Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Exhaust Rattle

MrBriggs

Hi Guys...

One of those weeks...

OK so I've just got back from hols (where you guys kindly helped me with a handbrake problem!!) and pull up with the window down... I can hear a fairly loud rattling noise (louder than idling) ...cue that heart in stomach feeling...

It's dark so I couldn't see much but the rattle is coming from the exhaust area, if not the exhaust itself. I should have tried seeing if it rattled with clutch down, revving it etc but didn't really want to p*** the neighbours off so I'll need to have a proper scooch at it tomorrow.

Any early ideas what it might be, things to check myself?? Obviously I've been a bit vague so far so not much to go on...

I'm no mechanic but to me it didn't sound too unhealthy (now jinxed?) - it was rattling at the same rhythm the engine idled at if that make sense, but not in a nice way. I've been on some rural roads lately so am thinking something might have just decided to give way...

Focus mk2, 1.6 tdci, 55 plate, about a trillion miles on the clock...

Cheers guys.

MB

I have found on the mk2 the heat shields are poor and will rattle at some stage but also the hangers welded on to the exhaist pipe itself. The front one just behind the subframe has a tendency to snap off as does one near the rear of the exhaust. The middle ones can and will break top but I have yet to come across one myself.

Heat shields are easy sorted in a few minutes, I have several methods depending on how the situation is. You will need to have a look underneath to see what the problem is, give the exhaust a shake too.

The exhaust hangers will need to be replaced with round bar bent to the correct shape and welded in again - easy to do of you have access to welding equipment.

Cheers Stef, like you suspected it's the heat shield above the exhaust. Pulled this fella out earlier! The shield had rusted through where it was attached to the bolts that were holding it up. It pulled out easy enough and would push back into position but I don't think I could re-bolt it - the threads on the bolts have rusted away. Think it would have to be a screw or spot-weld job. I did some googling today though and it seems lots of ppl get away with taking their heat shields off? Main concern seemed to be not parking on grass? Cant imagine that would be a problem in the north of England either way... Reckon it will be OK with the rear heat shield removed for a while/permanently?

Cheers man.

MB

(ps...excuse rust...have to say I'm slightly ashamed! But she's an old dear...)

post-45534-0-75662700-1378234787_thumb.j

post-45534-0-91530700-1378234808_thumb.j

iv been without any heat shield for about 2 months now - not I think that back bit that you took off has been off for about 6 though

I wouldn't worry, even without the full thing iv had no problems at all - not even noticed it tbh

good god man thats too much i couldnt sleep knowing there was that rust under therepost-8800-0-80728800-1378325161_thumb.jp

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club