Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Reverse Gear Question

xFiestaLoverx

Why do you have to wait 5 seconds before selecting reverse Gear? (According to the manual too)

When you don't wait the 5 seconds, why does it sometimes not reverse but rather, make that rattling sound?

Just wondering because when I'm parking in a carpark and I need to be quick, yet my car doesn't want to reverse forcing me to wait a few seconds, gets kind of annoying.

Thanks guys

Its just the way alot of ford gearboxes are unfortunately. If you dont wait a few second you tend to find it'll grind when you try to put it into reverse or just wont go in atall

Its the way the gear boxes are designed

Thanks, yeah I get the grind or it just wont go into reverse!! So annoying, makes you look like you cant drive >.<

You probably dont need to wait a full 5 seconds but when you need to reverse make sure your car has fully stopped.

The reason you need too wait 5 seconds is for the gear synchros too slow the gear down too allow the gear too be slected easily, if you dont wait the 5 seconds that is why you get difficult selection or gear grinding when selecting reverse