Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Zetec S 1.0 Vs Fiesta St-2

kyle1

So, I like both cars but this is really killing me deciding between them, I just know with petrol prices going up I could either love or hate the ST-2. I like cruising at speeds of around 70-80 on the motorway, therefore whatever would allow me to do that cheaper wins the race for sure, I love being able to shoot past people if need be without waiting for the car to gain power. I really do like both cars but I'm finding it so difficult to decide.

Few questions to those with either:

Do you regret getting the ST2/ZS?

What's your MPG like and what speed do you drive at on A roads etc? (Please specify ZS or ST)

Was your money well spent?

How much does it cost to fill your car up all the way? (Please specify)

Is keyless entry worth the money as an extra on the ZS, and is it better than using a key on the ST-2?

I've got a few more days to decide which car I'd like to get and I have benefits of each really
Here's the basics of what I'm considering:
Zetec S
  • Looks very nice
  • Interior is semi-decent
  • GREAT on petrol
  • £618 insurance (17y/o)
  • £0 road tax
  • 125bhp in a 1.0, not sure if that's good or bad because of the engine size but ecoboost would be good on petrol.
ST-2
  • Looks amazing in blue
  • Very nice interior
  • Decent-ish MPG (been told around 31 with caning)
  • Decent on insurance £1,600 (17y/o)
  • 185bhp will be beastly.
Here's the differences:
Zetec S
151205_1.jpg
ST-2
ford-fiesta-st-2_1.jpg
Really, money isn't the issue, however it's sort of depending on MPG right now, I've been told figures of just below 40 for caning the ZS 1.0, cruising at about 70/80. However I've been told using the turbo in the ST-2 will get you around 31mpg.
There's around a £2,500-3,000 difference between the two models I want (with the extra's) and I know for a fact an ST will hold its value better than the ZS will...
Please help me here, my mind is going in/out on deciding lol.

If you can afford an st and insurance, and only worried about the difference in fuel consumption (which isn't a massive margin), then I'd say the ST2 is a no brainer

• Like 1

I'm a 17 year old boy, I can't make decisions very well lmao.

My parents are both telling me to go for an ST-2 as well as my friends, I think I will bite the bullet as soon as I place an order that's my deal done. I've been talking to Craig and he's told me £60 will get me around 400 miles. That's more than my current car does for sure, after selling my car the total price I would've paid for the ST-2 is £10,000.

• Like 1

If it helps I'm changing from a 60 plate ZS to a new ST2 (in blue :P). Completely different engines in the old and new ZS but the 0-60 time is about the same, and I often find times when extra power would be good/handy/fun hence the switch. I'm currently getting around 38mpg so the difference isn't as much as between the new ZS and ST, but at the end of the day if you want the performance you have to pay the price!

The ZS was, and still is, a great car but as with anything you always reach a point when you want more out of it. Seeing as there's not a huge difference in price between the 2 I would say go for the ST - if you get the ZS you will always be looking up to the ST wishing you'd gone for that instead. Also with the overboost the ST is more like 200bhp :D. Your insurance quote suprises me - the ST one is way less than my first insurance on a standard old Fiesta 8 years ago and you're only 17!

I've gone for the keyless entry on the ST as I've always fancied it, and now whenever I lock my car I always think how much more convenient it will be not having to use the key. Only you can decide if it's worth the cost to you! Although the cost of options adds up you don't want to end up regretting not getting exactly what you want - if you keep the car for 3 years it's a long time to be without something you could have had.

Have you test driven either/both? It's all well and good looking at them on paper but what really matters is how it drives. I was all set to buy the Focus ST until I drove it, but it just didn't feel right for me. I then drove the Fiesta ST and subsequently ordered one, so you really need to try them both out.

If it does all come down to MPG then it has to be the ZS, reading posts on here people are getting close to 50mpg so compared to ~30 on the ST it is quite a difference. If money is no object though, does MPG really matter? Inside I'm sure you know what you really want. Hope this rambling helps!

• Like 1

I like cruising at speeds of around 70-80 on the motorway, therefore whatever would allow me to do that cheaper wins the race for sure...

... I've been told figures of just below 40 for caning the ZS 1.0, cruising at about 70/80. However I've been told using the turbo in the ST-2 will get you around 31mpg.

You need to decide what is important to you.

What I've quoted above makes it sound like th ZS is the one for you. If, as you have said, the money isnt really an issue for you, I dont understand why you are consideing mpg as such a deciding factor...

At 17 though, image counts for a lot. If you want a car that has a decent amount of poke and will impress your mates more, the ST is the one to go for.

Both are great cars for slightly different purposes.

I'm around 2 months away from 1 year NCB (touch wood) and please note £1600 is overtaking my current car on my current policy which leads until February (which is quite a lot) but a full year would be £2,200.

There's a local car meet which ALWAYS happens right near me, roughly around 5 miles away and there's always an ST or 2 there (see what I did there? lol) and I think having an ST would honestly stand out among the usual corsa's and the mk6 ST's etc. I do agree, the extra power would be very nice and would stop me from getting bored for a few years to come (whereas I might want more power from the ZS next year and decide I want a new car after just paying £14,000).

My parents have keyless entry on their Focus ST and it really does seem useful, especially since I'm very fussy with security and the ST comes with a Thatcham CAT-1 alarm whereas the ZS comes with the standard alarm, and getting an alarm fitted would cost me a further £250.

I definitely agree that if I go to a ZS I'll regret it in a year's time or so or when I see an ST shoot past me on the motorway, I can't test drive either as I'm only 17 and you have to be 18 to test drive the car, but I've been inside an ST-2 whilst the dealer drove the car and he was quite young and he definitely enjoyed driving it. He kept letting the turbo kick in and it was honestly amazing, the seats are gripping and they sort of pull you in and make you want to stay.

Well, money will always be a factor but in time my earnings will increase due to being self employed (touch wood, yet again) so I assume I'd see more fun out of an ST-2 as would my friends/family when being in it. I believe I'm just going to bite the bullet and go for the ST-2, going to go down there now and order it. Worst comes to worse, I'll have to sell it. RRP of the car is £18,900 but I managed to get £1,900 off and get it for £17,000 with every option I want. I believe I could make my money back if I decide it's not for me, and my brother literally loves the ST-2 so I believe I'd make him pleased rather than getting the ZS.

I agree with you, Dave, at my age, image does count for a lot. So therefore with these two posts I am going to buy the ST-2, I'm taking a little drive down to Ford now to order it.

I'm sorry for the countless threads, this decision was pretty big for me and I believe I've gone for the right one. I wanted the ST-2 in the first place and I've gone back to it after days of thinking so I've not second guessed my first option in reality.

Dont apologise for the threads - £18k is a lot of money!

i would have played devils advocate and gone - how about a ZS with the remap?

but nah, screw it. just go with the ST since you're fortunate to.

As a word of warning though: the 'I wont drive it that much' theory goes straight out the window!

im nearly 3800miles in after 2 months from driving it as much as poss :lol:

what about a nearly new ST as well? that'll take out the purchase sting (and waiting time)

• Like 1

17 year old with less than a years experience in an ST sounds dangerous to me.

• Like 1

i would go against most and say go for the zs.

You are only 17!

I had three jobs and couldn't even afford wheels for my peugeot back then!

The zs is fast enough, free tax, way better insurance and if you pick the right colour - a very nice motor.

I personally wouldn't buy a newish car even if i had the money at your age. You dont actaully learn to drive until you have done 2 years experience in both town and rural.

But its entirely upto you. ;)

i would go against most and say go for the zs.

You are only 17!

I had three jobs and couldn't even afford wheels for my peugeot back then!

The zs is fast enough, free tax, way better insurance and if you pick the right colour - a very nice motor.

I personally wouldn't buy a newish car even if i had the money at your age. You dont actaully learn to drive until you have done 2 years experience in both town and rural.

But its entirely upto you. ;)

The only thing I'm wondering about is, a ZS would in theory last me a year/half before I'd want more power from it (a remap can take it to... 150bhp?) whereas an ST would last me around 3 years and then I'd want more power and go for the mountune upgrade.

I manage my own company and I'm doing pretty well for myself so I'm not entirely bothered about the cost of the car/insurance as it all counts on the fun factor. Due to me working from home I hardly get time to myself let alone to go out with friends much anymore. Cost of building a future, I guess. So I'd like to have the car to go out on weekends etc just to have fun and I've been told by several people the handling really is amazing.

I know everyone says the I won't drive it much will go out of the window but I only go out lets say 2 days out of the 7 so the rest of the time it'd be in my garage whilst I work, therefore in theory MPG doesn't really matter as much as it should.

I dont know about everyone else but I seriously prefer the zs 17"s to the ST alloys. If I were in your position id get the ST. You will one day pull up to the lights in your zs and there will be an st next to you. Then you'll think I should have got that.

I dont know about everyone else but I seriously prefer the zs 17"s to the ST alloys.

Couldnt agree more. Really not a fan of the wheels on the ST.

I'm actually not a fan of how STs the seats look either. They are comfy and supportive but I just think they look out of place and a bit too chunky.

Just go for the ST! It's way more Kudo's especially for a 17 year old...

You've said money is no object so why worry about petrol??

Also you speak about the cat 1 alarm being a factor, there's a reason.... It's more likely to be stolen :p but you can get a cat 1 on a couple of hundred quid

I dont know about everyone else but I seriously prefer the zs 17"s to the ST alloys. If I were in your position id get the ST. You will one day pull up to the lights in your zs and there will be an st next to you. Then you'll think I should have got that.

That's exactly what's pushing me towards the ST haha, that and I know in say 2 years I won't have had as much of a loss as I will with a ZS. I also do like the ZS 17" alloys, they're really nice.

You manage your own company at 17?! Fair play etc

How much driving experience have you got? There is a tendency (been there) at that age to take others on and think you are invincible on the roads. You would have the power to blow saxo man away but you will attract bigger fish who will want to blow you away. Will you be able to resist taking them on? Easy to say you will be sensible now but behind the wheel of the ST with that power, you will want to 'win' and that approach with such power and lack of experience could lead to accidents or police involvement or both.

Sorry to come over like I'm judging you but I am just advising caution and I speak from experience of my younger days. Had the odd stupid race and fortunately never had an accident from that or been caught by police but I did have an accident from a tyre blow out which could easily have killed me. Rude awakening indeed.

Here's my review of the ST if you haven't already seen it: http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/46947-my-personal-review-of-the-fiesta-st/

I end up driving like a grandad in my ST when it briefly comes out from it's nice warm garage >_>

Love my ZS, I've got 51.3mpg (so far) no road tax, & insurance is £255 fully comp :) :) :)

I was looking to price up an ST, saw the ZS in the showroom, loved it straight away, and got a load of extras thrown in (leather, 17's etc) and paid basic price.

didnt realise that the ST wasnt keyless entry till i went to get in it ooopppsss!!! it is a great car though, on its first day was doing over 40 mpg on A roads/Motorways, come down now its on a daily short drive (31 now). its hard to resist driving it as it should be driven though, if i was a 17y/o i dont think i would of been able to trust myself in it lol

• Like 1

At your age and disposible income you really shouldn't be worrying about MPG. :) As already mentioned you're talking no more than a few hundred quid a year difference in fuel bills (assuming average milelage) . I say just buy the ST2 and drive it properly.

Also just incase you didn't know (and not many reviews mention it) the ST actually has an overboost function on full throttle which gives upto 197bhp and 214 ft lb of torque. It can't be marketed as that power as it only temporary. A quick lift off the throttle ( ie a gear change) will kick the overboost in again and again.

My average is about 36 mpg atm but my commute involves long stretches of uphill motorway and several traffic jams and I do getting upto speed quickly on motorways slip roads for example.

On country roads over many miles I have seen over 50 mpg sat in 6th gear @ 1500 rpm. It's very easy to maintain 40-60mph on twisty roads in this car and the engine is using minimal boost. All you have to do is squeeze the throttle and it still pulls!

On long motorway runs at 70ish 40 - 45 mpg is easy to achieve assuming it is flat.

Drive it hard and yes the MPG will plummet briefly but you willl be really having to punish it to get it to drop below 30mpg average over a tank. The reason for this is because you will unlikely to be using full boost for long as you will be doing silly speeds VERY quickly.

So, I've forgotten to update you all, I'm sorry!

I bought an ST-2, delivery date is 2nd November :-)

Will keep you all updated, thanks very much for the kind words everyone, means a lot that everyone took interest!

• Like 1

Will keep you all updated, thanks very much for the kind words everyone, means a lot that everyone took interest!

Fantastic news! You will love the car. :)

Fantastic news! You will love the car. :)

I hope so, the people over at FiestaSTOC helped me make my decision also. I'd advise you to register, great forum full of ST lovers!

That's exactly what's pushing me towards the ST haha, that and I know in say 2 years I won't have had as much of a loss as I will with a ZS. I also do like the ZS 17" alloys, they're really nice.

I was considering putting some focus RS replicas on mine but the ZS alloys are nice. Heres a link for anybody interested in the RS replicas (I don't know how to do the link code lol):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/17-FORD-RS-STYLE-ALLOY-WHEELS-AND-TYRES-4-STUD-FIESTA-08-ZETEC-S/190834286959?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D11%26meid%3D885006547585173295%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D1005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D400515357164%26

be sure to post what it looks like if anybody goes down this route, I may even purchase them come payday!

I'm sure you wont regret it