Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cambelt 32K Miles

aldablue

Hi all, just bought a 2001 1.6 focus, it's only done 32k miles (genuine). Would it be sensible to have the cambelt changed? I've not drove it yet only to get it home. Or will it be ok for the time being due to low miles?

thanks Bowsa, even though it over 10 years old it should still be ok for another 30k?

Have you got the service manual? Some cars specify 7 yrs/50k, although I believe Ford specified 10 yrs/100k for the Focus.

If it has never been done in 12 years I would get done ASAP. Even though it has not done the mileage the belt itself will deteriorate from age.

Have you got the service manual? Some cars specify 7 yrs/50k, although I believe Ford specified 10 yrs/100k for the Focus.

If it has never been done in 12 years I would get done ASAP. Even though it has not done the mileage the belt itself will deteriorate from age.

aahh I see your point now, on the age basis I probably would get it done. though mine ATM is looking to be 11 years old with 130k on the clock. (recently bought the car, and getting it done over the next day or so).

My thinking is a belt is cheaper than an engine ;)

Consider that changing the cambelt will only cost you a couple of hundred pounds, whereas if it fails the repair bill can easily be four figures. So if in any doubt whatsoever, it'll be cheaper to replace the cambelt four or five times compared to one breakage. If you even consider posting on a forum to ask if you should change it, I'd just get it changed.

Better safe than sorry! :).

• Like 1

Agree with Minnis on this one, your better off spending the cash. If you like the car, look after it. No doubt, that belt could be good for another couple of years, or 20k miles, but its really not worth risking it. You have to remember that mileage is not the only thing that deteriorates your car and belts etc. Temperature means that it expands and contracts, can crack and fade, loosing strength, just because its there.