23 replies to this topic

#16 FOCA

FOCA

Feet on the table

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,860 posts
  • Name: FOCA
  • Ford Model: Mondeo Mk3 Sleeper 194 flb.p.t.
  • Year: Non
Contributor

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:55 PM

You reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery - a remap is a different thing - be careful you don't lose your radio code

I am very "pro" blanking the EGR, in my opinion, the EGR system should not have been fitted in the 1st place, unfortunately, your car is one of the ones that the EML (Engine Management Light) comes on (sooner or later) when you fit a solid EGR blanking plate

Some motorists prefer to run with the solid plate and reset their fault codes regularily with a code reader     

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 Welsh Steve

Welsh Steve

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Name: Steve
  • Ford Model: Mondao Edge Tdci 140 Estate
  • Year: 2008

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:16 AM

if i drill a few holes in it will the EML stay off

#18 stooge75

stooge75

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • Ford Model: Mondeo tdci zetec

Posted 07 October 2013 - 02:34 AM

No.eventually itll come on. Wont put it into limp mode though
When i did mines with a 10mm hole eml came on eventually.
Or you can cover over the eml bulb & just drive it & read your fault codes every now & then to make sure you only have p0401/0405 egr circ low

#19 FOCA

FOCA

Feet on the table

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,860 posts
  • Name: FOCA
  • Ford Model: Mondeo Mk3 Sleeper 194 flb.p.t.
  • Year: Non
Contributor

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:29 PM

if i drill a few holes in it will the EML stay off

Possibly - but drilling the plate is a waste of time as it defeats the purpose of the plate

A solid plate will "fix" a faulty or leaking EGR valve by disabling it  - one with a hole needs to be used with a working EGR valve  

A solid plate completely shuts off the carbon/ exhaust outlet from entiering the inlet - so the inlet stays clean, engine picks up better, a drilled plate only cuts it down slightly - so does not work as well  

My advice - best option - fit a solid plate and reset your EML now and again, or,  dont fit a plate at all - a drilled plate is a waste of time and the EML may still even come on with the reduced flow on some cars anyway  (so its allowing some carbon/ burnt gasses through AND the EML comes on - worse in every way)

#20 stooge75

stooge75

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • Ford Model: Mondeo tdci zetec

Posted 07 October 2013 - 02:47 PM

even a 10mm hole,the eml will appear afer a few days/week

#21 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 17,749 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 07 October 2013 - 04:33 PM

With the new(ish) air filter, boost hose sorted, EGR blanked and with the ECU reset, i can imagine it would feel like a "different car"   now all you need is a tuning box or remap :lol:

And an inlet manifold cleanout....

And a terraclean...

And does your have a DPF? (just kidding)

Due to the battery replacement, it has had an ECU refresh, so its still learning but it certainly feels a bit better, unfortunately though, I am a bit hesitant at the moment to put my foot down, wondering when the gearbox is going to blow (long story, another rainy day!) but when I do, it does seem to move more comfortably.... I just need to run it in, let the ECU do its thing after a few tanks, not reset it (its been reset on average after every 2 tanks recently!) then I am sure it will play a lot more happily!

Inlet Manifold, probably could do with a clean, but as I am moving house at the moment, and the time of year, and all the rest, I doubt I will get chance to do it!

Terraclean - I really do consider it. IF the gearbox does go adios, and I do replace it rather than chop the car, then I probably will get terraclean done anyway!

As for the DPF - I am damned grateful I dont have it, I would have removed it with my fingernails by now, just because its there! aaaah, long gone are the Y2K regulations that didnt conform to the European Dictatorship

which intercooler pipe was cracked mate?just curious

It was the Turbo Intercooler Pipe.  Known faulty design by Ford, just not paid for them by them! take a look at my signature and have a look at the PDF I threw together and you should be able to see the damage yourself!

WHAT A RESULT, off to a family gathering yesterday, car full of wife, kids & dog.

Lost all power, car in "limp home mode" managed to get to next services on MWay.

Wife & Daughter headed for loo and met RAC man whilst i was on the phone to Control centre. Fitter pulled up alongside whilst i was still on the phone & got the job pinned to him. "I used to work for some French car maker Ren^&*t that use the same engines" he said.

2 min later he said " It's your EGR valve Sir, I have a blanking plate here." 3 min later, fitted then test drive & job booked off.

Breakedown to back on road 20-30 min I LOVE THE GUY!!!

NOW

NO hesitation at speed on motorway. Pull away in 1st without any thottle up hill & get up to 3rd without throttle on the flat, power from 1200 rpm.

It's like having a new car, even though there is 137,000 on the clock.

Must unplug the Battery for 30 Min tomorrow to remap.

Thanks for all uour help and advice Guys, i wish i had just blanked the bloodything off last month.

Now that is a brilliant way for it to go! and last month is last month, at least its fixed now, playing nicely and a reset of a code now and then should save you a few months to years of misery!

#22 Anthony Obrien

Anthony Obrien

• Members via FB
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Posted 13 December 2013 - 07:29 AM

Where do you get the EGR blanking plate from

#23 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 17,749 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 13 December 2013 - 10:25 AM

ebay :)

Just search for Stainless Steel EGR blanking plate Mondeo, or EGR Blanking Plate Mondeo (only look at the Stainless steel ones, the aluminium ones are not worth it)

#24 Anthony Obrien

Anthony Obrien

• Members via FB
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Posted 13 December 2013 - 12:31 PM

ebay :)

Just search for Stainless Steel EGR blanking plate Mondeo, or EGR Blanking Plate Mondeo (only look at the Stainless steel ones, the aluminium ones are not worth it)

Will do mate thanks

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: EGR, TDCI, 58 Plate, 2ltr

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users