Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ice Blue Xenon Light Bulbs Hid Set

Jaspal

Hi guys I was thinking about installing ice blue xenon light bulbs for my fiesta I am not sure about fitting these bulbs as I have heard they are illegal if fitted to car as a aftermarket mod can any firm this thanks Jaspal

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-FIESTA-MK6-02-06-XENON-BULBS-ICE-BLUE-HID-SET-/330384676825?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4cec7617d9

The Department of Transport are very clear on the matter and state:

"Under the Road Traffic Act 1988 it is an offence to supply, fit or use vehicle parts which are not legal. .... In summary it is not permitted to convert an existing halogen headlamp unit for use with HID bulbs. The entire headlamp unit must be replaced with one designed and approved for use with HID bulbs and it must be installed in accordance with the rules stated".

Ever been blinded with incorrectly fitted HIDS ? The trouble with forums is that they're not really thinking about endangering the lives of other road users or other legalities. It's all about the look.

Thanks for advise much appreciated

While I entirely agree with everything 'fordmad12' has said, the items in the eBay link do not appear to be HIDs. They are just HID effect xenon bulbs. These are perfectly legal. Maybe im wrong but someone else take a look at the link...

Thanks for the advise I don't know much about the xenon hid bulbs

First off, just avoid proper aftermarket HIDs. Some will disagree with this but they are against the law, will fail an MOT and are often quite dangerous for other road users.

Second of all, you are unlikely to improve the lights on your car with £7.50 worth of bulbs from eBay. Get some philips or osram bulbs from powerbulbs (or similar website) and you will get a much better product. Im a fan of the philips xtreme vision range but I admit it wont give the blue-ish HID effect you might be after.

• Like 1

ok thanks I will have a look I am currently running the orsam night breaker bulbs

You are legally allowed to fit xenon kits to tour car, and they will pass an MOT, provided,,,,,,1. the car has self leveling headlights, 2, the car is equipped with headlight washers. Having these will permit these lights as legal. But I don't think the fiesta has either, so although you may get away with them driving round (depending how keen your local law enforcement are) they will not be classed as legal.

Thanks for the advice I am going to forgot the idea the cov police aren't the greatest police force

You are legally allowed to fit xenon kits to tour car, and they will pass an MOT, provided,,,,,,1. the car has self leveling headlights, 2, the car is equipped with headlight washers. Having these will permit these lights as legal. But I don't think the fiesta has either, so although you may get away with them driving round (depending how keen your local law enforcement are) they will not be classed as legal.

This is a fuller answer but the same as what I was getting at. Nobody is realistically going to add all the self-levelling kit and washers so adding HIDs is essencially illegal. It might be possible if you were adding this stuff to a car where HIDs are an OE but on a car like a fiesta where they have never been offered from the factory, it would be near impossible to make road legal. Therefore an MOT fail.

It is illegal to fit HID's to a car that wasn't originally fitted with them. The ones in your link as said arent HID's just the effect but they're cheapo ones and youll be lucky if they last a month plus they still wont be technically road legal. If you want my advice (and ive spent alot of money trying to find decent bulbs for the same effect) buy a set of these http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=190880773193

Either that or osram hyperblue. They arent strictly road legal but you'll be very unlucky if you ever get pulled for them

Thanks for the advise I will have a look into that

I know those bulbs are more expensive but trust me when I say you're better sticking to known brand names. Osram, Philips and Ring are all decent brands

thanks for the advise everyone much appreciated I am currently using osram night breaker bulbs which really help compared to the original bulbs fitted to the car

I have HID's, I love them but I don't recommend them in case you end up getting pulled >_>

The Department of Transport are very clear on the matter and state:

"Under the Road Traffic Act 1988 it is an offence to supply, fit or use vehicle parts which are not legal. .... In summary it is not permitted to convert an existing halogen headlamp unit for use with HID bulbs. The entire headlamp unit must be replaced with one designed and approved for use with HID bulbs and it must be installed in accordance with the rules stated".

Ever been blinded with incorrectly fitted HIDS ? The trouble with forums is that they're not really thinking about endangering the lives of other road users or other legalities. It's all about the look.

Those bulbs linked arent hids anyway, i'm running hids in mine at the minute and dont blind anyone due to the fact that we have lenses that have a cut off point, mine are actually less dazzling than modern audi/bmw/mercs.

I have HID's, I love them but I don't recommend them in case you end up getting pulled >_>

Ditto