26 replies to this topic

#16 Timbo

Timbo

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Ford Model: Mondeo LX 1.8
Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:15 PM

Hi, I was referring to when it's misted on the inside. Sorry if I didn't make that clear. As I said, I've owned Mondeos for many years and I think that the heated front screen is one of the best things ever put on a car.

Cheers

Tim

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 Brijohng56

Brijohng56

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Name: Brian
  • Ford Model: Focus convertible 58 plate
  • Year: 2008

Posted 09 April 2014 - 07:54 PM

Hi, help need been reading the chat about heated front screens not working, I turn on the heated screen last week & found that only the driver side worked, over weekend I changed over the 40 amp fuse from the driver side to the passenger side, this morning went to use the screen & guess what, still the passenger side not working so I know it's not the fuse, does anybody know are there any relays as we'll for the heated front screen, could this be the problem, had same problem with my old focus 1999, but that was the driver side that didn't work, I know about the copper strip under the wiper arm, but it seems to be in good order, any ideas please,
Ps my new focus is a 58 plate CC3

#18 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 15,311 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:17 PM

Its more than likely a bad connection from the heated windscreen attachment to the windscreen itself...

#19 Brijohng56

Brijohng56

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:18 PM

Hi James, thanks for your reply, checked the base of the passenger side of the screen today and found that the copper connection has broken away at the bottom of the screen, so it looks like I will need a new screen, unless there is another way to reconnect the copper strip to the screen, Brian

#20 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 15,311 posts
Contributor

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:43 PM

Should be able to resolder the ribbon and connector, I remember auto windscreens doing this on my old Focus...

Best thing to do is use a butane solder iron with no tip and apply solder to the ribbon directly melted by the tip of the flame.

Worst case scenario it's dead, but it would be a terrible shame if a yob launched a rock at your window? Only then a replacement window would cost you around 80... Shame really?

Sent from my MY SAGA C2 using Ford OC mobile app

#21 The Admiral

The Admiral

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Name: Vincent
  • Ford Model: Mondeo 2.0 Titanium X
  • Year: 2010

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:16 PM

Was the after market screen fitted by the dealer or mobile multi-national fitter who do cheesey adverts?

Sent from my HTC One X using Ford OC mobile app

#22 Brijohng56

Brijohng56

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 04:43 AM

This is not an after market screen as it shows the ford mark in the bottom right hand corner when you look out from the drivers seat, so I think it must be an original screen, I don't know if there is enough of the connection on the bottom of the screen to reconnect the copper strip I was only able to feel pull the copper strip & found that it was broken off the base of the screen & I felt very little else when I put my hand under the edge of the base of the screen, on the end of the copper strip there is a very small yellow band about 1.5 mm wide which pulls the strip tighter together

#23 Brijohng56

Brijohng56

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 04:01 PM

Since looking at screen over the weekend, I contacted the dealer I purchased the car from at the end of January & there are going to look at it next week to see if may be as they say the damage was done before the car sold to me, to me t looks like the end of the copper strip has a bit of corrosion on it & has been there for a while, I will take pictures before the car goes in to them just so I have a bit of evidence (just in case) thanks for all your comments, Brian

#24 Brijohng56

Brijohng56

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 06:18 PM

Hi all, update about passenger side of heated windscreen not working, car went back to dealer yesterday, they came back this morning & told me that the copper strip had broken off from the bottom of the screen, so it would need a new screen, as it's still under dealers warranty they are going to replace the screen with a new one even thought mine has auto wiper function at a cost to them by national windscreens , have been told it will be replaced with a new screen from Pilkington so will see when I collect the car tomorrow morning. Will let you know, Brian

#25 Brijohng56

Brijohng56

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 05:28 PM

Hi, screen replaced with Pilkington auto wiper, heated & tinted screen at a cost of £390.00, all I had to pay was £15.00 insurance & £10.50 for diesel for the loan car, very nice I think, brian

#26 stooge75

stooge75

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • Ford Model: Mondeo tdci zetec

Posted 03 May 2014 - 05:43 PM

Your next one will probably cost £60 on insurance or even £100.
The b*stands luv gettin their money back even tho they say it doesn't affect premiums

#27 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 15,311 posts
Contributor

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:41 AM

Glad to see you got it resolved, a proper fix is better than a made fix, and its good of the dealer to actually honour this even though it was likely the way before they took posession of it!

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users