Do Not Sell My Personal Information

It's A Fiesta Tdci Adventure! (Picture Heavy)

baileydog62

Long time stalker, time for a build thread!

This is the wee beastie the day I picked it up from Pentagon in Sheffield last year.

414164_10150885402973450_380613750_o.jpg

The spec from the dealer;

Zetec S 1.6 TDCi 95 2010

Leather

Illumination pack (LED gear knob & scuff plates, leather and chrome handbrake)

City Pack (Rear sensors, powerfold mirrors)

Mods so far;

Clayed and buffed.

Calipers and drums painted.

Red LED footwell lights.

Sony headunit retrofit (custom loom)

Infinity amp (stealth mounted)

RCA Speakers converters

Infinity 17cm component with tweeters (OE positions)

EGR blanking plate

Bluefin (Zoom zoom)

17" Pro Race 3 with Toyo tires

Soundproofing and deadening

On the list;

Paintwork mopped.

Cruise control retrofit. (once I find a cheap steering wheel)

Eibach springs

300mm brake upgrade

Maybe change the amp.

A summary of the 1000 photo's

IMG_0486.jpg

IMG_0471.jpg

IMG_0463.jpgIMG_3007_zps0d5d607c.jpgIMG_29991_zps0877279a.jpg

Highlights so far;

Footwell LED's plug and play.

It likes a diet of Shell V power diesel and Millers ecomax (much less lag)

Fun and games figuring out the custom loom for the Sony (pre 2011 car with the wrong connections).

Sony HU much better than the standard but the standard Speakers can't take the extra bass.

The tweeters are definitely the weakest part of the OE set-up.

Figured out a better way of running the amp power other than through the bulkhead.

IMG_3011_zpse17f4f7e.jpg

All comments welcome.

liking what you have done so far and nice looking car.

imo them wheels will look sweet.

Small purchases.

EGR blanking plate, just waiting for the swear jar to be delivered and we can get fitting.

IMG_40291_zpscf98180e.jpg

And a batch of materials to knock up another Sony retrofit loom.

IMG_40301_zps3eb45253.jpg

Sad news, got a windscreen stone chip on the way to work this morning. The cold fog made way for the sunshine and a 10" crack developed, discovered by me after a hard days pointing my finger. Autoglass booked for a replacement, Gavin's special resin won't be up to filling my crack this time.

article-1261400-00CFC89900000190-531_306

really liking what you have done with the car especially the sony unit and the amp to power the Speakers.

did you replace the front and back Speakers? i'm guessing so as it looks like a 4 channel amp you have

was the sony loom hard to make up? my car is 2011 model so i'm not sure if that effects the wiring compared to 2010, i haven't got around to take it out and have a look yet.

bad luck about the windscreen, a stone flew up and hit mine today as well, luckily it didn't crack

really liking what you have done with the car especially the sony unit and the amp to power the speakers.

did you replace the front and back speakers? i'm guessing so as it looks like a 4 channel amp you have

was the sony loom hard to make up? my car is 2011 model so i'm not sure if that effects the wiring compared to 2010, i haven't got around to take it out and have a look yet.

bad luck about the windscreen, a stone flew up and hit mine today as well, luckily it didn't crack

Just the fronts on this occasion, the amp only being 2 channel (JBL 75.2), my toddle sits right next to the rear speaker so it made no sense to amp it.

Yours should be ok given the age but you never can tell with the random way Ford builds their cars. The loom was easy to build once I figured out which wires to connect, My Sony came with the original plug which helped figuring it out the wire colours.

IMG_0454.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

EGR blanking take 2, since I found the blanking plate had made its way on to the undertray time for another go.

Having learnt the hard way, this time was soooo much easier. Headlights loosened, both scuttle trims removed for easy access.

IMG_4344_zpsed937829.jpg

Down the back of the engine, the top bolt and EGR highlighted.

39cfbbc1-4117-4da4-9a7e-34d7adcfcb54_zps

The bottom pig-of-job bolt was undone with an 8mm ratchet spanner, still 5 minutes worth of small movements but it moved enough for the plate to slip in. Refitting is the reverse of removal as the say, best done after a test drive to make sure the EGR it sealed & seated. The last time I had a whistle at 3k rpm (without the bottom bolt) so I knew what I was looking for. Since I run the car on Shell Nitro and Millers EcoMax I wasn't expecting a massive increase in power plus the ECU will take a few miles to twig there's colder air going in. This said, the mod will stop crap clogging up the turbo so its more than worth the £4 and a set of grazed knuckles. Also no funny dash lights, will report back after a week of A1 travel for an mod update.

Other bits to report. Bought a 2nd hand set of front standard Speakers for when I get bored of the Infinity's and want to use the amp for a sub. It badly needs a winter detail, time to get the snowfoam out!

969027_10151565550153450_1445456721_n.jp

• 4 weeks later...

Busy busy! A small lottery win helped finance my next steps, purchases first.

Small 4 channel amp so I can add a sub to the system.

New number plates.

Sound proofing materials (foil backed sound deadener, 20mm felt, acoustic foam)

18mm MDF

b581cf87-ea11-4e78-91e5-424a05d08496_zps

First job was to change the plastic speaker mounts to MDF rings and deaden the doors, one got done today between showers (no photos I'm afraid). After putting the door back together, a test between front Speakers (bass turned up more than usual) showed the 'deadened' door to give tighter bass and no rattle. Can't wait to get the other side done, should take photo's this time.

• Like 1

Old amp out, 4-channel in. The RCA converter was removed as the amp had a high level input and there was no room for an extra converter behind the Sony. Fronts had a channel each and the rear (running the sub) was bridged across the last 2. This enables me to control the sub level through the Sony, turning down when I have small guests and up when the mood takes me. While running the cables, I had a mad 5 minutes and removed all the rear interior. I sound deadened the rear quarters and boot floor, and stuffed with acoustic foam and felt, all of which will prevent road noise and bass vibrations.

Time for the box. I wanted to still be able to use the boot so I went for a side mount. The side of the mk7 boot is flat so there was no need for a custom fibreglass box, an MDF structure cut to fit the depth of the boot would do the trick.

IMG_4474_zpse34a363d.jpg

IMG_4475_zps38d86a47.jpg

IMG_4476_zps9605c19a.jpg

IMG_4477_zpsb9ad3820.jpg

The inside was filled with foam to increase the volume and made airtight with bathroom sealant. Acoustic cloth ordered for trimming to match the boot, should be here next week.

The amp powered up with no issues and because it only has basic settings (hi/low/full crossover ranges and bass boost) it didn't take much fiddling to have the fronts and sub working together. The Sony was set to full front/half rear which gives me the option of more or less bass, or sub off just by adjusting the balance. Across all types of music the system performed very well giving its limits, the only vibrations were from the actual door trims. I would imagine I need something between the trim and inner panel to stop movement, or turn the stereo up louder lol!

• 9 months later...

Much has happened in Fiesta world. First off, a trimmed box to keep things tidy.

ava9abaz.jpg

New boots!

e7u8a7ar.jpg

uhyjasaj.jpg

OEM HID install and removal. (Looked too out of place, even with 4300k bulbs)

IMG_5621_zps01618504.jpgIMG_5613_zpsfe0caea1.jpgIMG_5608_zps5d4cba00.jpgIMG_5609_zps04fcb7d9.jpg

This hit my desk from the good people at Superchips promising a 26bhp/48nm increase.

IMG_5605_zpsa3145c61.jpg

The car has turned into a right wee beastie. Its never going to be ST quick but the rev range has dramatically increased making making a spirited drive more entertaining and normal cruising a pleasure. Might need to look at the brakes now......

Nice mods, I'm interrested how you fit the whole ballast inside the light, doesn't it get to hot in there? with the HID lights? and I like the lit up gear lever, gives a nice touch

• 1 month later...

Nice mods, I'm interrested how you fit the whole ballast inside the light, doesn't it get to hot in there? with the HID lights? and I like the lit up gear lever, gives a nice touch

The ballast was a slimline unit which fitted just on top of the access point. If you look in the headlights there's loads of space to slip the cables and plugs in. Heat, I did quite a bit of research and found it not an issue. BMW owners have been putting their ballasts internally for a while without issue.

Loving the boots mates where you get them? :)

Thanks, Rim style.

• 1 month later...

Did you have any issues with Rimstyle?

Purchased my Zetec S 4 weeks ago, however not a big fan of low profile tyres. Car looks stunning ans drives very wel, also got brand new tyres, however want to sell whole set and buy from Rimstyle something like 185/65R15 as I love thick tyres,

Kris

Cheers guys.

The blufin has settled down so the mpg has returned to normal even with a spirited hoon every so often. *like*

• Like 1