Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dpf Blocked 2010 Focus - 33000K Miles

Emz57

Hi guys I wonder if anyone can advise me on my problem. I own a 2010 ford focus 1.6 which has done 33000 miles. I started having problems just after my warranty expired in may 2013. Fords are not willing to help towards the replacement of the dpf because the car is out if warranty and they also mentioned they don't class me as a loyal customer as I bought the car 2nd hand when it only had 6000miles on the clock. They want £1252.40 to replace the dpf which I cannot afford. I have also only ever had the car serviced by the same ford dealer and have had a service plan with them for 3 years!!! Has anyone heard if a dpf going at such an early age ??? I have sent them a long old email but am yet to receive a reply. Any help would be much appreciated guys.

They need long motorway journeys to clean themselves. They are known to Fail on low mileage cars. So if you only ever go around town it could explain it.

Yeah that's mainly what I do but it does get a blast on the motorway at least once every 2 weeks. I'm just really !Removed! with fords lack of wanting to help after me having the service plan with them and only them servicing the car :(

as i would be.

i would put a big complaint in for that..take it you bought car from ford

if so, along with the service plan, which incidently should have included checking condition of dpf...yet class you as not loyal??...couldnt make it up

bet they didnt complain when you bought that car at probably above book price

That's a problem, I bought the car second hand with 6000miles on the clock. they said that because i never purchased it from a main dealer I was again not considered loyal and was probably less likely to trade it in got a new car with them! I drive around 24 miles a day mostly 30/40mph then do 5 mins of motorway in the evenings. They said that this is not enough to get the dpf hot enough to burn all the soot away. It's been into them 3 times since May and been regenned and had the computer reset each time but replacement is the only option they have given me.

i would take it for a long run, before condemning the dpf...

a good 100 mile trip with good bursts of 50mph plus, see if that makes a difference, end of the day, you only have their word they've tried a forced regen, not that i distrust dealers or anything.

still would be furious with that attitude, ford sold the car when new, it only had 6k on the clock and only ever serviced by ford..loyalty has nothing to do with it, dpf shouldnt be clogged at that mileage on type of journeys your doing..

part of the service schedule is to access and check ecu..this should have told them at what percentage the dpf is working at if they checked properly, you obviously were not given a warning at the services of impending build up in dpf..to me, this is where you argue your case, dpf's dont clog overnight.

but would still take it for good long run anyway

Thank you tony, I'm just a bit wary of driving the car now, the engine light came on last week and then the engine malfunction message flashed up and the car went into limp mode. i brought it straight into them. they apprently set a different code in the computer to stop it from happening again and told me to keep driving it and just monitor the problem but then last night the engine light came on again on the dash so I've parked it up. !Removed! had enough! I want to see if they reply to my letter and email. I have done everything by the book but they are not interested.

Have you contacted ford customer services? (as in head office)? Apologies if I missed this in your thread if you have already said this

I have sent an email to them Wednesday but haven't heard back from them as if yet. I assume they may be investigating.

This is what I got told to do if my dpf ever blocks off a mechanic mate of mine who knows alot about dpfs and how they work he told me to once ever other fill up put high octane fuel in because there's less soot in and it burns hotter, he told me to buy some dpf cleaner the jml is supposed to be good ive used that before, I got it from a1 motorsports, he said most cars you need at least half tank of fuel for it to do a regeneration, and he said the best way to clean it is to get on motorway when its quite leave it in 4th or 5th depending what your car does 70 at and try stay at 3000 rpm for a good 15 mins but make sure the engine is warm before you start your 15 mins run, sometimes depending on the car he wasnt sure on the focus but he said espically with bmw if theres a fault code sometimes on they dont show them because mine didnt when my blocked, some cars wont do the regeneration unless the code is cleared, he did a regeneration for me on his machine and quite alot of crud came out but it felt like a new car, im sure most garages can do them now with there diagnostics equipment id advise to ring a local garage and see what they will charge to do it.

The dpf catches so many people out. They buy a diesel to ' save money', tootle around and the dpf chokes up. Then they need to burn gallons going nowhere to burn it off. Great savings there.

Yep just done a 30 mile trip today hopefully it regenerated itself !Removed! stupid things

Mines back at the garage again, engine management light came on then went into limp mode after ford said they confused and reset the computer...? Had a call from ford customer service today after i sent a letter which said i was seeking legal advice...they said they are investigating the matter for me! Will have to wait and see what they say on Thursday ! Will keep you posted guys.

Mines back at the garage again, engine management light came on then went into limp mode after ford said they confused and reset the computer...? Had a call from ford customer service today after i sent a letter which said i was seeking legal advice...they said they are investigating the matter for me! Will have to wait and see what they say on Thursday ! Will keep you posted guys.

Very interesting topic regarding DPF's and that is what is putting me off buying a diesel Ford at the moment.

I am looking to buy a Fusion 1.4 TDCI as that engine doesn't have a DPF so I have been told.

Also interested in a pre 2009 Focus 1.6 TDCI ( 90 ) but am confused as to whether or not it will have a DPF.

Good Luck with getting your problems sorted.

You've got to ask yourself why you want a car with a noisier, heavier, smellier, rougher engine that uses more expensive fuel. If you do 30k miles a year then yes, go for it, but the expenses tides have turned in petrol's favour for anyone who does less than 15k miles/ year.

• Like 1

You've got to ask yourself why you want a car with a noisier, heavier, smellier, rougher engine that uses more expensive fuel. If you do 30k miles a year then yes, go for it, but the expenses tides have turned in petrol's favour for anyone who does less than 15k miles/ year.

Depends how much the car is when you buy it.

My TDCi was a bargain for what I got imo, it also doesn't smell at all, is in no way rough (taking her over 4k RPM is highly addictive) and I worked out that the difference in MPG more than makes up for the difference in price even on my short journeys and low mileage.

There is less than 10% difference in price but often a 30%+ difference in economy.

If you can pick up a bargin and negate any difference in initial cost between petrol and diesel I think diesel can still be the better choice in many situations.

Get the DPF removed and remapped to tell the ECU it's not there. A company up my way will do all this for £350-450 depending on car. Your performance and MPG can be increased too!

Does anyone know if the dpf filter in my 2010 focus is combined cat dpf it if its a dpf on its own?

They still have cats usually tje dpfs just stop the black soot from coming out

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club