Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mot Fail...mk1 Rear Trailing Arm Bushes..are They East To Remove And Fit

WILLY1

mk1 estate failed on rear trailing arm bushes....the ones which bolt to car with a bar through...are they easy to remove and fit.....any help please

cheers will

251275373793_1.jpg

Look forward to the reply,my focus just passed its MOT with an advisory on the off side trailing arm bush,looks a simply job however the bolts are really rusty and could be a right pain to remove

Just for your info, this is the location and fitment of the bushes-

post-28494-0-11152800-1378652199_thumb.j

• Like 2

anyone changed there bushes......do they need a special tool .....

are they easy nope is the answer the whole rear subframe needs to be dropped to do it and then its a mare to get the old bushes out as the steel pin is rusted in place pull too hard you bend the arm and thats that easiest way that ford do it is to drop the rear frame replace the bushes and then do a wheel alignment on the car ford did not grease any bolts on the rear so all are ceased when a mechanic did a mates and tried to do it his way by removing the lower arms he sheared bolts they were so badly rusted so almost all the bushes on the rear had to be replaced i paid ford to do it less hassle and they know the tricks but it isnt cheap

post-8800-0-12218100-1378674744_thumb.jp

as you see to gain access there are quite a few other arms to remove the traditional way any of those snap you need those new arms and bushes

• Like 1

Sod that,mine will be going in to my local garage then,

Thanks for posting the info guys

• Like 1

iam going to have a go anyway.....wish me luck......if i cant do it atleast the arm will be off ,to maybe get a new 1 pressed in

If you can get the arm off you will have no trouble changing them

• Like 1

just dont bend the arm easier to do than you may think and buy decent bushes the cheap ones are rubbish

• Like 1

had to have my sons car done, parts around £24 and fitting was about £80, did not have to take arms off, would have done it my self if a had the special puller, cost to much to buy puller that you need to do the job..

• Like 1

do you need puller ,,,,or can you knock them out with pipe or socket

thanks for any help

If they arent rusted in they can be pulled out its easier to burn them out i dont know how they remove them without dropping the rear the only way i know of is by bending the arms bend them the car will steer like junk

I would much rather use the bush tool, its got slots in it to fit over the bush and saves a lot of messing around

a tool I should be renting out :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

update.........yes you were right .....proper pain to do ..had to take arms off and bang bushes out....2 lower link arms rusted up and had to be cut off....all bolts seized up and cut off with grinder and saw.....if your doing these bushes buy some m12 x 80mm bolts and nuts...and you may need some link arms or bushes for them ....they will be seized up

Reading this thread just reminded me - on my last service they mentioned "Bottom front lower arm bush splitting". In the estimated amount, they've put £548!!! I remember asking at the time and they said it's just wear and tear and nothing to worry about.

parts are only £20 for 2 ....each side....just a pain doing it

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club