Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My Average Tank Lasts 420-440 Miles (2013 1.6 Tdci Focus Titanium X

james_60

Hi Folks

My current car :-

2013 Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI titanium x only gives on average 420-440 miles per tank

I have complained to my ford dealership about this and they say its normal for this car??

Is it normal, it has done 7200 miles so far

Has had numerous niggles which is why it had to go back to the dealer

I thought i had chosen an economical car

Plz help

Jamie

1. What fuel

What journeys (distance, type of roads, traffic)

How do you drive it?

Auto or manual?

so your getting about 44 mpg? (unsure on size of the tank.....) engine needs running in.... round town driving?? tbh the only way u benifit from a derv is on a run..... most petrol engine these days can do just as good round town.....

Economical based on figures that tell you do not represent actual mpg this economy bull is just a way to make money over high fuel prices and people fall for it as above it all depends on how you drive/ where/ flat roads or hills traffic lights how long you sit in traffic what electrics you use outside air temp

Diesels only work if you're doing motorway miles or longish journeys if youre doing 30mph town driving tgen you would get better mpg from a petrol ford arent interested as its the mpg of the car in a lab the car can achieve what they qoute misleading perhaps but it does explain how they get those figures meaning if the customer doesnt read it then tough youre tank sounds the same to my neighbours to be honest same engine different spec but she never goes near a motorway you get the same to a tank as my 1.6 petrol thats town and b roads short trips with hills

Hi

1. What fuel Bp ultimate Diesel or Shell V power nitro + diesel
  2. What journeys (100+ miles, Motorway-A-B roads, moderate-quiete (0ff peak travel)
  3. How do you drive it? (Carefully i dont stamp on the accelerator and i change gear when the arrow appears
  4. Auto or manual? 6 speed manual

Tank Size is 53Litres apparently, Apparently modern engines dont need running in i asked a senior technician rofl

Jamie

By running in they mean it doesn't need taking easy for a bit before you really push it. (Although I'd still play the first 1k safe at least).

You will see MPG improve as the engine wears in a bit, especially the first 10k.

If you are not doing short journeys or town driving I can't see why your mpg is that low. I could easily match that with my 2.0 on town driving if I drove it economically.

I'm getting 42-43 with lots of short journeys and the odd long journey. And I'm not driving economically at all.

ultimate/nitro+ obv you dont get as much juice as say Shell normal diesel, as nito is like 11p a litre more, and bp ultimate is roughly the same, mayb a little higher over bp standard fuel...

AND because they have more additives (which is good) they also have a higher ron which means it burns faster than standard derv....

like stated if ur manual says combined of say 55 mpg ( i dont know) then your prob looking more at mid 40's

Hey thanks for the replies

So what do i do,

Stop using super diesel ?

Jamie

The high performance diesels are probably a waste on the 1.6. I don't even use them on my 2.0.

As long as you stick to good quality standard fuels you should be fine. I only ever use the big brands Shell, Esso, BP and Texaco.

I still think it seems a bit low though. Have you been working it out for yourself or relying on the trip computer?

Hi

420-440 miles in nearly 11 gallons equates to 38.8 mpg so why should i accept that artscot79

working it out for myself.

The service department says the car is fine and the economy is fine

Jamie

I'd go back to the garage and ask why I in a Mk3 Focus 2.0 TDCi 163PS can get the same mpg not driving economically doing 2 mile short trips all week.

You haven't got A/C on all the time or something that could be ruining economy?

Hi,see here http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/ford/focus-2011/16-tdci-115ps-start-stop for what other owners are getting. Really you are just burning money in buying anything other than standard diesel. There are no scientific proven benefits with 'ultimate' fuels over buying supermarket...

Much higher cetane rating which means the fuel ignites easier. When a fuel is essentially more flamible it burns more completely. As oppossed to a supermarket fuel which has no/low amounts of cetane booster (2-EthylHexylNitrate) which has a lower cetane rating, UK spec 51.

When our diesel cars re-circulate exhaust gasses, NOX, this burns cooler in the combustion chamber and the fuel burn's incompletely, forming carbon, soot.

A higher cetane fuel like Shell fuelsave or bp ultimate has a centane of around 56/57. More fuel is therefore ignited at any air/nox mix and leaves less soot.

I'm sure you are aware, carbon in the internals will eventually lead to component failure, the first stop, DPF.

Source: http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=89013#m1003395

"normal" driving a mix of stop start 30 mph 40 mph 50 mph 60 mph roads and a number of hills as in daily commute average mpg is 56.7

At 70 mph "satnav speed" on motorway M62 Leeds to Manchester and back average mpg 58.5

Can get it up to 60+ mpg if taking it easy.

Short runs local shopping etc drops to 54/55 ( get this if using air con etc )

These are real world not screen mpg

Focus 1.6 tdci titanium x on a 62 plate now on 21000 miles

Blank your egr and fit a performance induction filter both will he'll your mpg mate,

I'm surprised at the figures, even if you drove it link you stole it I'd have expected more

Much higher cetane rating which means the fuel ignites easier. When a fuel is essentially more flamible it burns more completely. As oppossed to a supermarket fuel which has no/low amounts of cetane booster (2-EthylHexylNitrate) which has a lower cetane rating, UK spec 51.

When our diesel cars re-circulate exhaust gasses, NOX, this burns cooler in the combustion chamber and the fuel burn's incompletely, forming carbon, soot.

A higher cetane fuel like Shell fuelsave or bp ultimate has a centane of around 56/57. More fuel is therefore ignited at any air/nox mix and leaves less soot.

I'm sure you are aware, carbon in the internals will eventually lead to component failure, the first stop, DPF.

Source: http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=89013#m1003395

Linking to another unscientific forum isn't evidence of anything other than conjecture. What we need is proper objective and scientific proof and there isn't anything that has ever convinced me that, if it is the case, I am not sure that this very small amount of 'increased' soot would cause any harm that the engineers haven't designed the engine to deal with...

The only thing I can understand about nitro plus is that the higher the cetain the faster it burns so you get a better combustion and smoother acelleration and it has more additives than say Sainsbury low sulphur diesel which is bad for the engines.....

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club