Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Td115 1.8 Tdci Issue

dazj

Hi All,

I recently noticed my car under performing. I have a 2009 1.8TDCi Focus Zetec.

Upon checking the engine bay I noticed a badly burnt wire and connector.

The car runs as it should when cold, when it gets up to temperature it stutters and large loss of power after 2200rpm. Also a larger than normal cloud of smoke puffs out of the exhaust when it is stuttering.

When it is warm the car starts ok and drives fine under 2200rpm.

Another point when the car starts stuttering I can hear what sounds like a boost leak (whoosh).

I have checked all boost pipes and these are all ok, I checked for fault codes and a "Low Fuel Pressure Fault" was showing. Also I have noticed an increase in fuel consumption although the MFD displays normal MPG.

I know I'm going to have to replace the glow plug loom but would this resolve the stuttering issue.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

post-37375-0-75874300-1377222296_thumb.j

Generally, the glow plugs are just for starting (on older designs of diesels, anyway)

But on more recent designs the glow plugs come on when the car is running (aparently)

One possibility is -

As the engine can produce a fair bit of smoke on startup if all the glowplugs are not working, it can produce pollution, so the ECU detects this and can put the car into a kind of "limp mode" - ironically if its just the glow plugs that are faulty the engine would otherwise run fine once warmed up (its a "emissions" thing - so you don't keep running the car)

The glow plugs fault should have shown up in the fault codes though

Sort the glow plugs/ glow plugs control module/ wiring 1st and see if that fixes it

Looking in the Haynes manual that is the fuel temp temp sensor so I should imagine change that and sort why the wires melted and it should cure your problem

in a word no it wont, your stuttering issue is with another fault.... the loom will cost 14 quid approx from ford, i replace mine 2 weeks ago, as it was melted just like yours..... but i ran the car for a couple of months with no live feed connected so they were not working....

• 6 months later...

Hello everyone I have a Ford focus 1.8 tdci 2008 mk3 and I noticed the glow plug wire has been melting as their is a constant live feed around 14 volts going through it now I've been told their should be, but just for a few seconds until the glow plugs are hot enough to heat the diesel and then after that their should be no more volts. Could anyone help or give me some idea what it could be please??

if the loom has burnt/melted away just like mine did then replace it.... ive never tested the voltage, never needed to....

Glow plugs will turn on when a temperature sensor tells the glow plug
control circuit that the engine is cold. The glow plugs will turn on
untill they heat up to the right temperature. Normally this is measured
by the resistance and consequently the amount of current that passes
through the glow plugs. As the glow plugs heat up they resist the
current slowing it down to fewer amps then before. When the glow plug
circuit senses that the glow plugs have reached this low current
threshhold, which indicates that they are hot enough, the circuit turns
off and the driver starts the engine.

• 6 months later...

Its been a long time since i had a diesel but when this happened on older cars it was a fault in the glow plug relay not switching off causing the plugs to melt

• 1 month later...

Hmmmm I'm starting to wish I'd bought another Oss n cart!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

• 2 months later...

I have the same problem at the moment regarding the melting connector. Did you manage to rectify the problem by getting the wiring loom from ford? I rang the ford parts desk and apparently they don't sell this item...

Still waiting for VOSA to complete their investigation on this.

any news???

Hi everyone,

Yes Ford fixed the problem by replacing 2 looms. The glow plug loom was replaced and also the main loom the joins off the plastic block where the glow plug loom joins. The total cost was around 500 quid. From memory the glow plug loom is like 20 quid but the main one was a couple of hundred. With labour, diagnostics and a few other parts was around 500.

I will try dig out the invoice so if it has any part numbers.

Vosa actually emailed me today. The had a meeting with Ford before Xmas and they have identified the cause apparently. Vosa told me no fires had been reported as a result however I'm sure I found a thread where the car went up.

Ford are apparently meeting either this week or next and this issue is on the agenda so vosa should have am answer soon.

Cheers

Allister

Thanks, ahh looks like i'm going to be busy this weekend then! Don't fancy paying £500 so i'll have to replace it myself if i can get the part. Would be interesting to know the cause of the problem, i couldn't find anything that would cause it. The relay tested fine and everything.

It seems the cable attached to the box on the other side is melting too! Ford told me they can only offer me a whole engine loom which is hundreds!

• 2 weeks later...

Update from VOSA - 7th Jan

"I can understand the concern far better now. The work has not concluded so there is not too much I can say.

I know what the cause of the concern is.

There have been no fires reported, only heat generated in a certain area.

The Ford Safety Committee is meeting this week and the concern is on the agenda. So the conclusion, I hope, will appear next week."

VOSA - 15th Jan

"I can understand that it is frustrating for you not knowing the cause of the incident to your vehicle but I cannot divulge any information until the investigation is concluded.

As soon as I can finalise the report I will contact you to inform you of the outcome. As there are still questions to be answered I am now hoping to conclude in 3 - 4 weeks."

Cheers

Allister

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I can confirm that have had a fire due to the senor at the top of the loom, which has totally burnt out, then causing the engine cover to go on fire.

I was close to home and put out fire and car away to ArnoldClark although they are saying not covered on the warranty they provided.

Looking like is a common problem. might contact ford about it now and see what they say

• 1 year later...

respected.

sorry for bad English
I have the same problem with the burned cable of glow plugs on the Ford Focus 1.8 TDCI Duratorq.
glow plugs are correct
reley correct
what should I do?

• 1 year later...

Hi 

I have the cmax 1.8 recipe 58 plate and I’m having the same problems my car has been deemed unsafe to drive until I replace the looms.. 

has as anyone got the part numbers for both looms? 

Also may look at scrap yards for the parts. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club