Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Exhaust Opinions

DarrenW94

I have recently fitted an st bodykit onto my focus and I would like like to know peoples opinions and recommendations as to which exhaust system gives the nicest yet loudest noise.

all advice is greatly appreciated

• Like 1

I have recently fitted an st bodykit onto my focus and I would like like to know peoples opinions and recommendations as to which exhaust system gives the nicest yet loudest noise.

all advice is greatly appreciatedu

Hi Darren,

Have you got a diesel or petrol engine?

I've got a 1.6TDCi with a zetecS body kit fitted,

I've fitted a piper 2.5" T304 Duplex with 4" oval tips,

Goes from the flexi to tip purchased from rude racing now known as Zen sport in the uk,

They were 50 pounds cheaper than purchasing from piper directly,

I then took the exhaust to souhan.ie there in trim co.Meath

And can manufacture any exhaust to your requirements including sports cat and various rear silencers,

Said he would have built my duplex with T304 for 50 euro cheaper than piper,

Maybe worth contacting them for a price too.

. IMG_20130521_131211_zps0a2c6aed.jpg

IMG_20130521_131258_zpsffd2a6e3.jpg

IMG_20130521_131851_zpsd69e505c.jpg

IMG_20130521_131934_zpsdeb4d67e.jpg

Image2326.jpg

Image2302.jpg

Image2308.jpg

Image2327.jpg

Image2306_zps15bf0ddc.jpg

Cheers Lenny, i have a 1.6 petrol engine, if you dont mind me asking how much did yours cost?

Btw your focus is looking really well

• Like 1

remember under new rules if the exhaust is considered too loud over standard its a fail now

"It is likely that many of these 'big bore' exhaust systems don't meet
the requirements of Regulation 54(2) of the Road Vehicles (Construction
and Use) Regualtion 1986 as amended: 'Every exhaust system and silencer
shall be maintained in good and efficient working order and shall not be
altered to increase the noise made by the escape of exhaust gases.

Clearly the fitting if aftermarket exhaust systems is becoming an issue.

The Method of Inspection is to 'assess subjectively the
effectiveness of the silencer in reducing exhaust noise to a level
considered to be average for the vehicle'. This is open to some
interpretation and we quickly realised that the Method of Inspection
gave no indication of what engine speed should be achieved before the
noise of the exhaust is assessed.

To remedy this vosa, have added a note to the Method of Inspection which
now requires testers to assess the level of exhaust noise at all engine
speeds required for the exhaust emissions check. they also made a
slight amendment to the RfR, which now makes it clear that the
comparison is with a similar vehicle with a standard silencer in average condition

• Like 1

Cheers Lenny, i have a 1.6 petrol engine, if you dont mind me asking how much did yours cost?

Btw your focus is looking really well

Thanks very much,

It cost 450 pounds from zen sport,

Piper also created a ST replica kit and they call it that too,

So I'm sure it would sound much the same as the st or as close to it. T304 aswell so its the last time you will ever fit an exhaust air craft grade stainless steel,

Delivery via DPD was 50 pounds but would be cheaper for you,

It fits directly on to the standard ST exhaust hangers which cost under 30 pounds from ford for both brackets and hangers,

You only need one rubber hanger though,

As you already have one

I didn't know this at the time and bought two but there around 6 pounds,

I favoured piper because they use a wind tunnel to perfect the flow of the exhaust,

This is very important when creating a duplex system not only in terms of free flow exit of fumes,

Because on a frosty morning when steam is exiting your exhaust,

You get equal puffs of steam from both sides,

This only happens when the split has been perfected and further ensures you look like a replica,

Small things make a big difference.

I think piper also manufacture a manifold for your engine in formation 4-2-1

Would give you around 15bhp increase aswell as smooth acceleration response,

Fitted with a 200 cell sports cat would pass all emissions tests aswell as be the dogs swingers

Varex rear muffler would be the ideal job to get around the new rules,

Its a remote control rear muffler than can be fitted mid pipe like the focus duplex is

Or with a tip on the end straight to exit,

It has a butterfly valve fitted inside operated via remote,

Valve closed its as whisper quiet like a herse,

Valve open and its a raspy straight through exhaust,

Check it out y'all

Alright Darren, you got any pics of your car to put up? I ain't been on here much lately but just noticed your posts and good to see another member from this side of the pond! I be up round Armagh a good bit so could keep an eye out for you.

Ye didn't hang about kitting the car did ye?! Where'd you get the kit? I noticed there was one on DoneDeal in Fermanagh I think recently, bumpers, skirts, spoiler, wings etc.

Reason I'm interested is cos I've done the same thing to my 2.0 TDCi...took me about a year mind you to gather up the parts, haha! My exhaust doesn't sound much different when driving normally, at least to me from inside the cabin anyway, but it does give a nice note with the foot down. Suits me perfectly as I do a good bit of motorway cruising. I was mainly after looks to fill the ST bumper cut-outs so my mechanic knocked it up himself so they both reek and I supplied tips I ordered off eBay.

post-30295-0-88657100-1378727761_thumb.j

Check out my build thread sure if you wanna see more pics, looking forward to seeing yours!

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/43710-jean-genie-focus-stdci/

PS That system of Lenny's is as good as it gets I think. If you've checked out his guides and build threads you'll see he's a bit of a perfectionist, so doesn't really settle for second best on his Focus!

• Like 1

well Gary, focus looks mint!

no pics as such yet of the car but there will be whenever I get things done on it, im new to the whole modifying car thing, that's why I've been posting so much, first car and don't wanna balls it up lol, I haven't ordered an st rear bumper yet because I wasn't too sure how the exhaust system would change.

But basically the plan for the car is to black it out (stealth look), getting the windows and rear lights tinted soon, doing all the small bits first then, fit the bumpers, wheels and exhaust

• Like 1

remember under new rules if the exhaust is considered too loud over standard its a fail now

"It is likely that many of these 'big bore' exhaust systems don't meet

the requirements of Regulation 54(2) of the Road Vehicles (Construction

and Use) Regualtion 1986 as amended: 'Every exhaust system and silencer

shall be maintained in good and efficient working order and shall not be

altered to increase the noise made by the escape of exhaust gases.

Clearly the fitting if aftermarket exhaust systems is becoming an issue.

The Method of Inspection is to 'assess subjectively the

effectiveness of the silencer in reducing exhaust noise to a level

considered to be average for the vehicle'. This is open to some

interpretation and we quickly realised that the Method of Inspection

gave no indication of what engine speed should be achieved before the

noise of the exhaust is assessed.

To remedy this vosa, have added a note to the Method of Inspection which

now requires testers to assess the level of exhaust noise at all engine

speeds required for the exhaust emissions check. they also made a

slight amendment to the RfR, which now makes it clear that the

comparison is with a similar vehicle with a standard silencer in average condition

I have a decat, back box delete and straight- through silencer (basically a straight- though but silenced 2-1/4" system) - its gone through 2 MOTs now like this but i wonder how my next one will go?

The MOT is getting ridiculus - its supposed to be about safety but its more about red tape and BS

• Like 1

Not really im unfortunate to have a saxo next door with an exhaust so loud its heard throughout the house at 2 in the morning waking up kids so i agree with it i have no issue with just a nice little roar subtle but better than standard but some are way over the top and a !Removed! nuisance to all of us 5inch exhausts on 1.0 corsas and saxos get on everyones nerves complaints mean if the cops hear youre exhaust they know its way too loud they know its not road legal so youre busted

These are eu regs which are only going to get stricter and tougher blame the numpty boy racers its due to those idiots that these rules are now in force hid kits that blind you on the road dodgy race seats illegal mods over loud exhausts decats without telling the insurance dodgy blue bulbs ive even seen purple head light bulbs on the road eyelashes hanging off headlights etc about time i say its long overdue i for one am sick of watching tv in bed at the rear of the house hearing cars roaring past and vibrating the floors

• Like 1

well Gary, focus looks mint!

no pics as such yet of the car but there will be whenever I get things done on it, im new to the whole modifying car thing, that's why I've been posting so much, first car and don't wanna balls it up lol, I haven't ordered an st rear bumper yet because I wasn't too sure how the exhaust system would change.

But basically the plan for the car is to black it out (stealth look), getting the windows and rear lights tinted soon, doing all the small bits first then, fit the bumpers, wheels and exhaust

Cheers lad...lot of time in effort gone into getting it from how it was when I got to it to how it is now.

No bother on the pics, thought you'd already the whole kit fitted ya see. Here's a link to the one in Fermanagh I was on about...you don't need the wings so could maybe knock off a few quid for that, and I'm not sure if the 3 dr skirts are any good to you, but might be something of use to you. http://cars.donedeal.ie/carparts-for-sale/ford-focus-st-bumpers-skirts-kit05-06-07/5597871

Handy part is it includes all grilles, fog lights etc that you'll need. Also, I'm guessin your car's black if you're going for stealth look, so maybe you'd be better off getting parts already in black to save on respray costs. ST never came in my colour so I was always gonna have to have parts sprayed.

Lookin forward to seein your progress anyway lad! Loads of modifications tips and guides on here (just see Lenny's signature!) and different ways of emptying your funds, so enjoy the process and keep asking on anythin you're not sure of, I'm sure someone on here will never be too far away to help out.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club