63 replies to this topic

#16 JAR897

JAR897

Serial Poster

• PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  • Ford Model: Ford Fiesta MK7 Titanium 1.6 TiVCT

Posted 07 April 2009 - 02:45 PM

I realy want to install a sub into the back. The space isn't an issue so I don't mind that. I am however apprihensive to installing the sub - I would get halfords to do it for me but it's rediculously priced. I'm going to order the same sub as Steve (159 I think?).

Where did you get your sub from Steve?
Do you think halfords would install a sub I didn't buy directly from them?
Would halfords make a mess of my new beauty?
Does the sub effect the insurance?

It's the wiring I'm worried about, such as where the power cable goes etc..

I would also mount the sub sideways to save space... And possibly put it on the 40% seat split to allow the 60% seat to be folded down and utalised if needed.

I think the installation will be a bit tricky though.

Any tips or things I will need specifically? Thanks!!

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 squaddiefox

squaddiefox

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Ford Model: fiesta flame
Posted 07 April 2009 - 08:58 PM

if you need a hand mate, pop round to mine (after the weekend as im going off-roading) i've done a few installs. i'll let you do the bits, as you will know what you are doing then. i'll help you out with the positioning of wires and routing and sort all the connections and any difficult bits for you. im only in brum, kings norton. im not a rip off merchant like halfrauds either!

#18 TitaniumSteve

TitaniumSteve

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Mk7 1.6 TDCi Titanium

Posted 07 April 2009 - 10:07 PM

couple of things, i know i haven't posted much so i hope you don't mind, with the power cable running next to the audio cable you are likely to get a slight whistling sound as you accelerate from the subwoofer. the best way to avoid it is to run the cables either on opposite sides or run one up the middle of the car and the other down the side.

is that power cable fused? if not i would get a fuse in their sharpish, no point paying out good money for a car and audio equipment and frying it when you get a voltage peak and burn out the power cable to the amplifier. as you said, it runs passed sound proofing which is quite combustible.

one last thing, why point the sub to the rear of the car? just makes the boot vibrate and makes a decent guitar riff sound crap if turned up.

Hi,

You are absolutly right about the power cable it is meant to be on a different side to the control cables I meant to put this in my write up. I was aware of this when I was doin the job however I wanted to keep the job fairly simple and has my car has dual controls fitted to it already I did not have to worry about upsetting the carpet on both sides etc. Plus it is only a 'maybe' that you will get interference has it depends on all sought of this, like how well car is earthed, how well it is screened from other cables plus how good the quality of the cable is. This is proven with my set up as I have been driving with sub installed for couple of days now and I have absolutly no interference at all.

Point 2. Of course the power cable is fused this this I assumed was basic. My guide was not meant to be a full degree course it is a guide. There is loads and loads of detail I could have gone into has I have been installing sound system in cars for 20 years, but I did not have time to write a thesis.

point 3. It makes no diffrence at all as to which way you point the subs as bass is non directional, what will make the car vibrate is if it is turned up to loud and if the car does not have sound insulation. I will repeat this is a very basic install it is not meant to be a full boot install it cost 150 hardly a pro install, my other car I have recently spent hundreds and hundreds of pounds and several weekends setting up with a full boot install. My fiesta is my works car and I only installed the sub to 'enhance' the sound not to take to a ICE show.

My guide was only to help plp out as it is a new desighn car and I assumed nobody would know how to take them apart confidently, I was merely trying to help out. :D

#19 squaddiefox

squaddiefox

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Ford Model: fiesta flame
Posted 07 April 2009 - 11:17 PM

ok, no worries, i was just pointing out a few things. as some may not be aware.

try turn it round and check the difference, some cars it does make a difference as the bass reverberates on the bootlid. most of which are hollow so make a nasty sound. some cars or ears will hardly notice it.

#20 Robs-Zetec-S

Robs-Zetec-S

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Ford Model: Mk7 Fiesta Zetec-S
Posted 03 May 2009 - 01:44 PM

Hi Steve,
I Thought Your Step By Step Was Top Job, Just Finishing Wiring It Up To Me 1.6 TDCi Zetec-S,
Just Two Quick Questions,
Does It Matter If I Go Through Either The Front Or Rear Speakers For An RCA Point?,
Ive Taken the Out Put From The Rear Speakers?,
And Which Settings Have you Got The Headunit On?, I Just Seem To Be Getting Alot Of Bass From The Front Only get the Sub Coming In Small Amounts lol,
Sounds Gud Atm But Want Abit More From The Rear, Could You Help?,

Thanks Again Steve,

Regards,

Rob

#21 Luke Pompey

Luke Pompey

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta

Posted 17 May 2009 - 11:39 PM

Thanks! Used your guides to get it all installed. Can't get a decent Earth tho :(

#22 Petey1978

Petey1978

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Ford Model: Ford Fiesta Titanium
Posted 14 June 2009 - 11:25 AM

Can anyone tell me wires are for the front speakers and which are the rear. I want to make sure my sub is on the front speakers as sometimes I fade sound to the front only as it gets too loud for passengers in the rear.

#23 beatty36

beatty36

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec S 1.6TDCi

Posted 07 August 2009 - 02:40 PM

I'm looking at the exact same sub you have Steve for 139 from HERE! What do you think?

I would install it myself - but am a perfectionist and would not want ANY wires to be showing ANYWHERE without using ANY trunking etc.

Also, could you point the sub sideways to free up more room in your car. How is the sub secured to the boot so it doesn't roll around?

You can now get an adaptor for active subs, which means that you can simply plug the sub in and it will work, leaving all the wires where they are. This will mean that you can have the extra boot space when you need it and its very easily installed. I htink they only cost about 10 pounds if even. SHould be on the halfords website.

#24 plunder

plunder

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 03:21 AM

Hello there...
Do you have a link to this or any more information?
I looked on the Halfords site but could not find it.

thank you,

Mark.

#25 Ronnie Roberts

Ronnie Roberts

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta 1.6 TDCI Titanium 3Dr Hot Magenta
Posted 09 September 2009 - 07:57 AM

is it possible to run the power cable through the wing and then in through the door gromet which runs the electric window cables from door - car? thats the way we usually puy them in... bit fiddly but least it hides the cables...

i didnt want to loose boot space so im looking at the pioneer TS-WX11A as it fits under the passangers seat... not massive bass but its the best of both worlds... comes with the stereo to rca convertor and the amp is built in... only downside! the price!!!

also considered the TS-WX77A but its stupid money!!

#26 Focus_ST-3

Focus_ST-3

Too much time on the boards

• PipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Ford Model: Mk2
Posted 09 September 2009 - 02:39 PM

I am also looking at the Pioneer TS-WX 11A. Do you think it would fit under the spare wheel?

I cant justify 100 extra for the TS-WX77A

#27 Ronnie Roberts

Ronnie Roberts

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta 1.6 TDCI Titanium 3Dr Hot Magenta
Posted 09 September 2009 - 03:52 PM

I am also looking at the Pioneer TS-WX 11A. Do you think it would fit under the spare wheel?

I cant justify 100 extra for the TS-WX77A

not sure but i would be a little concered with air flow and cooling if it was in the spare wheel compartment...

i thought the 77 was 140 more? i know the rrp is stupid on the 77! Im planning to put the 11 under drivers seat and just leave it there!

#28 spitfire123

spitfire123

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Ford Model: fiesta
Posted 09 September 2009 - 04:20 PM

couple of things, i know i haven't posted much so i hope you don't mind, with the power cable running next to the audio cable you are likely to get a slight whistling sound as you accelerate from the subwoofer. the best way to avoid it is to run the cables either on opposite sides or run one up the middle of the car and the other down the side.

is that power cable fused? if not i would get a fuse in their sharpish, no point paying out good money for a car and audio equipment and frying it when you get a voltage peak and burn out the power cable to the amplifier. as you said, it runs passed sound proofing which is quite combustible.

one last thing, why point the sub to the rear of the car? just makes the boot vibrate and makes a decent guitar riff sound crap if turned up.

what direction would you point the sub in then matey?

without it looking poo...

cheers

#29 plunder

plunder

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 02:13 AM

Can anyone tell me wires are for the front speakers and which are the rear. I want to make sure my sub is on the front speakers as sometimes I fade sound to the front only as it gets too loud for passengers in the rear.

Hi there,
Is titaniumsteve still about?

I too would love to to know what the colour codes are for the front (4 speakers) and the rear (2 speakers) on the back of the headunit?
Anyway of getting a wiring diagram for this from anywhere? There is nothing in the manual that i can see.

Mark.

#30 InstructorPiggy

InstructorPiggy

Too much time on the boards

• PipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Mk7 TDCI ZS

Posted 15 December 2009 - 10:01 PM

Just a suggestion, all install I do, I run the power cable under the car, cable tie at regular inetrvals normally to the other cables running underside, then come up in the boot either through a drainage plug (hole in it, then sylcone) or drive a hole, seal and grommet.

Just need to jack up the one side!!

Think I may consider amping just the speakers and replace standard speakers...

Or the spare wheel well is a handy size...could build a sub box to fit in there or you can gt compact sub boxes...means you wouldn't lose room :)

Good guide....still don't get how you got the two speaker jacks to amp to go into the multipoint connector??? :huh:

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users