Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Start Up Rattle

glenwood

I have a ford focus petrol 06 plated with 40000mls on clock. suddenly and intermittently it now starts a short rattle on start up like machine gun burst, it doesn't do it every time, and varies when either hot or cold, I`ve had oil change fully synthetic after it started so I know it isn`t oil problem as it was doing it before but it is apparently valve train top end and a local mechanic has suggested VVT set up which sounds expensive when he talks about pricing up the job!!!! Anyone know any known probs or is it just a Shell out money time.

Does it do it while driving? Or is it just start up mine does something similar sometimes but not all the time but doesn't affect driving at all and it doesn't worry me

Its only on start up, drives perfect, the latest is it is apparently one of 4 parts together costing just under £300 thats the VVT solenoids x 2 or the 2 bits they control, theres no way of testing according to ford so its replace all four at the same time, I`m told its a common fault, with 40000mls and 6yrs old they`re also suggesting a cam belt as well, a nice little bill to pay!!!!

40000 miles thats early for a cambelt isnt it? Im a firm believer in if its not broke dont fix it unless its cambelts lol

the garage say yes early but half the engine will be exposed when they change vvt bits so why not if I intend to keep the car they are usually ok for cam belts for 10yrs? and higher mileage, its a call on the day.

True id wait and see if it gets any worse myself it might stay the same for the next 10 yrs lol u just dont know, try taking it to another garage and see what someone else says

Ok second garage consulted and they say valve train oil buckets all 16 need replacing the engine is not holding oil at the top. The car has hydraulic tappets.... The first garage said no it hasn`t, I`m getting confused but had engine flush and new oil change semi synthetic this time and will see what happens

Can anyone tell me how I can tell if I have shimmed or hydraulic and buckets! whatever they are

Best thing to do is google it for your car specs and it usually tells you

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club