Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus Ball Joint Dust Covers

WinDrop

Hi All,

Could you please tell me the size of ford focus year 2001 1.6 petrol ball joint dust cover size?

I need to change them to pass MOT, but only need to change actual dust covers and not ball joints themselves.

Kind Regards,

Arturs.

Most folk will just replace the joint instead of messing around changing a boot. I have done it once on a mk3 mondeo track rod end so I didn't need to have the tracking sorted but I wouldn't bother doing it again to be honest.

The thing is with my focus that if I want to replace the joint I will have to replace the whole thing and not only the ball joint.

There are two different types of ball joints for ford focus, ones can be changed because they have screws on them while other ones can't be changed (as mine)
SO instead of spending £70 on parts and then another £50 to change them I would rather just buy dust covers themselves and change them for MOT as everything else is in good condition and that would cost me around £10

So minimum saving would be minimum £100

That's the reason why I need the sizes :(

All you need to do is drill the rivets out and bolt in a new ball joint - total cost is £20. No need to replace the complete arm.

Have you tried to release the ball joint from the knuckle yet?

Nah, I haven't done anything yet. My mate had a look at them when he changed my clutch the other day and said that ball joints are in very good condition and there is no point to change them, all i have to do is change dust covers.

Also, non of us have a drill to drill the rivets out so that's why he suggested me to change the dust covers and forget about everything else.

I can buy dust covers from my local GSF shop but they need to know the size.

I been looking all over the internet and can't seem to find it :(

whats the choise of sizes available

and how much are they, If they are not so expensive buy both to save you the stress and time...

They are £1.50 each.

Not sure about the sizes. Didn't ask in the shop.

I pretty sure there are three standards:
1. Small

2. Medium.

3. Large

I'm also nearly sure that the ones I need are medium size but before I buy them I would still like to make sure that I buy the right ones :)

I think the only way you are going to find out the sizes to be honest is to go and remove the wheel and measure them.

£1.50 each is a good price, I have seen them go for double that each.

Yeah, Probably that will be the only way to find that out :(
Shame though :(

Thanks for the help everybody.

And yeah, price is very good, I wouldn't really think about changing just the dust covers if they would cost any more than that.

• 8 years later...

Bringing up an old thread, had the complete lower control arm replaced 6 months ago and the boot is already torn!

Will be looking to just replace the boot, does anyone know whether its the small or medium boot that is required?

Where are they being sold as small medium and large?  Medium at one place might not be same size as medium somewhere else.

5 minutes ago, isetta said:

Where are they being sold as small medium and large?  Medium at one place might not be same size as medium somewhere else.

Pic 2 shows the 3 different sizes

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Focus-1-4-Stabiliser-Link-Ball-Joint-Rubber-Boots-Dust-Cover-x-2-FREE-CLIPS-/254100775737?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

For example I put in eBay : ball joint gaiters and found sellers offering a set of 14 different sizes .  So which one of those is considered medium.  It needs to have correct size hole at each end and a certain height. If it’s not right it will be no good, update:  typed this before I saw reply

1 minute ago, isetta said:

For example I put in eBay : ball joint gaiters and found sellers offering a set of 14 different sizes .  So which one of those is considered medium.  It needs to have correct size hole at each end and a certain height. If it’s not right it will be no good

I've provided the link above...

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club