Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 15,628 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 04 September 2013 - 03:32 PM

Could be as simple as a Throttle Position Sensor, or accelerator switch error, but hopefully the readings on the ECU (various resistance readings on the wires) would indicate if there is too much or too little resistance, showing a faulty switch...

Hopefully they come back with something, but its better in the garage, if a car does anything like cutting out with no reason, or driving itself without any interaction, it really needs to be kept off the road (better safe than sorry!)

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#32 marklord83

marklord83

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Name: Mark
  • Ford Model: focus

Posted 04 September 2013 - 04:01 PM

I remember hearing about a guy once who ended up crashing at a roundabout once because his throttle jammed open in a toyota was all over the news and he was on the phone to the police as it was all happening, so like jee says better safe than on back of a lorry.

#33 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 15,628 posts
Contributor

Posted 04 September 2013 - 04:15 PM

I remember that recall, wasnt it at the same time that they recalled them for the gas pedal issue, they also had to recall it as the brakes were failing?

I wonder if they had to pay for the repairs or if customers had to claim on their insurance...?

#34 wase16ll

wase16ll

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Name: Tony
  • Ford Model: granada
  • Year: 1992

Posted 04 September 2013 - 04:42 PM

data loggers basicly record as you drive, it can then be downloaded and checked over, you just need to jump to the points that show irregularities..in this case, the idle.
you then check all other sensor outputs at that time, hopefully it will either indicate a managment problem, sduch as cam sensor out of sync... or will show that managment is working fine and problem lies elsewhere, such as fuel pressure problem causing managment to compensate..
brilliant bits of kit, but takes an expert to fully comprehend whats going on if problem isnt obvious.

im still learning with these puppies, normally send data off to an expert for their opinion when the problem is less obvious.

re the toyota recalls...from experience, toyota is far and away, streets ahead of other mannufacturers when it comes to taking the hit..that recent recall with the throttle cost them billions, but unlike some other manufacturers, rarely did you have to fight for it.
had a 7yr old avensis with melted headlight reflectors recently, would have cost approx £800 to fix, till i found out that it fell just inside an extended warranty that they issued for this problem..arranged for repair at zero cost without any problem...very impressed, especially compared to numerous fights with renault ive had to deal with over dash problems, even then its done at reduced cost not gratis

#35 tony186

tony186

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Name: tony
  • Ford Model: Fiesta 1.3 finesse
  • Year: 2002

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:02 PM

Hmmm strange one, to me now sounds more like something to do with the accelerater side of the car as the throttle bouncing around and reving on ots own like its stuck or slack almost

Mark, when it's cold there does seem to be a lot more choke than necessary, especially at this time of the year. It can race along without giving it lots of pedal. Equally it can go from that to just cutting out once I have applied the brakes.

Anyway nobody has called me from the garage so it will be a question of waiting until tomorrow to see if the miracle worker the data logger has captured the problem. But like i say, i don't hold out much hope.

Incidentally, after it conked out on me for the third time today I drove it home about 3 miles and it drove as if nothing was wrong. Smooth too with the RPM's a steady 750. Earlier it was running at 900 RPM that's when it  wasn't conking out altogether. Oh dear...why me? :angry:  :D

#36 wase16ll

wase16ll

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:10 PM

im going to lay money on coolant temp sensor, fits in with everything you've said and rarely logs a fault code when they arent doing what they're supposed to....
but then again...there is good reason why i dont bet :D

#37 tony186

tony186

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:11 PM

data loggers basicly record as you drive, it can then be downloaded and checked over, you just need to jump to the points that show irregularities..in this case, the idle.
you then check all other sensor outputs at that time, hopefully it will either indicate a managment problem, sduch as cam sensor out of sync... or will show that managment is working fine and problem lies elsewhere, such as fuel pressure problem causing managment to compensate..
brilliant bits of kit, but takes an expert to fully comprehend whats going on if problem isnt obvious.

im still learning with these puppies, normally send data off to an expert for their opinion when the problem is less obvious.

re the toyota recalls...from experience, toyota is far and away, streets ahead of other mannufacturers when it comes to taking the hit..that recent recall with the throttle cost them billions, but unlike some other manufacturers, rarely did you have to fight for it.
had a 7yr old avensis with melted headlight reflectors recently, would have cost approx £800 to fix, till i found out that it fell just inside an extended warranty that they issued for this problem..arranged for repair at zero cost without any problem...very impressed, especially compared to numerous fights with renault ive had to deal with over dash problems, even then its done at reduced cost not gratis

Tony, that's the bit which you mention about the DL requiring an expert to read the information it produces. In the end i might have to take it to a Ford dealership. Maybe the guys dealing with it will ask Ford for the answer if they can't. The guy dealing with me said they would. That was before fitting the DL and even mentioning it.

Like reading the stuff about other cars and their problems that you have mentioned. It's all useful knowledge. Cheers mate.

#38 tony186

tony186

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:15 PM

im going to lay money on coolant temp sensor, fits in with everything you've said and rarely logs a fault code when they arent doing what they're supposed to....
but then again...there is good reason why i dont bet :D

That's something I hadn't considered.  The gauge always reads normal.

#39 tony186

tony186

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:23 PM

Could be as simple as a Throttle Position Sensor, or accelerator switch error, but hopefully the readings on the ECU (various resistance readings on the wires) would indicate if there is too much or too little resistance, showing a faulty switch...

Hopefully they come back with something, but its better in the garage, if a car does anything like cutting out with no reason, or driving itself without any interaction, it really needs to be kept off the road (better safe than sorry!)

Totally agree. Thanks again.

#40 wase16ll

wase16ll

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:32 PM

temp guage is seperate from the temp sensor im referring to..the cts is purely for engine managment so wont affect guage readings

#41 marklord83

marklord83

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:00 PM

Yeah was a toyota that went mad lol wouldn't like to be toyota im sure they recalled something like 2 million cars,

Is the car we are talking aboit at the moment a electronic accelerator?

#42 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 15,628 posts
Contributor

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:21 AM

Pretty much all modern cars are fly by wire now

#43 marklord83

marklord83

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:08 PM

Hmmmm Ive got a feeling accelerator is malfunctioning

#44 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 15,628 posts
Contributor

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:04 AM

One of the lads in the Mondeo section had this issue recently, IIRC he replaced his accelerator pedal, which cleared the problems.

#45 marklord83

marklord83

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:15 AM

I hate fly by wires I prefer good old mechanical magic

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users