• PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Focus
  • Year: 2011

Posted 02 September 2013 - 12:15 AM

Evening all, 

I was thinking of fitting some DRL's to my car and came across these

According to the description no modifications are necessary and it's just a case of swapping them out with the original lights, however there must be something in them to trick the car in to switching the LED's on...??

I've become fond of DRL's and some people are completely oblivious to your presence on the road, I know that they were originally meant to be for 'safety' however Audi seem to have perfected their headlights. 

P.S. I'm not really after the '!Removed!' look, but something that looks good.  :)

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 17,749 posts
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:12 AM

I would be wary, as these are projector headlights, which fit into a limbo category. I believe that for these, you will also need the washer jets or wipers installing to ensure they are road legal, but even then, you could potentially still be caught out.

As for the plug and play, its possible, but the car needs to have the wiring for a DRL circuit, it may not already have it, unless it lights the DRL's by an alternative means...

#3 iverbigun

iverbigun

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Name: shaun
  • Ford Model: focus sport

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:42 AM

Stay well away bud these lights are not legal the projector glass throws light all over the place already bought and returned.

#4 Brigante

Brigante

Resident Ranter

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,476 posts
  • Name: Charlie
  • Ford Model: Mondeo Titan X Sport 2.2 175BHP
  • Year: 2008
Contributor

Posted 02 September 2013 - 03:50 PM

They arent proper projectors like st hids they just use your standard bulbs. They dont throw light everywhere and dont require headlight washers.

I believe they are like the halo's i have and the drls replace the side lights meaning to turn the drls on you turn the sidelight switch on.

Thats why there is no modification needed

There would be a way though to get them to come on automatically but would obviously mean running extra wires n tapping into circuits

#5 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 17,749 posts
Contributor

Posted 02 September 2013 - 03:57 PM

I think given that Shaun has bought and returned this type of item, its best to stay clear!

#6 iverbigun

iverbigun

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 04:37 PM

They use a normal bulb but you can't align it and I was pulled as they blinded everyone.they are plug and play type and look great but save yourself the hassle. I imported a set from Germany thinking German made quality and when they turned up they was Chinese origin as well so even returned that set.so given up on headlights for mine.

#7 InKontrol

InKontrol

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:20 PM

Alright I'll stay away from them, the Ford Parts UK website shows a DRL light set that Ford manufacture. I'm not sure if they require that my car be pre-wired to take the extra LEDS, as all they are is the fog light covers with LED strips integrated in to them.

http://www.fordparts...t_f_1717416.htm

There's the link, I'm on the mobile so I can't shorten the link sorry!!!

#8 iverbigun

iverbigun

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:50 PM

I had some on mine but I just wired them into my sidelights. I removed them and just colour coded instead.they can be wired to the ignition so they come on all the time. There are some on eBay for 60 quid bud.a lot of the lads on here have them fitted.

#9 InKontrol

InKontrol

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:10 PM

Modifying any part of the cars wiring is not really on my radar, I'm after something that can be 'plug and play'

#10 iverbigun

iverbigun

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:46 PM

Don't really think there is a plug n play type of my knowing.all need piggy backing off some power source.

#11 iverbigun

iverbigun

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:47 PM

Don't really think there is a plug n play type of my knowing.all need piggy backing off some power source.

#12 InKontrol

InKontrol

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:59 PM

http://www.speedline...ion/f0007en.pdf

I've been looking at that guide on the net, am I right in saying that connecting the blue and white wires to the headlights is completely optional? It looks like it receives power from the fuse box, and then grounds itself using the ground connection. If so that's the sort of thing I'm after, I don't want to splice cables if I don't have to as the car is still under warranty.

http://www.thespeedl...OCUS-DRL/Detail

That's the link to the full product. 

#13 iverbigun

iverbigun

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:36 AM

I just wired mine into the sidelights but to get them to work on the ignition the white wire would go to headlight the yellow to the ignition and red battery source and black earthed. Your colour wires may be different but probably same fitting.

#14 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 17,749 posts
Contributor

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:22 AM

I fitted DRL's to my car and didn't need to touch any of the cars wiring to get them to come on automatically, the only thing I did have to do was a small nick in the sidelight wire, to wrap the "lights off" wire.

Basically, all you need is a

• piggy back fuse adapter
  • speaker wire (optional)
  • on / off relay (around a tenner) http://www.ebay.co.u... relay&_sop=15,
  • male / female spade connectors (or butt connectors) to join the wires
  • Electrical tape

Simple installation really, take the relay positive, and wire it into the piggy back plug. This will be plugged into the auxiliary fuse box and piggy backing off one of the "Engine Sensors" (you should use a 3amp fuse for the DRL). This means that it comes on when the ignition is on and off about 30 seconds after the car is killed

Take the negative, (if necessary. extend with speaker wire) this will then attach to the earth point, or the negative terminal of the battery.

Take the DRL live wire/s and wire these into the DRL positive output, then do the same for the negative.

Take the "DRL Off Wire" and locate the sidelight wire in the harnass leading to the headlight. This is normally orange / green on the nearside IIRC. Then with a pen knife, place the knife under the wire, and your thumb on top, then rotate the knife gently, but firmly around the wire to score the wire. With a finger nail, just pull back the sleeve to reveal the sidelight wire. Wrap the metal of the "off" wire tightly around the bare sidelight wire. I would suggest testing everything works, before the final stage, which is to wrap electrical tape securely around the joint, and then test again.

Plug it all in and jobs a good 'un.

Took me longer to decide where to to route the wires than it did to wire everything up.

#15 InKontrol

InKontrol

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:57 PM

Thanks for the help, is scoring and removing some of the sleeving from the sidelight wire is a necessary thing to do? I would've thought that the power loss in the fuse box when you switch the ignition off would be enough to kill the DRL's?

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: headlights, audi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users