Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Touch Up Tips

InKontrol

My used Focus I bought had a rather large area of paint chipped off it on the trailing edge of the front passenger side door (about 5 or 6mm from top to bottom), I managed to get a touch up kit (Metallic Sea Gray) for it and I've applied the first coat using the pointed head of a nail. I've left it to dry over night before applying the second coat tomorrow at work, how many coats would you recommend I apply and when I apply the laquer I've heard it's a good idea to over apply it and then T-Cut out the remaining lump of laquer.

Has anyone tried this method before with success?

My used Focus I bought had a rather large area of paint chipped off it on the trailing edge of the front passenger side door (about 5 or 6mm from top to bottom), I managed to get a touch up kit (Metallic Sea Gray) for it and I've applied the first coat using the pointed head of a nail. I've left it to dry over night before applying the second coat tomorrow at work, how many coats would you recommend I apply and when I apply the laquer I've heard it's a good idea to over apply it and then T-Cut out the remaining lump of laquer.

Has anyone tried this method before with success?

I haven't personally used the separate lacquer and paint sticks, but I've used an all in one, which apparently is a lot easier and better, as there's no messing around with loads of coats. Anyway I used a very fine artist brush for my fairly large chips and layered it as much as possible, the end result was good but not perfect, I then sparingly t-cutted the area and it looked very good. Over time when it hardens it becomes less noticeable so don't fret too much about the immediate result, if it does go wrong don't forget, a bit of white spirit will remove it all harmlessly (as its solvent based) just don't go too mad with it as it may lift the paint slightly around the chip.

With the seperate lacquer kits I'd recommend doing many layers and finish leaving a slight indent, then start on lacquer so when you've finished the lacquer it sits only just proud of the paint. Machine polisher is the best way to smooth hardened lacquer. Not sure about t-cut. Hand polish may take years lol.

I didn't know you could get all in ones for my paint colour, do you have a link? I'll probably end up removing the first layer that I've put on and start from scratch. Is it OK to drive around with it semi-repaired? *I can't sit around for 45 minutes at a time*

I don't have a machine polisher so may have to leave it as it'll be repaired until I can get access to one.

I didn't know you could get all in ones for my paint colour, do you have a link? I'll probably end up removing the first layer that I've put on and start from scratch. Is it OK to drive around with it semi-repaired? *I can't sit around for 45 minutes at a time*

I don't have a machine polisher so may have to leave it as it'll be repaired until I can get access to one.

Hi, it's fine to drive around with it semi repaired, just don't wash it, polish it or wax it until 48 hours since last coat. You could try t-cut with the lacquer but I'm unsure if it would work.

The one I bought was off amazon I just typed in 'moondust silver' this is the one I got: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B007O6H2ZO

Good for what it is and lasts a long time, matches my silver metallic paint quite well.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club