Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Possible Miss-Fire - Advice Please

ZetecShearer1987

Hi

I am having a slight issue with my focus since i have owned it, when i go up a steep incline or go round a roundabout in a high gear, probably 2nd gear mostly, the car surges slightly like its loosing power and doesnt run smoothly.

Its strange to explain what it is, but it only happens in these situations never in a straight line or on a flat level surface.

Anyone got any ideas what might be the cause of this, i did take the car back to the garage i brought it from over the same issue but they said the was no codes from the ecu.

Had exactly the same issue mate. (Still do).

I invested in a bluetooth code reader for £8 and it brought up fault code P2002 DPF operating below efficiency threshold.

The car loses power momentarily and shudders then not long after, the MIL illuminates with the same code every time...

Im having mine removed soon so wont have the problem for much longer... :)

The only issue from that is that mine is a petrol so won't have a dpf on it. Still doing it. Could it be a fuel filter issue or something more sinister With the engine

Oh right. Soz!

Im on the mobile version so cant see your sig.

Could be the butterflies on your inlet manifold gasket or, like you say, fuel filter/pressure issue?

Im no mechanic tho so i hope somebody with more knowledge comes along soon!

i have noticed when driving today that randomly the car does seem to lose power and the engine does sound alot louder and rougher when accelerating around 2000 rpm to 4000rpm, does sound and feel very different when i drive the car.

Blocked fuel lines?

Cracked/split hoses?

I hope you get an answer soon pal.

Fuel surge could be the cause of the uphill or cornering miss-fire, especially when the fuel level is low

Many NA 4-cylinder petrol- engines can suffer from a low to midrange flat spot (the 2-to 4k "roughness")

Other things to check are plugs, HT leads and coil packs (when were the plugs last changed?)

Hi thanks for the reply,

FOCA

I only purchased the car in june and the garaged had serviced the car prior to purchase. So i guess the plugs were changed or maybe not, no idea when the ht leads were changed perhaps never since the car was new, its only 3 years old, and no idea about the coil pack.

This problem has got much worse over the last few days, you can clearly tell when the car is running really rough, it idles pretty much ok, not real drop in engine revs. When driving and accelerating the engine sounds really loud and ragged and also has no engine power, then for example the next day its ok and pulls smoothly and quieter.

I have also noticed when i first start the car in the morning it does sound very clicky and tappy.

The oil levels are all normal and after running in for 5 mins the engine is super quiet on idle, it just seems when driving i get this issue, very confusing.

Hi the car has only done 44,000 full service history only 3 years old, i am wondering if it could be something else rather than the engine, for example the exhaust.

The engine does tick over perfectly and is very quiet after its warmed up (a bit unrefined when first started) I use bp ultimate or v power so i am a bit confused to what it could be.

Its only when i drive the car it intermittantly loses power and the engine sounds really rough and loud.

So i may it could be exhaust related, or something else

if you have a miss fire that bad it will be available on the dtc on the dash trick otherwise ide say check the plugs they say 60k change on the plugs its likely they are 3 years old and i do them every year regardless so thats one issue second is make sure the leads are secure on the plugs some get a bit loose and arent fully sitting on the plug as said that car isnt refined when cold till the oil warms up

thanks i will check the plugs and ht leads, could this possibly lead to a new coil pack

Checked the plugs and leads, the plugs looked immaculate no oil or water in there also when I checked the connection to the coil pack. One of the leads I pushed on clicked into place like it wasn't on properly I may be wrong but I have driven the car since Inn the last hours with no apparent issues and the car ran smooth, so maybe that has fixed it but take will tell as it's only 1 single journey.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club