Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help Needed Please - No Hair Left!!

stels

there are loggers that power off the car, but draw about the same current as a clock so should be no problem

Cheers! incidentally i wrote to the one and only owner of the Fiesta before me. Didn't expect a reply, but she did reply about 6 weeks later. She told me that the battery is the original battery. She had kept it well maintained. Probably had it on a trickle too. Well it's still going strong 11 years later. My tester shows it's still holding a good charge.For now. ;)

Well i took it out this morning and within about 2 miles of starting it conked out. 5 miles later it conked out again and then after a further 2 miles it died yet again. The steering never went into lock this time as each time it happened at a junction when the car was pointing straight and not in a turn. If the Data Logger does its job it should pick up the problem from that, I hope!

I have noticed that air is not circulating around the car in accordance with the various indicators on the air distribution control, except for the centre and side vents. it certainly isn't blowing up through the front screen. Reading up on this problem, I note that it could be a heater fan resistor problem. The resistor is located in the very area where the Data Logger has been fitted. Could it be anything to do with that by any chance?

Also, no matter where i look on the web, there isn't a great deal of conversation nor information about Data Loggers in respect of autos. Strange that, as they seem to be an essential tool in the armour of any keen car enthusiast interested in mechanics. Can't even find any mention of its connection point in my Haynes. Not to worry, I shall plod on regardless.

Not sure that it would be the data logger, but it could have been disabled to prevent damage to the box.

I would take the car back as unsafe to drive, and ask them to look at the data logger now. They shouldnt have a problem with doing this...

Not sure that it would be the data logger, but it could have been disabled to prevent damage to the box.

I would take the car back as unsafe to drive, and ask them to look at the data logger now. They shouldnt have a problem with doing this...

Thanks James, the car has gone back. They haven't got time today, unless they do get a moment, to look at the data. Call me a pessimist but I have a feeling even the data logger won't pick up the fault. I was told that the blower/ demister will be nothing to do with plugging the DL into the ECU but they will have look at that problem also. Cheers and please watch this space.

Hmmm strange one, to me now sounds more like something to do with the accelerater side of the car as the throttle bouncing around and reving on ots own like its stuck or slack almost

Could be as simple as a Throttle Position Sensor, or accelerator switch error, but hopefully the readings on the ECU (various resistance readings on the wires) would indicate if there is too much or too little resistance, showing a faulty switch...

Hopefully they come back with something, but its better in the garage, if a car does anything like cutting out with no reason, or driving itself without any interaction, it really needs to be kept off the road (better safe than sorry!)

I remember hearing about a guy once who ended up crashing at a roundabout once because his throttle jammed open in a toyota was all over the news and he was on the phone to the police as it was all happening, so like jee says better safe than on back of a lorry.

• Like 1

I remember that recall, wasnt it at the same time that they recalled them for the gas pedal issue, they also had to recall it as the brakes were failing?

I wonder if they had to pay for the repairs or if customers had to claim on their insurance...?

data loggers basicly record as you drive, it can then be downloaded and checked over, you just need to jump to the points that show irregularities..in this case, the idle.

you then check all other sensor outputs at that time, hopefully it will either indicate a managment problem, sduch as cam sensor out of sync... or will show that managment is working fine and problem lies elsewhere, such as fuel pressure problem causing managment to compensate..

brilliant bits of kit, but takes an expert to fully comprehend whats going on if problem isnt obvious.

im still learning with these puppies, normally send data off to an expert for their opinion when the problem is less obvious.

re the toyota recalls...from experience, toyota is far and away, streets ahead of other mannufacturers when it comes to taking the hit..that recent recall with the throttle cost them billions, but unlike some other manufacturers, rarely did you have to fight for it.

had a 7yr old avensis with melted headlight reflectors recently, would have cost approx £800 to fix, till i found out that it fell just inside an extended warranty that they issued for this problem..arranged for repair at zero cost without any problem...very impressed, especially compared to numerous fights with renault ive had to deal with over dash problems, even then its done at reduced cost not gratis

• Like 1

Hmmm strange one, to me now sounds more like something to do with the accelerater side of the car as the throttle bouncing around and reving on ots own like its stuck or slack almost

Mark, when it's cold there does seem to be a lot more choke than necessary, especially at this time of the year. It can race along without giving it lots of pedal. Equally it can go from that to just cutting out once I have applied the brakes.

Anyway nobody has called me from the garage so it will be a question of waiting until tomorrow to see if the miracle worker the data logger has captured the problem. But like i say, i don't hold out much hope.

Incidentally, after it conked out on me for the third time today I drove it home about 3 miles and it drove as if nothing was wrong. Smooth too with the RPM's a steady 750. Earlier it was running at 900 RPM that's when it wasn't conking out altogether. Oh dear...why me? :angry: :D

im going to lay money on coolant temp sensor, fits in with everything you've said and rarely logs a fault code when they arent doing what they're supposed to....

but then again...there is good reason why i dont bet :D

data loggers basicly record as you drive, it can then be downloaded and checked over, you just need to jump to the points that show irregularities..in this case, the idle.

you then check all other sensor outputs at that time, hopefully it will either indicate a managment problem, sduch as cam sensor out of sync... or will show that managment is working fine and problem lies elsewhere, such as fuel pressure problem causing managment to compensate..

brilliant bits of kit, but takes an expert to fully comprehend whats going on if problem isnt obvious.

im still learning with these puppies, normally send data off to an expert for their opinion when the problem is less obvious.

re the toyota recalls...from experience, toyota is far and away, streets ahead of other mannufacturers when it comes to taking the hit..that recent recall with the throttle cost them billions, but unlike some other manufacturers, rarely did you have to fight for it.

had a 7yr old avensis with melted headlight reflectors recently, would have cost approx £800 to fix, till i found out that it fell just inside an extended warranty that they issued for this problem..arranged for repair at zero cost without any problem...very impressed, especially compared to numerous fights with renault ive had to deal with over dash problems, even then its done at reduced cost not gratis

Tony, that's the bit which you mention about the DL requiring an expert to read the information it produces. In the end i might have to take it to a Ford dealership. Maybe the guys dealing with it will ask Ford for the answer if they can't. The guy dealing with me said they would. That was before fitting the DL and even mentioning it.

Like reading the stuff about other cars and their problems that you have mentioned. It's all useful knowledge. Cheers mate.

im going to lay money on coolant temp sensor, fits in with everything you've said and rarely logs a fault code when they arent doing what they're supposed to....

but then again...there is good reason why i dont bet :D

That's something I hadn't considered. The gauge always reads normal.

Could be as simple as a Throttle Position Sensor, or accelerator switch error, but hopefully the readings on the ECU (various resistance readings on the wires) would indicate if there is too much or too little resistance, showing a faulty switch...

Hopefully they come back with something, but its better in the garage, if a car does anything like cutting out with no reason, or driving itself without any interaction, it really needs to be kept off the road (better safe than sorry!)

Totally agree. Thanks again.

temp guage is seperate from the temp sensor im referring to..the cts is purely for engine managment so wont affect guage readings

Yeah was a toyota that went mad lol wouldn't like to be toyota im sure they recalled something like 2 million cars,

Is the car we are talking aboit at the moment a electronic accelerator?

Pretty much all modern cars are fly by wire now

One of the lads in the Mondeo section had this issue recently, IIRC he replaced his accelerator pedal, which cleared the problems.

the old days of motoring! leverage, and carburetor! the days when you could really do some tuning!

Used to be awesome lol rubbish now I still prefer oldcars easy to maintain just as they get oolder cost more to maintain

Well here I am again gents, 200 miles away from home, and I don't know if my auto problem is any further forward. I telephoned them this afternoon and asked how the tests on the data logger had worked out, as I had left it with them on Wednesday because it had broken down 4 times that day so the DL must have picked up the faults. Sorry I was told, the lads have had your car out on the road testing it and no probs found, in fact he told me he had taken it home yesterday evening to test it after it had been left overnight. Still nor problems. I then asked what were the results of the DL which they must have checked. Nothing showed up I was assured, but he asked me to leave it with them and they would take it on the road again.

I received a further call at 5pm this afternoon, surprise, surprise, one of the mechanics had it on the road and it broke down 3 times.

But the DL showed no faults. They had contacted Ford with the problem. They were told to check the fuel pressure, which was done with no problems reported there. The only other possibility I was informed that Ford had informed them of was that that the idle air valve was the only other possibility. They reckon that could fail and the DL wouldn't necessarily pick that up. Am I getting the Michael taking out of me here? I ask you. I have been warned that this might not cure it but it is my best hope.

So on Monday the I A V will be replaced.If that doesn't do the trick I will have to take it to Ford proper.

have not come across an idle valve that doesnt log something on data, but that doesnt mean it cant happen.

can see the logic in changing the IAC, but its a gamble as there's no proof its failing, there are rare times that an educated guess is all you can go with, but im just wondering if people are relying too heavily on computer diagnostics and forgetting that problems can fall outside of computer controls.

my initial thoughts

fuel pressure was checked and passed...but it was checked and passed when its not cutting out.

i wonder if the pump is playing up...if it was me, my next step would be to rig up a pressure guage so that it can be monitored from drivers seat and drive till it dies again..

just my opinion, not knocking the process garage is following.

Tony, thanks for replying this late. I guess I will have to trust that the idle air valve when replaced cures it. I'm not one for tucking in under the bonnet, I leave that to those with trained skills, not that I'm knocking those that have a go who like to try a bit of DIY. Just wish I had the confidence. I used to muck about with my Morris minors and my Austin Cambridge in my younger days. Lol!