4 replies to this topic

#1 bluepete

bluepete

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Ford Model: focus tdci estate
Posted 07 April 2009 - 07:10 AM

Hi everyone.

I have got a focus estate tdci, my oil cooler has broke which i have had replaced at a cost off 325.65.
However my oil still has water in it and my coolent still has oil in it.

Without costing me anymore money (which i haven't got ) how can i sovle this??

I have been told off a work mate that i could drain the oil and the radiator and flush them out,is this true and if so how??

Your help and advise would be a massive help.

Cheers.

Pete

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 Whelk8891

Whelk8891

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus Mk1 Saloon 1.8 TDDi
Posted 07 April 2009 - 07:52 AM

Sump plug out to drain the oil - catch it in a container. Oil sits on top of water so any water in there should find its way out before all the oil has.

Bottom hose off to drain the coolant, then loosen the expansion tank cap otherwise not much will come out. The location of the bottom hose is self explanatory - its a hose at the bottom of the radiator.

You should flush the system through with a radiator flushing kit as simply flushing with water/hosepipe probably isn't going to shift all of the oil.

#3 bluepete

bluepete

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Ford Model: focus tdci estate
Posted 07 April 2009 - 09:19 AM

Sump plug out to drain the oil - catch it in a container. Oil sits on top of water so any water in there should find its way out before all the oil has.

Bottom hose off to drain the coolant, then loosen the expansion tank cap otherwise not much will come out. The location of the bottom hose is self explanatory - its a hose at the bottom of the radiator.

You should flush the system through with a radiator flushing kit as simply flushing with water/hosepipe probably isn't going to shift all of the oil.

Thanks for that advice.

Can i just ask will this have damaged my Engine??

Cheers.

#4 Whelk8891

Whelk8891

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus Mk1 Saloon 1.8 TDDi
Posted 07 April 2009 - 10:12 PM

Nah, shouldn't think so. But it won't fix itself and might cause damage if its left long term. Everything needs draining off and flushing through, really.

Its going to cost you money for replacement oil, you'll also have to replace the filter, and more coolant. Plus the cost of some radiator flush. If you do it all yourself, probly 30 or so, two or three times as much if a garage does it.

To be honest, I'm surprised the garage that repaired the original fault didn't do all this for you. They must've known the oil and coolant was contaminated??

#5 Big Gaz

Big Gaz

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Ford Model: Sierra
Posted 08 April 2009 - 01:56 PM

use bio washing liquid with the engine running to flush to coolant system mate. takes ages and unless youve had the hoses replaced will keep making your coolant black.

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users