Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus 1.8Tdci Hose Replacement / Egr Cleaning

021C

Hi,

I recently started to hear a whoosh when hitting 2K. With no loss of performance I suspected a tear in the right angled hose leading to the turbo from the intercooler.

On my first inspection all looked OK. However, after looking closer I could see a concentrated amount of oil / general crap towards the rear of the turbo. I reached back and found a large tear / crack in the pipe just before the jubilee clip.

I'm going to replace it with a silicone version, but while I'm at it I though it wise to ask for any basic cleaing tips while the hose is off, or any general hints and tips?

I'm pretty hands on and can see what needs to be done. While I'm at it I may also clean and blank the EGR - any tips for cleaning? Full removal?

Thanks in advance.

Stu

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Stu,

Is the metal pipe damaged, or is it just the rubber hose?To be

honest, where you are there isnt much to clean as far as I know, but if your taking things apart, it wont harm to pull the EGR valve off and give it a spit polish!

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I tackled the pipe / elbow replacement and EGR blanking this past weekend and all went well.... Well apart from a dropped spanner.

Thankfully I had my bro to assist and we managed to recover it without having to remove the under tray.

Gave the EGR valve a clean with Wynns EGR3, which I know attracts positive and negative opinions. In my experience it worked well, although not much crap came out, probably because I regularly boot it :)

The EGR blank has been well worth it and the car is running sweetly :)

I would recommend it wholeheartedly

Stu

• Like 1

I agree it was a nightmare to install but benefits are great, I really need to do a 0-60 and see the benefits of it...

:) exactly what I fitted.

Needed to trim it a little to get a perfect fit. But good quality and snug fit.

Stu

it was bl00dy hard work to get mine on, cut knuckles and all that. worse thing was i put it on and then realised that i forgot to add the clips so off for a 2nd time and then it wouldnt go on and finally my old man got it on..after lots of swearing!!!

ha ha .... I didnt get on much better.

One dropped 8mm sapnner, sliced the end of my finger opened and got the elbow on only to discover it was slightly too long (hence the trimming). Good to know its a tight fit though!

My brother was helping me - imagine to two giants (i'm 6'7 and 18 stone / he's 6'4" and 18 stone) wrestling with a silicone elbow and the metal straight :)

Just a full set of discs and a bleed to complete now ;)

Stu

ha ha, me and my dad are 2 midgets at 5'2 and when we have to work at the back of the engine our feet are normally off the floor and knees on the slam panel!

I'm the other way round.

Hands are too big, bang my head on the bonnet and when it comes to cleaning the wheels I've bought one of those little steps to sit on as it plays he'll with my knees.

It's all good fun :)

Hi,

I recently started to hear a whoosh when hitting 2K. With no loss of performance I suspected a tear in the right angled hose leading to the turbo from the intercooler.

On my first inspection all looked OK. However, after looking closer I could see a concentrated amount of oil / general crap towards the rear of the turbo. I reached back and found a large tear / crack in the pipe just before the jubilee clip.

I'm going to replace it with a silicone version, but while I'm at it I though it wise to ask for any basic cleaing tips while the hose is off, or any general hints and tips?

I'm pretty hands on and can see what needs to be done. While I'm at it I may also clean and blank the EGR - any tips for cleaning? Full removal?

Thanks in advance.

Stu

The EGR system deposits carbon/ muck all over the insides of the inlet manifold, and inlet ports and valves (basically from the EGR valve all the way to the combustion chamber) the breather also deposits oily residue into the intake (usually before the turbine) - this sticks to and mixes with the carbon on the inlet manifold forming an oily goo - eventually choking the inlet and/ or bits of muck falling off and being ingested by the engine

My view is EGR cleaner is a quick fix at best - if it actually worked to remove all the carbon the engine would injest it all at once - with potential disasterous results - to clean the inlet manifold propery - you need to take the inlet manifold completely off the car and jet wash it or the like - once it has been properly cleaned the carbon should not build up again once a solid EGR blanking plate is in place

As far as i am aware no-one has fitted twin EGR plates or done an EGR pipe or total delete on a Focus TDCI 1.6 on the forum yet - ive done this with my 2.0L Mondeo (and other cars) and can confirm it improves the pick-up from low revs, throttle response and reduces turbo lag a little bit more than just a single solid EGR blanking plate

Have you had any EML after fitting the blank?

Ive got the same engine an want to do it but worried about an error coming up

Have you had any EML after fitting the blank?

Ive got the same engine an want to do it but worried about an error coming up

Not a thing. I know from my own research that others have fitted the blanking plate to the 1.8 TDCi and it's been fine. If any errors are thrown up they can be cleared, but so far all positive.

Throttle response is better, boost and overall power through all gears increased - simply a nicer, more enjoyable driving experience. I was always aprehensive pulling away from lights as the car could / would labour in certain weather conditions, cold starts, low fuel level - no longer.

Do it... worse that could happen is you may decide to remove.

Stu

No eml for me, I just have new problems lol

I'm just really worried cause I have a history of things getting worse after I've played with it haha. Might just risk it, the lag when pulling away can be tremendous sometimes.

When you fitted the pipe what position did you put the jubilee clip in only asking as I recently did mine and noticed when I had the bonnet up a day or two later that it had started to chafe the underside of the expansion bottle so had to turn it downwards a bit for all those that have fitted new pipes might be worth a look .save expense in the future especially if it was to were a hole in the bottle on a long journey that could result in lose of coolant and possible head gasket failure

Not scaremongering but something that you think you have fitted correctly (me included) could result in cost .try an post a pic of what it did to mine.