Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 17,039 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 03 September 2013 - 10:25 AM

No worries, I look forward to hearing of a fix :)

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 marklord83

marklord83

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Name: Mark
  • Ford Model: focus

Posted 03 September 2013 - 10:26 AM

Its prob a vac leak as jee said, One thing that gets me thinking is you said the steering wheel locked when it conked out now the only way that can happen is if the key isnt fully turned and you say it starts easy afterwards, is it possible that the key is disengaging and that's why it conks out because the steering shouldnt lock unless the key turns back a click.

#18 tony186

tony186

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Name: tony
  • Ford Model: Fiesta 1.3 finesse
  • Year: 2002

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:18 PM

Well I collected it late this afternoon and was told that there were no signs of a vacuum leak and the crank sensor was fine. I am now suspicious that it wasn't taken for a good run. Well it was still parked in the same bay where I left it early yesterday morning. Just forgot to make a record of the mileage it was on when I left it. Drat!
They have fitted a data logger which I was told will record any faults when being driven.
'You never know,' I was informed, 'you might drive it out of here, and it will act up, which it never for us.'
He was right too, five minutes later I noticed it was racing ( over revving) is the best way to describe it and it was still racing even when I took my foot off the accelerator it was still ploughing on until I began to brake as we reached a traffic island. Having negotiated the island it almost cut out and the dash lights also lit up. I managed to stop it cutting out completely by giving it some gas, bringing the clutch up, as if I was jump starting it when a battery is flat.
After that it ran fine and went down from 900 rpm at idle to a steady 750 rpm at idle. I have covered about 20 plus miles in it since without a problem.
I have been told to run it for the next week or so and any problems will be logged. I notice that the logger which is positioned just above the clutch pedal is always illuminated. I just hope it's a low power device as I won't be using it for at least 4 days from Thursday on. Don't want it to flatten my battery. I had to leave with them at the garage my CC details just in case I don't take the car and their data logger back. One thing I did notice this evening, the blowers are not putting out air to the front windscreen it's coming out of the front vents but not clearing the screen. Something else for them to look at.
Thanks all for your interest, I shall definitely be back to keep you informed.

#19 tony186

tony186

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:24 PM

Its prob a vac leak as jee said, One thing that gets me thinking is you said the steering wheel locked when it conked out now the only way that can happen is if the key isnt fully turned and you say it starts easy afterwards, is it possible that the key is disengaging and that's why it conks out because the steering shouldnt lock unless the key turns back a click.

mark, I'm certain the key was fully engaged. In fact the incident at the traffic island this evening, almost sent the steering wheel into lock. But my quick actions, there were cars following me, just about saved me from a possible accident. It was only a small traffic island. I shall just have to keep my fingers crossed that the recorder does its job.

#20 wase16ll

wase16ll

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Name: Tony
  • Ford Model: granada
  • Year: 1992

Posted 03 September 2013 - 10:13 PM

data loggers are a very useful piece of kit.

with the added info of the idle problems, it does look to be indicating unregulated air from somewhere, but hopefully the logger will pick something up

to be fair to the garage though, problems like this can be an absolute mare to source, think they have taken the next logical step towards finding it.

got a similar problem with a scenic thats been going on for over a year, it will randomly refuse to start...always after a short journey, parked up for a few minutes then wont restart unless left for 15 mins and away it goes without further problem...trouble is, it might only do this once every couple of months...tried all the usual suspects to no avail, ended up fitting a data logger 2 months ago, still waiting for it to do it again...can be really frustrating diagnosing some faults.:)

#21 tony186

tony186

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 10:36 PM

data loggers are a very useful piece of kit.

with the added info of the idle problems, it does look to be indicating unregulated air from somewhere, but hopefully the logger will pick something up

to be fair to the garage though, problems like this can be an absolute mare to source, think they have taken the next logical step towards finding it.

got a similar problem with a scenic thats been going on for over a year, it will randomly refuse to start...always after a short journey, parked up for a few minutes then wont restart unless left for 15 mins and away it goes without further problem...trouble is, it might only do this once every couple of months...tried all the usual suspects to no avail, ended up fitting a data logger 2 months ago, still waiting for it to do it again...can be really frustrating diagnosing some faults. :)

I guess you are right Tony about mechanics having to deal with my sort of problem. Forgot to mention in my earlier post about the rpm's behaving erratically, sometimes.

For the past 12 years i have owned a BMW E34 5 series SE. it's now 19 years old. Touch wood, apart from the occasional flat battery because I keep it in my garage for too many weeks before taking it on the road, it has never really ever acted up on me. I bought it because one of our daughters lives 200 miles away from us and I wanted something to replace the Sierra i had owned since the early nineties which i had also used for the long journeys. I still kept the Sierra for a couple of years as a runabout, but the lack of PAS forced me to sell it. I've had two other cars since as runabouts but this Fiesta is ideal for what I want it for.

I just hope that the data logger does its job. Perhaps the problem i had this evening wil already be enough to give the mechanics an idea of what is happening.

If the people i have it with can't sort it, then i will definitely take it to Ford. Can't afford not to ;) .

Incidentally your scenic isn't an automatic is it? Automatics can be a problem to start if they aren't driven very far and are started again. I have experienced that a couple times with my BMW. But it's a long time since it last happened. And i managed to start it by just keeping my foot down on the accelerator.

#22 wase16ll

wase16ll

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:09 PM

get yourself a solar charger, perfect for cars parked up...being in a garage you will need to play about with the cables so the charger is in daylight..just make sure battery is charged up first as the solars maintain the charge thats in the battery, they arent battery chargers....

look around and you'll find them ranging from £20-£100..with different amp outputs

the scenic is losing a signal somewhere, probably from crank sensor circuit, but ive tried everything and still not cured it...renault electrics are the worse out there...absolute mare...all i need is the data logger to confirm which circuit is failing, otherwise im looking at a complete loom stripdown

#23 tony186

tony186

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:10 PM

Just been reading up on data loggers. They appear to be powered by their own battery. Must hold some charge given I will have it installed for more than a week. Glad it doesn't feed of my car battery.

#24 wase16ll

wase16ll

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:13 PM

there are loggers that power off the car, but draw about the same current as a clock so should be no problem

#25 tony186

tony186

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:15 PM

get yourself a solar charger, perfect for cars parked up...being in a garage you will need to play about with the cables so the charger is in daylight..just make sure battery is charged up first as the solars maintain the charge thats in the battery, they arent battery chargers....

look around and you'll find them ranging from £20-£100..with different amp outputs

the scenic is losing a signal somewhere, probably from crank sensor circuit, but ive tried everything and still not cured it...renault electrics are the worse out there...absolute mare...all i need is the data logger to confirm which circuit is failing, otherwise im looking at a complete loom stripdown

Solar charger? Not seen any of them. I recently purchased an automatic charger, and intend to buy mysef a trickle charger just to keep my Beemer's battery topped up during the winter months. I will have a look for one of those solar charges. Don't seem to remember us having much sunlight last winter mind.

#26 tony186

tony186

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:20 PM

there are loggers that power off the car, but draw about the same current as a clock so should be no problem

Cheers! incidentally i wrote to the one and only owner of the Fiesta before me. Didn't expect a reply, but she did reply about 6 weeks later. She told me that the battery is the original battery. She had kept it well maintained. Probably had it on a trickle too. Well it's still going strong 11 years later. My tester shows it's still holding a good charge.For now. ;)

#27 tony186

tony186

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:09 AM

Well i took it out this morning and within about 2 miles of starting it conked out. 5 miles later it conked out again and then after a further 2 miles it died yet again. The steering never went into lock this time as each time it happened at a junction when the car was pointing straight and not in a turn. If the Data Logger does its job it should pick up the problem from that, I hope!

I have noticed that air is not circulating around the car in accordance with the various indicators on the air distribution control, except for the centre and side vents. it certainly isn't blowing up through the front screen. Reading up on this problem, I note that it could be a heater fan resistor problem. The resistor is located in the very area where the Data Logger has been fitted. Could it be anything to do with that by any chance?

Also, no matter where i look on the web, there isn't a great deal of conversation nor information about Data Loggers in respect of autos. Strange that, as they seem to be an essential tool in the armour of any keen car enthusiast interested in mechanics. Can't even find any mention of its connection point in my Haynes. Not to worry, I shall plod on regardless.

#28 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 17,039 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
Contributor

Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:37 AM

Not sure that it would be the data logger, but it could have been disabled to prevent damage to the box.

I would take the car back as unsafe to drive, and ask them to look at the data logger now. They shouldnt have a problem with doing this...

#29 tony186

tony186

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 02:29 PM

Not sure that it would be the data logger, but it could have been disabled to prevent damage to the box.

I would take the car back as unsafe to drive, and ask them to look at the data logger now. They shouldnt have a problem with doing this...

Thanks James, the car has gone back. They haven't got time today, unless they do get a moment, to look at the data. Call me a pessimist but I have a feeling even the data logger won't pick up the fault. I was told that the blower/ demister will be nothing to do with plugging the DL into the ECU but they will have look at that problem also. Cheers and please watch this space.

#30 marklord83

marklord83

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Name: Mark
  • Ford Model: focus

Posted 04 September 2013 - 02:36 PM

Hmmm strange one, to me now sounds more like something to do with the accelerater side of the car as the throttle bouncing around and reving on ots own like its stuck or slack almost

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users