Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fuel Filter On 1.8 Tdci

orangeboy

Hi Guys,

I would like to change the fuel filter in my 1.8 TDCI, the only thing that's stopping me is, without the special tool, how do I bleed the fuel into the filter housing?

The manual states that a vacuum pipe should be attached to the bleed outlet and fuel drawn into the housing.

Has anyone on here done this before? How did you do it? did you use an improvised tool?

Thanks in advance...

Brian

You need a vacuum pump or a priming bulb.

Put it this way, even with the right kit it can take 20 - 30 minutes to get the beggars started.

Why they didn't fit the filter housings with in-built priming bulbs like on most other diesels I'll never know.

Thanks for the warning. Being it's my only mode of transport, I might just ask my local garage to do it.

Seems a bit of a nonsense though that I can't change a simple filter without all this hassle...

A syringe and some patience to fill the housing completely before up try to start it, it takes quite a bit and its slow going but it works with no need for any 'special' tools.

It is a poor design though

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

just make sure its brimmed with diesel before putting the new filter in and you shouldnt have any problems. soak the filter with diesel too which should help abit

• Like 1

I serviced my car this year, was dead proud when I did it all and started it ...heart sank when it cut out 10 seconds later!!

I ended up brimming as best I could with a length of shower hose and then sucking it through with my mouth by putting it on the top of the filter cap whilst it was shut

...I REALLY wouldn't recommend it!! lol

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just done mine for the first time dead easy, just filled to the brim, started the engine let it idle, it cut out, then just kept cranking for a few seconds at a time, it eventually started :)

• Like 1

hopefully you guys havent flattened your battery in the process of priming? or was anyone that unfortunate?

• Like 1

No, I'm North of the Border. I might actually just nip in to my local Ford dealer and get them to do it...Gulp!

The problem for me is I need the car to take the kids to school, so a non starter is not really an option!

The change is easy... .. it's getting it started that's prob occurs lol....... some ppl av it easy, some hard...

My first time was a breeze this time (same car) a tad different lol.... just remember replace the o ring ontop on new filter

• Like 1

Not now, about 4 weeks ago yes.... thought my low pressure pump was knackered as I couldn't start it, n the pump made no noise at all even wiyh rear seats out n carpet up.... had a voltmeter on electrics and had power there.....

• 1 month later...

A bit late on this one but it may help someone. The last time I changed mine I messed about for ages trying to get it bled again but this time it was no problem ,fired and ran first time.

After replacing the filter leave the bleed screw on top of the housing open and both fuel line connectors off.

Using a syringe or something like to fill the filter housing from the OUTLET opening until it flows out of the bleed nipple .It takes a surprising amount.

Now fill inlet line and connect to filter housing.

The outlet line is held in place with several clips,pull it free and and bring it under the inter cooler pipe so you can hold the fuel line high enough to run all the air bubbles to the open end. Fill the line with the syringe until it overflows then blank the end (you should get some blanking plugs with filter)

Now reroute outlet line under inter cooler pipe remove blank and connect to filter housing.

It sounds complicated but it's not really it only takes a few minutes but it worked great for me.

ive done my filter 3 times since i got my car...1st time consisted of me not having a car for 3 days because i didnt bleed the system and there was an airlock...got to a point where the battery had a few hits left on it before it died completely.

2nd time i brimmed the fuel filter. when it went to stall i floored the pedal and it stayed alive!!!! muhahahaha

3rd time...muggins didnt put the rubber seal on correctly so it took loads of air in...Had to walk 2 miles to local fuel station with a jerry can...still couldnt get the sod started or primed, i called RAC gave them a story of having my filter changed at a garage and i just found a pipe loose. He got his syphon out and got it going for me :)...

in the end i bought http://www.toolbox.co.uk/draper-43986-diesel-priming-7464-65871 - exact same as what RAC carry.

good recommendation there John, you and your fuel filters ;)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club