Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Heated Front Screen Problem. Help!

Timbo

Hi all, I've just bought a lovely 2004 Mondeo from a Ford Dealer. I used the heated front screen for the first time yesterday, but it doesn't seem to be working at all.

The switch lights and the engine revs drop, but nothing happens at the screen. There aren't any chips in the screen, so I'm at a loss as to why it doesn't work!

I tried phoning Fords to see whether the warranty would cover it, but they're not there.

Thanks in advance

Tim

theres 2 fuses under the bonnet.1 for left & 1 for right side of the screen.check them. also the spades have maybe came undone & theyre at sides of window under the rubber strip. also check with a 12v bulb/multimeter at the little connector boxes just under bonnet at lower corners of screen(might be under trim for windscreen at bottom)cant remember name for it lol.see if they're both getting power. I had this problem & last month found that the electrical line that runs along bottom of windscreen was broken,so new windscreen time(& theyre not cheap).

There's possibly a relay also but again,i cant remember if,& where.

• Like 1

Hi Stooge, thanks for the detailed reply! The fuses seem ok and I assumed that the screen must be taking power, as the revs drop?

Not sure about the relay, would the revs still drop if it was faulty? I may just ask Ford to have a look, as I've only had the car for a week. I'll have a look at the things you've mentioned first though.

Cheers

Tim

My revs also dropped a bit even though screen wasnt heating so cant really answer that one. It confused me at the time also. If you got it from ford dealer,they should be able to at least pin the problem down. If theyre not going to repair it etc,have you got windscreen cover? (excess?). Maybe time you claimed lol. They font hold windscreen claim against premiums normally but have heard that a few companies have started to weed out some claims

• Like 1

Hi, just to let you know that Ford are going to look at the car for me. Thanks for taking the time to reply!

Cheers

Tim

I hope you have better luck than I did.

Mine didn't work either (I found out two weeks after I bought the car), and I took it back to Evans Halshaw. They had a look and told me that the wiring was corroded at the bottom of the windscreen and it was a common fault. So I'm like "yeah.... and? Did you fix it?". They told me to go through my insurance to get it replaced.

I pointed out that the insurance only covered the windscreen structure, and not the wiring, and as the windscreen wasn't damaged it was a no-go. I was quite taken aback when they promptly told me to chuck a brick through it, then go through the insurance.

They changed the windscreen once I demanded my four grand back, given that the car was faulty when they sold it.

• Like 1

ya could say now that its prudent to take out windscreen cover,even as an excess on 3rd party f&t.£60?? Its a no-brainer innit

Just be careful they don't fob you off with a crappy aftermarket screen. That's what I ended up with and it failed again within twelve months. On my third one now in less than two years.

aftermarket screen? they should only be fitting pilkington screens.anything else isn't wise

My last car I fitted a cheaper screen than pilkington & it was as soft as s***. the tiniest chip hitting it left a little mushroomed crater,even at slow speeds

So, was it a main dealer that fitted the cheap screen? I can't understand that. Or was it just a used car dealer?

Cheers

Tim

Unless your screen is steamed / fogged up on the inside, you wont notice that your heated screen is working or not. It doesn't give out a detectable heat by skin contact, and doesn't show any signs other than the light on the button that it is switched on.

Hi, thanks. Yes, I understand how the screen works. This is my third Mondeo. On my previous two cars, even when the screens started to break down, the rest of the screen still cleared rapidly.

My screen looks brand new, but apart from a feint line in the middle when you switch it on, nothing happens!

Cheers

Tim

Im wi jeebo on this one. If youre seeing any faint line down middle it most likely IS working somewhat. Only way you'll know is when its frosty etc.

Hi, I was referring to when it's misted on the inside. Sorry if I didn't make that clear. As I said, I've owned Mondeos for many years and I think that the heated front screen is one of the best things ever put on a car.

Cheers

Tim

• 6 months later...

Hi, help need been reading the chat about heated front screens not working, I turn on the heated screen last week & found that only the driver side worked, over weekend I changed over the 40 amp fuse from the driver side to the passenger side, this morning went to use the screen & guess what, still the passenger side not working so I know it's not the fuse, does anybody know are there any relays as we'll for the heated front screen, could this be the problem, had same problem with my old focus 1999, but that was the driver side that didn't work, I know about the copper strip under the wiper arm, but it seems to be in good order, any ideas please,

Ps my new focus is a 58 plate CC3

• 2 weeks later...

Its more than likely a bad connection from the heated windscreen attachment to the windscreen itself...

Hi James, thanks for your reply, checked the base of the passenger side of the screen today and found that the copper connection has broken away at the bottom of the screen, so it looks like I will need a new screen, unless there is another way to reconnect the copper strip to the screen, Brian

Should be able to resolder the ribbon and connector, I remember auto windscreens doing this on my old Focus...

Best thing to do is use a butane solder iron with no tip and apply solder to the ribbon directly melted by the tip of the flame.

Worst case scenario it's dead, but it would be a terrible shame if a yob launched a rock at your window? Only then a replacement window would cost you around 80... Shame really?

Sent from my MY SAGA C2 using Ford OC mobile app

Was the after market screen fitted by the dealer or mobile multi-national fitter who do cheesey adverts?

Sent from my HTC One X using Ford OC mobile app

This is not an after market screen as it shows the ford mark in the bottom right hand corner when you look out from the drivers seat, so I think it must be an original screen, I don't know if there is enough of the connection on the bottom of the screen to reconnect the copper strip I was only able to feel pull the copper strip & found that it was broken off the base of the screen & I felt very little else when I put my hand under the edge of the base of the screen, on the end of the copper strip there is a very small yellow band about 1.5 mm wide which pulls the strip tighter together

Since looking at screen over the weekend, I contacted the dealer I purchased the car from at the end of January & there are going to look at it next week to see if may be as they say the damage was done before the car sold to me, to me t looks like the end of the copper strip has a bit of corrosion on it & has been there for a while, I will take pictures before the car goes in to them just so I have a bit of evidence (just in case) thanks for all your comments, Brian

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, update about passenger side of heated windscreen not working, car went back to dealer yesterday, they came back this morning & told me that the copper strip had broken off from the bottom of the screen, so it would need a new screen, as it's still under dealers warranty they are going to replace the screen with a new one even thought mine has auto wiper function at a cost to them by national windscreens , have been told it will be replaced with a new screen from Pilkington so will see when I collect the car tomorrow morning. Will let you know, Brian

Hi, screen replaced with Pilkington auto wiper, heated & tinted screen at a cost of £390.00, all I had to pay was £15.00 insurance & £10.50 for diesel for the loan car, very nice I think, brian