fairly standard now but it was good enough for me....I'll report back on what I think of the 2.0 Diesel Zetec when I get it in 2 weeks!

Thanks,

Scott.