Alec J

Feet Under The Table

• FOC Supporters
  • 101 posts
  • Name: Alec
  • Ford Model: Focus ST3
  • Year: 2007

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:51 PM

Finally got round to fitting a new belt. The smaller belt running the aircon compressor didnt seem to be the issue, it was the larger belt.

Changed the larger belt which cleared my issue when we started and tested it. I drove home and to my grief the noise is back!

Could this possibly be the tensioner at the top that you have to slacken to get the belt off? If so how can i test it as looking around they are about £50+ and dont fancy changing it if its not that.

Any other ideas as to what it could be?

Alec

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 vibeone

vibeone

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Name: Mark
  • Ford Model: Focus MK2.5 2.0 TDCI
  • Year: 2009

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:58 PM

Finally got round to fitting a new belt. The smaller belt running the aircon compressor didnt seem to be the issue, it was the larger belt.

Changed the larger belt which cleared my issue when we started and tested it. I drove home and to my grief the noise is back!

Could this possibly be the tensioner at the top that you have to slacken to get the belt off? If so how can i test it as looking around they are about £50+ and dont fancy changing it if its not that.

Any other ideas as to what it could be?

Alec

As previously stated - It could be anything on the belt.  Start with the cheapest, and move on until you nail it.

If you're passing, you're welcome to my old tensioner - it is old, and not in the best nick, but when it was removed, it turned out it wasn't the issue (was the crank pulley on the engine).

#18 Alec J

Alec J

Feet Under The Table

• FOC Supporters
  • 101 posts
  • Name: Alec
  • Ford Model: Focus ST3
  • Year: 2007

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:09 PM

As previously stated - It could be anything on the belt.  Start with the cheapest, and move on until you nail it.

If you're passing, you're welcome to my old tensioner - it is old, and not in the best nick, but when it was removed, it turned out it wasn't the issue (was the crank pulley on the engine).

Haha ill be ok,

Whats the best way to check each thing.. just take the belt off and rotate them? Would they make noise?

#19 vibeone

vibeone

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Name: Mark
  • Ford Model: Focus MK2.5 2.0 TDCI
  • Year: 2009

Posted 03 September 2013 - 10:16 PM

Sadly not - you can never match the load put on the pulleys. It's a case of replacing a bit at a time.

A ford dealer did a few bits (even putting bits on, removing if it wasn't the fault, and not charging me), but they didn't bother with the crank pulley for some reason

Took it elsewhere and as I said - the thing fell to bits as it was removed.

Bite the bullet and go for it. I'd start with the crank pulley because it's fairly cheap, but that's just me

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users