Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Total Noob At Car Detailing Wanting Info Please!

exponential

Hi guys.

I want to give my pride 'n' joy a thorough clean including claying and waxing but I have ZERO experience in doing this!

I have obviously cleaned my previous cars but with hot soapy water and ONE bucket but the thing is, I didn't care for all my previous cars.

I worked long and hard to get the car I have now so therefore want to look after it the best I can which involves me giving a really good going over inside and out.

I have read "DanGull's" detailing guide which taught me a fair bit on the theory side and is absolutely fantastic but it threw a bit of a spanner in the works due to the amount of different items for different types of detailing....

There are just too many different products out there and with having not experience, I don't know which one's to buy that will allow me to clean/wax/protect my car from top to bottom!

What I am asking is this.....

Can somebody please compile a list for me of items I need to buy that are essential??

I have a karcher pressure washer but I know I need snow foam bottle..

Also, I have decided (to make things a bit simpler), to use just one brand and I have chosen Meguires products, so with that in mind can anyone help me with the definitive list of Meguires items I will need to complete the entire job from pre-wash right through to the end?

I'm sorry if this is a lot to ask but I have to ask.....

EDIT: Or just tell me the products you use that gives you the best results! :)

Thanks in advance,

Mike.

-Two buckets with grit guards

-Pressure washer with autobrite snow foam lance and snow foam

-auto finesse lather shampoo

-Marguairs lambs wool wash mitt

-wheel woolies(alloy wheel brushes)

When detailing I use

-autofinesse all purpose cleaner

-iron x

-meguiars clay kit

-meguiars ultimate compound/auto finesse rejuvenate

-Autoglym super resin polish

-(I have a dual action polishing machine for removing swirls but I'm not sure if this is the route you want to go down?)

-Poorboys black hole glaze

-autofinesse desire/meguiars liquid wax/autofinesse tough coat(sealant)

-meguiars glass cleaner

-autofinesse trim revive

-finishkare 1000p / autofinesse mint rims for sealing the alloys.

-autofinesse metal polish for the exhausts.

Uh I think that just about covers the main products I use.

Sorry if it looks a mess I've used my phone :)

• Like 1

-Two buckets with grit guards

-Pressure washer with autobrite snow foam lance and snow foam

-auto finesse lather shampoo

-Marguairs lambs wool wash mitt

-wheel woolies(alloy wheel brushes)

When detailing I use

-autofinesse all purpose cleaner

-iron x

-meguiars clay kit

-meguiars ultimate compound/auto finesse rejuvenate

-Autoglym super resin polish

-(I have a dual action polishing machine for removing swirls but I'm not sure if this is the route you want to go down?)

-Poorboys black hole glaze

-autofinesse desire/meguiars liquid wax/autofinesse tough coat(sealant)

-meguiars glass cleaner

-autofinesse trim revive

-finishkare 1000p / autofinesse mint rims for sealing the alloys.

-autofinesse metal polish for the exhausts.

Uh I think that just about covers the main products I use.

Sorry if it looks a mess I've used my phone :)

Thanks Marc!

That's exactly what I was looking for.

Its such a daunting task though having never "properly" cleaned a car before but I'm determined to get It right and keep on top of it!

Just waiting for a break in the weather to get started (and waiting to get paid so I can afford to buy all these products) LOL.

I did want to use a polishing machine but I'm not sure which to go for and what the prices are like?

How long would you say it would take me to complete the job from start to finish?

Questions question...... :)

Thanks Marc!

That's exactly what I was looking for.

Its such a daunting task though having never "properly" cleaned a car before but I'm determined to get It right and keep on top of it!

Just waiting for a break in the weather to get started (and waiting to get paid so I can afford to buy all these products) LOL.

I did want to use a polishing machine but I'm not sure which to go for and what the prices are like?

How long would you say it would take me to complete the job from start to finish?

Questions question

the guys at Autobrite was more than happy for it to be linked on the forum if anyone is interested they will honour the deal

http://www.detailing...ad.php?t=283805 i got one from them and its brilliant i prewash with snow foam before i do anything else also look at detailing world site for info

• Like 1

Thanks Minty.

That looks like a great set of deals!

Will look into buying some when I get paid.

Thanks for the link........ :)

Marc.....

Could you go through your particular method of cleaning your car please?

How do you start and just your general process....

I only ask because I've looked at your car pics and your motor looks immaculate so I fancy a piece of that pie!! :)

I've looked at so many video's on youtube . . . .machine polish vs hand polish, clay or not to clay.....

Everybody has an opinion and method.

I know for certain that snow foam and lance is 100% something I am going to invest in if nothing else!!

Oh and two buckets with dirt guards! LOL

A full detail will take me around 8-10 hours and that's literally non stop :P

To start you'd want a DA polishing machine, they're easier to use and a lot less chance of doing any damage to the paint. Two popular models are the Meguiars G220v2 (which I have) and the Das6 /Das6Pro. Both very good machines.

A normal wash will involve two buckets,

Pressure wash the car to remove as much dirt as possible

snow foam the car and let run for around 10 minutes, whilst cleaning panel gaps and grill with a detailing brush

Pressure wash all the remaining foam off

Start washing the car with a washmitt, starting at the top and working your way down.

I usually do the roof and windows, pressure wash the suds off

then the back

then the front

followed by each side

Also keep spraying the car to keep it wet in between every stage to stop it drying - thus avoiding water spots

You should wash off the mitt on a regular basis, inspecting the mitt for any contaminants stuck in the wool, picking them out and washing it to remove them (sometimes even spray it with the pressure washer :P )

Then for the alloys, Wheel woolies to get behind the alloy, then an old wash mitt to clean the face of the alloy.

Following the two bucket method again.

For drying the car I also have a Karcher wet vac for windows which is amazing!

To dry the body I use a thick plush drying towel and pat the car dry, no rubbing dry as you increase the chances of swirl marks.

Hope all this helps,

If you want any more info on a correction detail then let me know

Thanks!

• Like 1

A full detail will take me around 8-10 hours and that's literally non stop :P

To start you'd want a DA polishing machine, they're easier to use and a lot less chance of doing any damage to the paint. Two popular models are the Meguiars G220v2 (which I have) and the Das6 /Das6Pro. Both very good machines.

A normal wash will involve two buckets,

Pressure wash the car to remove as much dirt as possible

Snow foam the car and let run for around 10 minutes, whilst cleaning panel gaps and grill with a detailing brush

Pressure wash all the remaining foam off

Start washing the car with a washmitt, starting at the top and working your way down.

I usually do the roof and windows, pressure wash the suds off

then the back

then the front

followed by each side

Also keep spraying the car to keep it wet in between every stage to stop it drying - thus avoiding water spots

You should wash off the mitt on a regular basis, inspecting the mitt for any contaminants stuck in the wool, picking them out and washing it to remove them (sometimes even spray it with the pressure washer :P )

Then for the alloys, Wheel woolies to get behind the alloy, then an old wash mitt to clean the face of the alloy.

Following the two bucket method again.

For drying the car I also have a Karcher wet vac for windows which is amazing!

To dry the body I use a thick plush drying towel and pat the car dry, no rubbing dry as you increase the chances of swirl marks.

Hope all this helps,

If you want any more info on a correction detail then let me know

Thanks!

Hi Marc.

Sorry for the late response. :o

That is exactly the kind of info i'm looking for pal!

Thanks for such a detailed description, it has certainly opened my eyes to what is involved although I don't intend to be spending 8 hours plus cleaning my car (as much as I would like to)! 15 month old girl makes sure of that! :blink:

I do want to get a DA polishing machine but your budget is much higher than mine! Don't think I could hide such a purchase from the missus to be honest! Are there any cheaper units that do the job or am I best sticking to doing it by hand??

I've seen this on e-bay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dodo-Juice-starter-kit-wash-clay-polish-wax-blue-velvet-/281159775161?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Car_Care_Cleaning&hash=item41766db3b9

What do you think? My car is "Ocean Blue" so quite dark in colour and I think doing it by hand could be quite enjoyable if I just did a panel at a time...

I'm looking into snowfoam at the moment too as I feel it is a MUST for a proper job.

My wash procedure will be this:

1. Pre-wash with lance only to start with to remove any stubborn dirt/grime.

2. Two bucket method wash using shampoo over entire car including alloys and windows (not bought shampoo yet).

3. Wash off shampoo with lance.

4. Snowfoam entire car and leave on for ten minutes (use this waiting time to clean door sills all round)

5. Wash off snowfoam with lance and pat down gently with microfiber cloth.

6. clay entire car making sure to lubricate well one panel at a time.

7. Two bucket wash again? (to clear any loose debris in clayed sections)???

8. Pre-wax car with dodo juice stuff. LOL

9. Wax entire car with other dodo juice stuff.

10. Polish to a nice shine.

FINITO!!

What do you think of my procedure?

Please please add to, or remove what I have wrote as necessary...

Bet I have forgotten a vital part somewhere!

What about cleaning my glass? Does the snowfoam take care of that or should I buy a particular glass cleaner?

Again, I apologise for so many questions! :rolleyes:

Mike.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club