Do Not Sell My Personal Information

C-Max Auto Transmission - Reverse Light Not Working!

mj786

Hiya People,

I have an Automatic Ford C-MAX 1.6 TDCI (56 plate) and for some reason my reverse lights and parking aid do not turn on when the gear is engaged to reverse.

I have checked the fuses and bulbs and they seem to be okay. Just to make sure, is the fuse for the reverse lights No.84?

Also, the automatic gearboxes ... do they have a reverse light switch?

Thanks in advance

I have the same car, and I dont believe it has a reverse fuse. It sounds more like a wiring is failing to get a successful ground connection, which is why the circuit is not coming to life.

Start off by removing the rear (D?) Panel, and then remove the lights, then follow the wire to the ground point (I believe that's in the upper edge of the collumn) make sure that there is a secure connection.

I believe that the auto's do still have a reverse switch, but I will see if I can check my Haynes manual tonight and let you know :)

whats the (D?)? :S

Do you mean I should take off both my light clusters?

I am not really good with chasing wires ... do you have a picture where the earth point is?

Many Thanks

I wont be able to get a picture for a short while but if I can I will, if you remove the plastics that allow you to get to the light cluster, I think this is the D panel / column. so remove the plastic and look on the bare metal, I think its the upper corners...

Which D-panel do I take off? ... Left or Right?

What do I look out for?

I would be really grateful if u could upload a pic.

Many thanks

Hi jay remove both, I will try tomorrow...

No chance yet will take a look tomorrow if possible :-)

Having had a look, I cant find what I thought was the earth point there, so go back to the engine bay and check the earth points there, and ensure they are all in good condition.

• 2 weeks later...

what do I look out for in the engine bay ... I took it to the garage and they say to me it "could" be the gear selector switch and cost me around £300 to replace.

What cables are in the engine bay?

Really would appreciate your help.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Theres a full wiring harnass mate, unfortunately it can be anything, however, the reverse switches are notorious on these motors. I have a friend with a 2.0 manual diesel Focus CMAX, seems they have the same issue, and also you have the same issue with the Focus... You need to be looking at the gearbox area for the switch.