Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Egr Programming

shamus1

hi folks is there any kit you can buy to programme the egr valve on the 2.0 tdci so you don't have to take it to ford,before I bought my car it had a new one fitted and car runs fine when hot but when cold first start runs lumpy but starts instantly,if I unplug egr when its lumpy its perfect so have searched the web and found a few posts of exactly the same thing but they had not had the egr programmed?so am thinking previous owner never had it programmed any thoughts,many thanks.

as far as i know the egr valve is a straight swap with no programming required,have you checked to see if the valve is sticking or gummed up with carbon?

from everything I have read it has to be programmed on the focus 2.0 tdci,yes took valve off and cleaned it wasn't very dirty you could tell it was new.

Buy a blanking plate off eBay, about a fiver. Jobs done, basically bypasses it, and has no effect on performance. Some say it may throw a light up every now and then, but a cheap code reader will delete when necessary.

• Like 2

if I blank it and drill a small hole in blank will that stop the light coming on ?

Tbh I don't no of any that's come on..... mine hasn't but I have the 1.8..... it enhances performance if ur other is dud.....

• Like 1

anyone out there with the 2 litre tdci blanked and keep getting the mil light on?

if I blank it and drill a small hole in blank will that stop the light coming on ?

If you drill a hole or buy a plate with a hole/ holes already drilled to let the gasses through - it defeats the purpose/ advantages of the plate and EGR has to be working (a solid plate "fixes" a leaky/ malfunctioning EGR valve/ system by effectively disabling it)

You should either fit a solid (EGR blanking) plate or not bother fitting a plate, IMO

• Like 2

Ive just got a blanking plate for 2.0 tdci, need to fit it now, ive got a bluetooth obd reader for my phone so if it ever puts a code up I can delete it , ive got it so it doesn't block my dpf up any faster, hope im right lpl

• Like 2

Ive just got a blanking plate for 2.0 tdci, need to fit it now, ive got a bluetooth obd reader for my phone so if it ever puts a code up I can delete it , ive got it so it doesn't block my dpf up any faster, hope im right lpl

Nice one! - If you take step-by-step photos of what you do, you could make a wee guide for fitting it, as no-one has done one for a 2-litre Focus on here, as far as i'm aware

• Like 2

Ill probably do it within the next few weeks looks easy enough hopefully wont have to take the plastic panel off, think I shud be able to get in with a small socket, the egr plate ive got is one that jusy slides in so don't have to undo it all the way.

• Like 1

hi folks is there any kit you can buy to programme the egr valve on the 2.0 tdci so you don't have to take it to ford,before I bought my car it had a new one fitted and car runs fine when hot but when cold first start runs lumpy but starts instantly,if I unplug egr when its lumpy its perfect so have searched the web and found a few posts of exactly the same thing but they had not had the egr programmed?so am thinking previous owner never had it programmed any thoughts,many thanks.

It is indeed possible that the previous owner fitted a new EGR valve and did not had it programmed. When an EGR valve is changed on the 1.6 and 2.0 TDCI it must be programmed (calibrated) to the PCM. Basically this means that the full open and full closed position of the EGR valve are told to the PCM. after programming the PCM can determine the exact position of the EGR valve. When a new EGR valve is not programmed to the PCM the PCM still uses the calibration of the old EGR valve. In this case the PCM can think that the EGR is fully closed when it is actually a bit open.

I do not know the MOT regulations in the UK but our Dutch annual equivalent of the MOT does not accept a burning MIL light or a stored DTC code which starts with a P. A burning MIL light or a stored DTC code which starts with a P is a direct faillure. In holland a blanking plate is often installed to avoid EGR problems. when instaling a blanking plate it must have a 6 mm hole in it and the EGR valve must be in a good condition otherwise the MIL light will come on and a DTC code is stored.

• Like 1

well started car this morning and idle was very bad hunting,disconnected egr perfect idle so am convinced egr needs programming,does anyone know how much I should expect to pay ford for this,is it part of their diagnostics?

well started car this morning and idle was very bad hunting,disconnected egr perfect idle so am convinced egr needs programming,does anyone know how much I should expect to pay ford for this,is it part of their diagnostics?

Just keep it dissconnected - if the EML (engine management light) comes on just invest in a code reader (from about £20 online) and reset the codes using that

If you plan to buy a EGR blanking plate, don't waste your time with one of the ones with holes in, this defeats the purpose of the plate and you may as well not bother

A solid plate "fixes" a faulty or leaking EGR valve by effectively disabling it a new EGR valve could cost £120+ and who knows what extortionate price Ford will charge you to fit it/ set it up - the plate is aboout £5 (+ the engine will run better with the EGR blanked or disabled )

I recommend a solid, stainless steel plate

• Like 1

have been in contact with previous owner and he confirmed his local garge fitted new egr valve for him,my question is is it only ford who can program it with their equipment or can other equipment be used to program it?

I know there are some Ford specific diagnostic systems which also have the ability to program/calibrate the EGR valve. I own a FoCom interface/software which (regarding the manual) should be able to calibrate a new EGR valve but I never tried.

As far as I know most universal diagnostic equipment does not have the ability to do Ford specific programming. In most cases it is only possible to read/erase stored DTC codes and watch realtime values of all available sensors.

if it runs fine whilst its un plugged... run it for a day or two and then make up your mind... id say blank it off, connect wires bk up and chuck in the plate..... tbh you have nothing to loose...

• Like 1

the only thing I didn't like running with it unplugged there seemed to be more diesel knock when cold.

would that knock just be in your head (thinking it was louder) due to the connector un plugged? ( dont take that the wrong way?)

i tried running mine without it being plugged in, but as mines motorised it just cut out.... so i connected it bk up and chucked the plate in....

yes that's my engine but mines a 05 yours is 08 I take it.

thats not mine... here is mine ...

2386d1333024333-how-egr-clean-img-201203

• Like 2

thats not mine... here is mine ...

2386d1333024333-how-egr-clean-img-201203

A 1.8 made by Ford? (not PSA)