Do Not Sell My Personal Information

More Power 1.8 Tdci

martyntdci

what is the limitations on these engines/internals etc? lynx duratorq euro 4 1.8 tdci... im getting bored now with its power, and id like a little more throw back in the seat...

it has, egr blanked, cat back s/s (may go de-cat) air intake... uprated front mount.... and a re-map. the bloke who mapped it for me estimated this at approx 155 bhp and 330nm ish of torque... now im quite used to this and it feels slow..... any advice please.....

• Like 1

You need to know what the gearbox limitations are more than the engine more power means a better tougher clutch each box has its limits on torque too much youll wreck the gearbox just remember new laws and mot rules make the cat back illegal and is testable now

• Like 2

Additionally I hope you've declared all these performance modifications to your insurance company otherwise you'll effectively be driving uninsured.

• Like 1

Hybrid turbo and bigger injectors will bring more power and you could get up to 200bhp out of the 1.6tdci 110, probably more out of the 1.8tdci. But it's simply not economical as, upgraded clutch, brakes and maybe gearbox will be needed and for the cost you may aswell sell it and buy the 2.0 tdci focus then remap to 170. Or buy a 170 2.0 diesel.

155 is dam good and can't see why you would need more, traction would become an issue surely. Mine at 110 or 120 as they supposedly run at is quite nippy and surprises me at times, when I remap soon to about 155 with dpf removal I can see it flying!

• Like 1

It is nippy of the mark, you have change gears quite quick....when u hit 3rd it takes longer to change/speed build up escpeciall in forth...but used to the impreza used to have.... we opted for this focus because it's !Removed! beautiful and not many are fully equipped like ours as standard.... and it's a derv.... our scoob used do like 17-20 at best mpg.... focus does like 44 round town.

Cone back from bognor Regis last week approx 240m and was s constant 67 to the gallon.... carnt !Removed! fault it.....

It is nippy of the mark, you have change gears quite quick....when u hit 3rd it takes longer to change/speed build up escpeciall in forth...but used to the impreza used to have.... we opted for this focus because it's !Removed! beautiful and not many are fully equipped like ours as standard.... and it's a derv.... our scoob used do like 17-20 at best mpg.... focus does like 44 round town.

Cone back from bognor Regis last week approx 240m and was s constant 67 to the gallon.... carnt !Removed! fault it.....

Exactly

You have probably already reached the "economic" limit for the engine - you could get more power out of it - but you would have to spend a lot more money in proportion to that additional power

Whatever you drive you will get accustomed to the power - but the speed limit has always been the same and has not changed - 150HP is probably all you need for legal speeds anyway

People have very different ideas of what "quick" is

You could always just leave it 'till you wear something out/ something breaks (eg the DMF or turbo) and replace it with upgraded components (eg an SMF/uprated clutch or hybrid turbo) - other than that its probably not worth the expense for the realatively small gains you would get for the outlay

The 2.0L Focus TDCI can produce 170+hp from a remap alone, this would cost "penniys" compared to what you would need to spend on the 1.8 to get that sort of power, - the 1.8 is a tough old engine though, compared to the PSA ones

The gears on a diesel are closely spaced at low speeds/ lower gears and wide apart at higher speeds/ higher gears - this is the opposite of a petrol car and has to do with the (width of the) power band and the torque characteristricts

The gearbox acts as a torque multiplyer in the lower gears, and as you go faster the load increases -so the tractive effort is higher at lower speeds in lower gears the drag increases exponentially and is a square law - so there is 4 TIMES the aerodynamic drag at 120 as there is at 60, - its not just your Focus that is like that - even a 1200HP Veyron acts in the same way (but at higher speeds!) - if you plot an acceleration vs time chart, it starts off steep (amost vertical, then as the car goes faster and changes up, it levels off untill the plot line goes horizontal (stops accelerating) )

so as the speed rises the acceleration slows (on any car, apart from very high power & low geared rally/ and some race cars)

There are still some things you can do without braking the bank, though

best bet is to drive a 60bhp polo around for a week (like me) and then get back in your focus and notice the power !

• Like 5

best bet is to drive a 60bhp polo around for a week (like me) and then get back in your focus and notice the power !

Track2.jpg
  • Like 1

i really wanted one of them when i was younger! handbrakes turns oh yeah!!!

• Like 1

Lenny =-O had 1 when was younger... was to bone to pedal so I was always pushed lol

NOS kit would probs do it but car will probably last one run haha

I was thinking a bigger turbo and injectors and getting them coded to the car.... I'm not getting shot of the anytime soon also thought of stripping all the air con out as this has some weight in it... somat tells me should have gone for the 2.0l....

• Like 2

Bigger intercooler should be easy enough to do, uprated clutch will also make better use of the power and torque. Engine swap for a 2.0L is always on the table.

My 1.6 TDCI easily keeps up with an A4 2.0L all the way to 120mph so your power should be good., although i find the gearbox super slow. What i would suggest though is before you spend anymore money on power gains first spend some money on working out the car real power, get some power runs on a rolling road, some places will do power runs for under £40, this is a good start, maybe you aren't at 155bhp as expected

• Like 1

Bigger intercooler should be easy enough to do, uprated clutch will also make better use of the power and torque. Engine swap for a 2.0L is always on the table.

My 1.6 TDCI easily keeps up with an A4 2.0L all the way to 120mph so your power should be good., although i find the gearbox super slow. What i would suggest though is before you spend anymore money on power gains first spend some money on working out the car real power, get some power runs on a rolling road, some places will do power runs for under £40, this is a good start, maybe you aren't at 155bhp as expected

Is your 1.6 tdci remapped at all? keeping up with a 2.0l diesel audi is impressive, especially as the 2.0l comes in 140 minimum i thought. Take it it wasn't the 170 model!?

When you say the gearbox is super slow what do you mean by this? Can you not buy short shift kits?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club