Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Lenny Purchase A New Whip? Or Get Serious!!

Lenny

Hi all,

Well back in 2010 I was caught in a divide between purchasing a ford focus or a Toyota Corolla Levin BZR,

I joined foc and AE111 forum,

As you can see I bought the focus,

I now have space in the drive way for another car,

My focus is in the final stages of completion and my hands are becoming idle,

I still love the Toyota Levin,

And its quite an unusual setup inside which makes it fun to work on,

They finished making them in 2000 so I'd be purchasing from 1997-2000

They are a Japanese import never actually sold in Europe from dealers

The engine is a 20 valve twin can 1.6 petrol with velocity stacks as standard.

There are two models of engine BZG and BZR both engines are 1.6N/A petrol

The BZR is a 6 speed fwd with 187bhp as standard.

Their are two models Trueno and Levin

Both are identical except for the front bumper and both released at the same time, in Japanese Trueno means thunder and Levin means lightening

They were released in 5 colours

Electric blue

Charcoal grey

White

Black

Dark green,

Both models are 2 door coupé but due to their full name "Toyota corolla Levin" some insurance company's view it as a corolla which leaves the insurance cheap.

I've not saved the money up yet,

But id like a blue one I've saw this one

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-levin/5589541

The focus would then be driven daily by Vicki and the Levin would be my car for work,

But what do you guys reckon,

Should I purchase a Levin

Or

Should I get serious and purchase something more erm domestic.

If I purchased the blue Levin I'd lower it and fit a set of white 17" volk rays TE37's aswell as a 3" cat back exhaust.

images_zps10a8c4fa.jpg

But what do you guys think?

I'm 28

Father of two

Should I purchase something more common and subtle?

Am I too old?

• Like 1

I think you need to be asking Vicki not us, dont want to get in trouble for offering you the wrong advice ;)

I think as long as you dont turn your back on the Focus, why shouldnt you have a toy! you may be a father of two, but if you have the money to do it, and Vicki supports you, then why not have a project car? and when it gets worth a few bob, if you ever needed a few quid, you have a pot sat on the driveway by selling one thing or the other!

It sounds like a good car mate, and it sounds like you would enjoy it!

I just look at the mileage though, and think you could be buying into a rather expensive problem, its not overly old, but its not a spring chicken either, so you would have to consider, what if the engine goes bang, are there enough parts that you could replace it?

Edit: what would you consider outside of this car though? if you were to get something more appropriate for the family as a second motor?

• Like 2

I think you need to be asking Vicki not us, dont want to get in trouble for offering you the wrong advice ;)

I just look at the mileage though, and think you could be buying into a rather expensive problem, its not overly old, but its not a spring chicken either, so you would have to consider, what if the engine goes bang, are there enough parts that you could replace it?

Edit: what would you consider outside of this car though? if you were to get something more appropriate for the family as a second motor?

I have a mate that would do the timing belt and water pump for under 500 euro

So the only thing would be the gear box and clutch,

Parts would be from japan only mate,

Unless the European corolla shares the same part,

And what other car ?

Well something old school easy to work with and perhaps tune.

I'd consider a 4 door Volkswagen bora 1991 turbo diesel

Slam it on coilovers with some deep dish alloys :)

Sand down the bonnet and pour some beer on it to get a rusty rat look

But if I was to get serious,

Then it would be a 2000 vw polo or Citroen C2

FFS 28 and too old, Lenny if you have a itch you have to scratch it, otherwise it will be they forever and believe me eventually you will give in and scratch that itch, personally i find it Fug Ugly but its not mine and with a few mods should look sweet. :P

This was my itch last year 1.4 8v polo 6n2 and damaged, ended up the only 6 speed lupo Gti powered 6n2 we could find home or abroad, only sold it as the tuning options were limited when I wanted to either turbo it or super charge it.

001.jpg

002-1.jpg

006-2.jpg

011-3.jpg

020.jpg

022.jpg

013-3.jpg

012-5.jpg

024-3.jpg

So my advice is DO IT

• Like 1

FFS 28 and too old, Lenny if you have a scratch you have to itch it, otherwise it will be they forever and believe me eventually you will give in and scratch that itch, personally i find it Fug Ugly but its not mine and with a few mods should look sweet. :P

This was my itch last year 1.4 8v polo 6n2 and damaged, ended up the only 6 speed lupo Gti powered 6n2 we could find home or abroad, only sold it as the tuning options were limited when I wanted to either turbo it or super charge it.

So my advice is DO IT

That's one sweet polo mate,

I like how you facelift it and looks proper sleeper, best of kit on the inside of it

Regarding the levin it does sit quite high but bomex make a body kit for it with flared skirts and lips to make it look like a drift car,

But for the cost o wouldn't import the kit,

I'd sooner buy one with it fitted,

My budget would be 2-3000 euro then park in in the drive way until I get tax insurance etc.

Lowering, exhaust and alloys is all I'd really do to it on appearance.

What put me thinking was

It will cost me 2500 to bring the focus to stage 2

Turbo, intercooler upgrade and remap to get it around 140 bhp and perhaps unreliable

As it is now its reliable

And we need a reliable car in the family,

So I then thought of buying a project with that money instead,

Give Vicki the focus and mess around with a low cost car, if it packs up

Call Vicki to collect me

No biggie

• Like 1

That's one sweet polo mate,

I like how you facelift it and looks proper sleeper, best of kit on the inside of it

Regarding the levin it does sit quite high but bomex make a body kit for it with flared skirts and lips to make it look like a drift car,

But for the cost o wouldn't import the kit,

I'd sooner buy one with it fitted,

My budget would be 2-3000 euro then park in in the drive way until I get tax insurance etc.

Lowering, exhaust and alloys is all I'd really do to it on appearance.

What put me thinking was

It will cost me 2500 to bring the focus to stage 2

Turbo, intercooler upgrade and remap to get it around 140 bhp and perhaps unreliable

As it is now its reliable

And we need a reliable car in the family,

So I then thought of buying a project with that money instead,

Give Vicki the focus and mess around with a low cost car, if it packs up

Call Vicki to collect me

No biggie

Sounds like a plan to me ;)

and on the plus side Vicki would be cursing you and sticking the V's up whilst tearing off down the road away from you so bonus :P

The polo is a 6n2 so its the right front in but with GTi grills, the interior is out of a 6n polo with the rear seats stripped and rebuilt onto the 6n2 backs, that thing suprised a lot of cars including my mates Golf R32 and another mates Bmw 330D Lol, it was a little fly buzzing around you and you couldn't get away.

• Like 1

Eh yeah lenny go do it but levin is uglier than your sister ....my dream wud be old golf 1990..square box one dunno proper name.. nearly vintage insurance too...but honey I also have a itch a really big one ......I want a son...so while you go research ur bit I'll be out doing my own into men that can produce boy sperm and I tink mine mite be tad more fun babes ppmsl

• Like 3

Eh yeah lenny go do it but levin is uglier than your sister ....my dream wud be old golf 1990..square box one dunno proper name.. nearly vintage insurance too...but honey I also have a itch a really big one ......I want a son...so while you go research ur bit I'll be out doing my own into men that can produce boy sperm and I tink mine mite be tad more fun babes ppmsl

I did look at mk1 golf gti but there fetching 8000 euro princess,y

I'm surprised you agree with my decision on another motor, but I won't be consenting to scratching your itch lol

I've given you two pretty girls and the house is now full,

So ensure you find a fella with a spare bedroom for the love child ;)

• Like 1

Like this Vicki, sold it a few month back

085_zps1fa2449b.jpg

086_zpsb034296c.jpg

IMG_0850_zps99109574.jpg

• Like 1

Like this Vicki, sold it a few month back

Thank you george ....il name my son after ye lol yep that's the one ...mint car

See leo see....

• Like 2

Its called a Mk1 golf Vicki, so now you know what it is go and find one :)

• Like 1

Its called a Mk1 golf Vicki, so now you know what it is go and find one :)

+1 Vicki go forth and multiply

• Like 1

Hi all,

Well back in 2010 I was caught in a divide between purchasing a ford focus or a Toyota Corolla Levin BZR,

I joined foc and AE111 forum,

As you can see I bought the focus,

I now have space in the drive way for another car,

My focus is in the final stages of completion and my hands are becoming idle,

I still love the Toyota Levin,

And its quite an unusual setup inside which makes it fun to work on,

They finished making them in 2000 so I'd be purchasing from 1997-2000

They are a Japanese import never actually sold in Europe from dealers

The engine is a 20 valve twin can 1.6 petrol with velocity stacks as standard.

There are two models of engine BZG and BZR both engines are 1.6N/A petrol

The BZR is a 6 speed fwd with 187bhp as standard.

Their are two models Trueno and Levin

Both are identical except for the front bumper and both released at the same time, in Japanese Trueno means thunder and Levin means lightening

They were released in 5 colours

Electric blue

Charcoal grey

White

Black

Dark green,

Both models are 2 door coupé but due to their full name "Toyota corolla Levin" some insurance company's view it as a corolla which leaves the insurance cheap.

I've not saved the money up yet,

But id like a blue one I've saw this one http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-levin/5589541

The focus would then be driven daily by Vicki and the Levin would be my car for work,

But what do you guys reckon,

Should I purchase a Levin

Or

Should I get serious and purchase something more erm domestically pleasant.

If I purchased the blue Levin I'd lower it and fit a set of white 17" volk rays TE37's aswell as a 3" cat back exhaust. images_zps10a8c4fa.jpg

But what do you guys think?

I'm 28

Father of two

Should I purchase something more common and subtle?

Am I too old?

• Like 2

Lenny

Once had an old MGBGT as a weekend/hobby car and loved it, but be prepared for them being a money pit although as yours is Japanese it might be a bit more reliable than an old British car. You're never too old by the way and a man needs an interest doesn't he?

• Like 1

Yep - never too old -

Whatever car you buy will cost you money to buy, maintain and run (even a Micra or Co**a) - better to get the car you really want - its worth spending momey on that - you only live once

And when (oops i mean if) it breaks down you can always borrow the Focus back :lol:

• Like 1

Lenny, if you're willing to travel you can pick up a MK1 golf for 4 grand mint condition. Now that is a serious project with mad potential, parts are easy to get and lots of aftermarket stuff out there for the mk1 golf and the polo, either one of those look crazy disgusting sick when slammed.

I see two different side in your post, seems your after power yet something easy to tune work on. I can't speak for the toyota and although it would be damn cool i think you'd get bored of it and sell it.

Couple times in the last few months i almost bought myself a MK1 golf... they are just beautiful machines inside and out easy to work on so easy, even the really old ones don't even rust. I say go for it mate.

The polo is a nice ride and with you coming from a focus the polo will feel like a box room lol, don't go for that, golf, toyota or bora either way it's a win.

With my previous experience from the VAG family a dub has endless potential.

Lucky your vicky allows you another car! i've been under strict rules not allowed an MK1

• Like 2

I sold my mk1 for £400, was a good solid one too and ran. also sold the 1.8 turbo 20v engine ,box, full harness and a Mapped ecu that would of made 245 bhp for £300. so for £700 would of had a 245bhp rocket project, now that would take some catching, the blue 3 door one in the pics is my mates,needs interior has had structural welding done its a 1.3 needs a radiator too but I could get it for £700 ;)

• Like 1

Mk1 is deffo winning thank you kurt and george ...I've had enough ugly cars had to take his starlet to work and used to park it around the corner or get into work early so nobody seen me drive it

• Like 2

Mk1 is deffo winning thank you kurt and george ...I've had enough ugly cars had to take his starlet to work and used to park it around the corner or get into work early so nobody seen me drive it

PMSL

Ohhh lennyyy, it's calling you

3855317959_a14ea6f6b2.jpg

• Like 2

Ohhh lennyyy, it's calling you

3855317959_a14ea6f6b2.jpg

So is this one mate lol

img_0016_zps9fad9e08.jpg

Lenny, if you're willing to travel you can pick up a MK1 golf for 4 grand mint condition. Now that is a serious project with mad potential, parts are easy to get and lots of aftermarket stuff out there for the mk1 golf and the polo, either one of those look crazy disgusting sick when slammed.

I see two different side in your post, seems your after power yet something easy to tune work on. I can't speak for the toyota and although it would be damn cool i think you'd get bored of it and sell it.

Couple times in the last few months i almost bought myself a MK1 golf... they are just beautiful machines inside and out easy to work on so easy, even the really old ones don't even rust. I say go for it mate.

The polo is a nice ride and with you coming from a focus the polo will feel like a box room lol, don't go for that, golf, toyota or bora either way it's a win.

With my previous experience from the VAG family a dub has endless potential.

Lucky your vicky allows you another car! i've been under strict rules not allowed an MK1

4 grand sterling mate,

That's close to 5000euro then import tax and registration in ireland,

Blows my budget and the range of mods would be too much temptation,

I'd prefer the 1.6bzr

Forgive me but its around 14" lower roof height than the golf,

And the handling would be improved due to the lower centre gravity,

Hugging the bends and hearing the bore of the twin-cam engine on exiting the bends is what its all about for me mate,

Coast in to the corner and flat out on exit,

I'm starting to save now and all going well I'll have a bzr black top engine in December

• Like 1