Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Squeeling Brakes......

exponential

Hi guys.

My Focus has the problem of squeeling/squeeking brakes but only after a journey on the motorway?

Not noticed or heard it at any other time except after high speed.

Have sprayed brake cleaning fluid (as directed by the local motor spares shop) directly onto and above the pads which seemed to rectify the problem but only for a short time.

The car has had an interim service recently from the place I bought it so I assume all necessary checks have been done and I trust the garage it came from.

I'm a novice compared to most on here so the problem may be obvious....

Thanks in advance.

Mike.

next step would be to purchase an anti squeal paste, copperslip or similar (there is another good product out there that acts like a sticky pad, but cant for life remember the name)

pads will have to be removed, all dust cleaned off from pads/caliper/carrier, apply the paste to back of pads and at any point the metal of the pad contacts metal on the caliper/carrier..also give any sliding pins a coating of copperslip or small amount of grease...reassemble..job done

if you find/use the sticky type paste, only use it on rear of pad, not on the pad to carrier joints or sliding pins

It sounds more like it needs a replacement set of pads? the brake squeal is more likely to be the vibration of the pad against the caliper than the pad against the disk...

next step would be to purchase an anti squeal paste, copperslip or similar (there is another good product out there that acts like a sticky pad, but cant for life remember the name)

pads will have to be removed, all dust cleaned off from pads/caliper/carrier, apply the paste to back of pads and at any point the metal of the pad contacts metal on the caliper/carrier..also give any sliding pins a coating of copperslip or small amount of grease...reassemble..job done

if you find/use the sticky type paste, only use it on rear of pad, not on the pad to carrier joints or sliding pins

Yeah, the shopkeeper mentioned what you have said but i dont have the tools or equipment needed to remove the wheels, pads etc etc.

Im taking the car down to where i got it from in the next couple of weeks to have the DPF removed/deleted and as it is under warranty, they may agree to whip the wheels off etc and sort it out??

Will just have to live with it until then i think....

@ jeebo: ive had a look at the pads and they all seem to have a good centimetre (ish) left on them although the rear ones were harder to see with alloys.

The rear pads seem much smaller than the front actually?

Front brakes need to be bigger because mass moves to the front of the car whilst braking, so a greater braking force is needed. That's why cars dip at the front under breaking.

• Like 1

Front brakes need to be bigger because mass moves to the front of the car whilst braking, so a greater braking force is needed. That's why cars dip at the front under breaking.

Thanks James. :)

Learn something new every day!

Hate being a noob at something! LOL

35 year old electrician and I don't understand movement of mass! Tut tut. :D

• Like 1

I don't know if the garage would do it under warranty, but its worth an ask. Changing front pads are not difficult at all, but the rears have a little more of a nack to them (I am still trying to understand the method before I go diving into it).

• Like 1

I don't know if the garage would do it under warranty, but its worth an ask. Changing front pads are not difficult at all, but the rears have a little more of a nack to them (I am still trying to understand the method before I go diving into it).

I may well have a good chance of them doing it to be honest.

Theyre a rareity in that they look after you even after any warranty is expired.

Will get them to take a look when i take it down in a couple of weeks.

Im the same as you, like to research things properly before I start on anything.

Im going to blank my EGR following Lenny's brilliant guide but im apprehensive about getting it wrong!

Got all the necessary tools and have re-read the guide numerous times yet im still scared of knackering my motor up!! :o

You cant really get the EGR wrong, in my case - it was a pain in the .... but you cant really do it wrong :)

Remember, if you cant do it, undo it!

• Like 1

You cant really get the EGR wrong, in my case - it was a pain in the .... but you cant really do it wrong :) Remember, if you cant do it, undo it!

Yeah, it looks relatively straightforward once you remove all the gubbins hiding it.

Its just because its my pride n joy and I dread mucking it up.

Like getting my hands dirty though and when its something new, then all the better! :)

Cant wait for the blank to be delivered so I can crack on.....

I wish you more luck than I had, lol, but its just my weird formation of the engine that made my life difficult, otherwise it seems to be and is reported as a straightforward process.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've noticed that my brakes squeel for a short period of time when they're cold when I set off to work in the mornings. They don't squeel like a pig after a few miles or so.

I've only had this car since June!!!! I don't want things going wrong wtih it already!

I'm not really bohered about it really. I'll just wait till my MOT/Service next June, til I ask my garage about them

I've noticed that my brakes squeel for a short period of time when they're cold when I set off to work in the mornings. They don't squeel like a pig after a few miles or so. I've only had this car since June!!!! I don't want things going wrong wtih it already! I'm not really bohered about it really. I'll just wait till my MOT/Service next June, til I ask my garage about them

Ive got a small list of things for the dealer look at under warranty when I take it down but this squeeling issue is getting a bit daft now.

Its really loud sometimes and can get a bit embarassing!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club