26 replies to this topic

#1 Timbo

Timbo

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Ford Model: Mondeo LX 1.8
Posted 15 September 2013 - 07:34 AM

Hi all, I've just bought a lovely 2004 Mondeo from a Ford Dealer. I used the heated front screen for the first time yesterday, but it doesn't seem to be working at all.

The switch lights and the engine revs drop, but nothing happens at the screen. There aren't any chips in the screen, so I'm at a loss as to why it doesn't work!

I tried phoning Fords to see whether the warranty would cover it, but they're not there.

Thanks in advance

Tim

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 stooge75

stooge75

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • Ford Model: Mondeo tdci zetec

Posted 15 September 2013 - 04:08 PM

theres 2 fuses under the bonnet.1 for left & 1 for right side of the screen.check them. also the spades have maybe came undone & theyre at sides of window under the rubber strip. also check with a 12v bulb/multimeter at the little connector boxes just under bonnet at lower corners of screen(might be under trim for windscreen at bottom)cant remember name for it lol.see if they're both getting power. I had this problem & last month found that the electrical line that runs along bottom of windscreen was broken,so new windscreen time(& theyre not cheap).

There's possibly a relay also but again,i cant remember if,& where.

#3 Timbo

Timbo

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Posted 15 September 2013 - 04:35 PM

Hi Stooge, thanks for the detailed reply! The fuses seem ok and I assumed that the screen must be taking power, as the revs drop?

Not sure about the relay, would the revs still drop if it was faulty? I may just ask Ford to have a look, as I've only had the car for a week. I'll have a look at the things you've mentioned first though.

Cheers

Tim

#4 stooge75

stooge75

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:39 PM

My revs also dropped a bit even though screen wasnt heating so cant really answer that one. It confused me at the time also. If you got it from ford dealer,they should be able to at least pin the problem down. If theyre not going to repair it etc,have you got windscreen cover? (excess?). Maybe time you claimed lol. They font hold windscreen claim against premiums normally but have heard that a few companies have started to weed out some claims

#5 Timbo

Timbo

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:49 PM

Hi, just to let you know that Ford are going to look at the car for me. Thanks for taking the time to reply!

Cheers

Tim

#6 BigD

BigD

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • Name: -
  • Ford Model: -
  • Year: Non

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:43 PM

I hope you have better luck than I did.

Mine didn't work either (I found out two weeks after I bought the car), and I took it back to Evans Halshaw.  They had a look and told me that the wiring was corroded at the bottom of the windscreen and it was a common fault.  So I'm like "yeah.... and?  Did you fix it?".  They told me to go through my insurance to get it replaced.

I pointed out that the insurance only covered the windscreen structure, and not the wiring, and as the windscreen wasn't damaged it was a no-go.  I was quite taken aback when they promptly told me to chuck a brick through it, then go through the insurance.

They changed the windscreen once I demanded my four grand back, given that the car was faulty when they sold it.

#7 Timbo

Timbo

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:47 PM

That's pretty poor service! I hope that my Dealer will be better, but I'm not counting on it!

Cheers

Tim

#8 stooge75

stooge75

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:53 PM

ya could say now that its prudent to take out windscreen cover,even as an excess on 3rd party f&t.£60?? Its a no-brainer innit

#9 Timbo

Timbo

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:19 PM

I guess you're right! Cheaper than a screen!

Cheers

Tim

#10 BigD

BigD

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • Name: -
  • Ford Model: -
  • Year: Non

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:48 PM

Just be careful they don't fob you off with a crappy aftermarket screen.  That's what I ended up with and it failed again within twelve months.  On my third one now in less than two years.

#11 stooge75

stooge75

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:58 PM

aftermarket screen? they should only be fitting pilkington screens.anything else isn't wise

My last car I fitted a cheaper screen than pilkington & it was as soft as s***. the tiniest chip hitting it left a little mushroomed crater,even at slow speeds 

#12 Timbo

Timbo

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:17 PM

So, was it a main dealer that fitted the cheap screen? I can't understand that. Or was it just a used car dealer?

Cheers

Tim

#13 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 17,328 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 20 September 2013 - 03:23 PM

Unless your screen is steamed / fogged up on the inside, you wont notice that your heated screen is working or not. It doesn't give out a detectable heat by skin contact, and doesn't show any signs other than the light on the button that it is switched on.

#14 Timbo

Timbo

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Posted 20 September 2013 - 03:40 PM

Hi, thanks. Yes, I understand how the screen works. This is my third Mondeo. On my previous two cars, even when the screens started to break down, the rest of the screen still cleared rapidly.

My screen looks brand new, but apart from a feint line in the middle when you switch it on, nothing happens!

Cheers

Tim

#15 stooge75

stooge75

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:00 PM

Im wi jeebo on this one. If youre seeing any faint line down middle it most likely IS working somewhat. Only way you'll know is when its frosty etc.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users