Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Would This Be Restricting Air Flow?

exponential

Hi.

Had the bonnet up this morning and noticed this large kink in the air inlet to the engine from the air box (see atatched pic).

It looks completely off line when you look at it side on and its held on with a tie-wrap...

Strange how it isnt straight, looks like its been "shoehorned" into position.

Could it cause any issues?

Ive been getting the occasional stuttering when maintaining a certain thottle position in second gear..

Any thoughts guys.

Mike.

post-46014-0-33460300-1378202932_thumb.j

• Like 1

Nah, looks to me like someone replaced a jubilee clip with the cable tie, it seems to be sitting snugly on the edge and so will just be securing the hose to the pipe.

Nah, looks to me like someone replaced a jubilee clip with the cable tie, it seems to be sitting snugly on the edge and so will just be securing the hose to the pipe.

Hi jeebo.

What about the big crease right in the middle?

I dont think the pic does it justice.

Will go take another in a sec...

Looked again and see what you mean!

It may affect it a little, however unless the underside is exactly the same and choking it, I dont believe it would cause that much of a detriment.

Having looked at it now though, I wonder if you even have the right hose on there? looks like someone has replaced it, maybe with a part from a bigger motor (like a transit?) and just bodged it in?

Ok. Total noob coming through! LOL

I just tugged on the ribbed section and it popped into its natural position.

Slightly embarrassed now but mini crisis over! :D

Soz for wasting your time.....

Mike.

post-46014-0-53930700-1378204018_thumb.j

Looked again and see what you mean!

It may affect it a little, however unless the underside is exactly the same and choking it, I dont believe it would cause that much of a detriment.

Having looked at it now though, I wonder if you even have the right hose on there? looks like someone has replaced it, maybe with a part from a bigger motor (like a transit?) and just bodged it in?

It does look a little odd doesnt it!

Like its off-line or something.

If it isnt the correct pipe......why would someone even replace that piece?? Hmmmm

Hi Mike,

Dont worry about it, easy fixes are the best fixes there are! and its not wasting anyones time, its a valuable learning experience to everyone!

As for the part, well, without comparing it to someone elses, you wont know if that is design or the wrong part, but it does now (after popping it out) look like it belongs a bit more than it did, however I dont know if you would be better with a straight hose, rather than a bendy one.

If someone has the same motor and could post a pic of said hose, then it would be helpful to confirm its right or not!

• Like 1

Hi Mike,

Dont worry about it, easy fixes are the best fixes there are! and its not wasting anyones time, its a valuable learning experience to everyone!

As for the part, well, without comparing it to someone elses, you wont know if that is design or the wrong part, but it does now (after popping it out) look like it belongs a bit more than it did, however I dont know if you would be better with a straight hose, rather than a bendy one.

If someone has the same motor and could post a pic of said hose, then it would be helpful to confirm its right or not!

Damn right i'm learning! I get a nervous feeling when i know im gonna be doing something in the engine.

Like being an apprentice all over again.

Dropped a screw into the engine bay this morning from the airbox and panicked thinging it had gone into the radiator fan, luckily, the car started ok! Phewww

Supposed to be blanking off my EGR when it finally arrives ( the blanking plate that is) but how am i meant to do something like that if i cant even take an airbox off without dropping a screw into the engine!!

It aint looking good for me! LOL

Anyone out there got a pic of a 2009 1.6 tdci engine bay???

We all went through those nerves and concerns once upon a time, I still get them regularly, granted I havent done half the mods of some of my moderator colleagues! Its good to be apprehensive as your a bit more cautions.

The best suggestion I can offer you - buy yourself a magnetic screwdriver set, or buy yourself some "neodymium magnets" - Dirt cheap small but powerful magnets. If you don't have a screwdriver or ratchet that is magnetic, all you do is pop the magnet in the bottom so it lies flat on the base of the part, and then you put your adapter (screwdriver head / socket on top) and this magnetizes it.

Saved myself a few hours of agro doing this, and although 90% of the time when you pop off the head / socket, the magnet comes with it, but you push it back and have it ready for the next time!

• Like 1

We all went through those nerves and concerns once upon a time, I still get them regularly, granted I havent done half the mods of some of my moderator colleagues! Its good to be apprehensive as your a bit more cautions.

The best suggestion I can offer you - buy yourself a magnetic screwdriver set, or buy yourself some "neodymium magnets" - Dirt cheap small but powerful magnets. If you don't have a screwdriver or ratchet that is magnetic, all you do is pop the magnet in the bottom so it lies flat on the base of the part, and then you put your adapter (screwdriver head / socket on top) and this magnetizes it.

Saved myself a few hours of agro doing this, and although 90% of the time when you pop off the head / socket, the magnet comes with it, but you push it back and have it ready for the next time!

Thanks jeebo!

Much valued advice. :)

Ive invested in a socket set, just a few more bits n bats to get and im all set to start tinkering! LOL

Will definately be buying a magnetic atatchment and screwdriver set too.

Thanks again....

Mike.

Hi.

Had the bonnet up this morning and noticed this large kink in the air inlet to the engine from the air box (see atatched pic).

It looks completely off line when you look at it side on and its held on with a tie-wrap...

Strange how it isnt straight, looks like its been "shoehorned" into position.

Could it cause any issues?

Ive been getting the occasional stuttering when maintaining a certain thottle position in second gear..

Any thoughts guys.

Mike.

It is a strange one mate,

Could slightly restrict the smooth flow of air,

You could replace it but I would try push it out first,

For a smoother throttle response I'd blank the egr valve and fit a green cotton performance induction filter,

You will save as much as 3mpg after fitting both and reduced turbo lag guranteed

• Like 1

Hi Lenny.

I mangaged to pull the kinks out and it bounced back into place. :)

I have read and re-read your guide to fitting an EGR blanking plate (stainless steel) and on the strength of it, have ordered a blanking plate and bought a socket set to do the job...just waiting on the blanking plate to arrive and i'm good to go!

You couldn't put a link up to the necessary green filter for me could you??

1.6 tdci.

Mike.quote name="Lenny" post="287294" timestamp="1378218620"]It is a strange one mate,

Could slightly restrict the smooth flow of air,

You could replace it but I would try push it out first,

For a smoother throttle response I'd blank the egr valve and fit a green cotton performance induction filter,

You will save as much as 3mpg after fitting both and reduced turbo lag guranteed

• Like 1

No problem Michael,

Here is a link to purchase, but please confirm with the supplier prior t purchase that you require the drum shaped filter not the panelhttp://www.priracing.com/product.php/4211/826/ford-focus-1-6--1-8---2-0-tdci--07-on--green-cotton-air-filter

When purchasing use discount code: FORDOWNERSCLUB10

here is my fitting guide and detail about Green Cotton induction,

You can see the difference compared to the stock paper filterhttp://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/36783-green-cotton-performance-induction-filter-fitting-guide/

Thanks so much Lenny! :)

You're a good lad...

God, the state of your stock filter before you removed it!! WOW

Just goes to show that a service isn't always done "properly".

I will always double check any work done on my car (if possible).

Thanks again pal.

• Like 1

Just ordered a "green" air filter using the owners club discount code. :)

I did as you suggested Lenny and asked that they ensure a "drum" filter is sent.

Cant wait to fit it.....

• Like 1

Me too!!

Will give an honest opinion regardless...

Just gotta wait for them to deliver both the plate and filter....... :(

• Like 1

I hate waiting, lol, e-commerce is brilliant for prices, but miserable when you just want to get on with it!

• Like 2

Tell me about it!! LOL

Im like a big kid when I start ordering things! Now now now! :)

• Like 1

lol I was the same, I was gutted when I recently ordered my door sill protectors, realising they would come when I am away on holiday, and they turned up in 4 days! I was over the moon lol

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Taken from my thread on this:

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< UPDATE >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I purchased a cheap throttle position sensor from eBay for £15 (genuine part normally costs £70), fitted it and didn't solve the problem, so moving on.

After some research this is what I have found with regards to the stuttering/fuel starvation/misfiring :::

ecutesting.com :::

This common fault of misfire on two cylinders or complete non start is often caused by the ignition coil pack shorting out on the vehicle - it is very important that the ignition coil pack is replaced at the same time as refitting your ECU after it has been repaired - or your faulty coil pack may damage the repaired ECU. - http://www.ecutestin...u_misfire_.html

EXCELLENT thread from RAC.co.uk on this topic :::

Lots of detail into this very common Focus MK1 98-04 fault here:

How I think the problem occurred :::

I believe that when the speed sensor started malfunctioning I continued to drive the car, which may have caused the faulty speed sensor to damage the Ignition Coil Pack which then damaged the ECU.

How I'm going to tackle it now :::

Take out the ECU, read it's part number and send the ECU off for repair/replacement by ecutesting.com for (hopefully) £150.

Purchase new ignition coil pack for £25.

Will let you know how it goes :)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club