Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Car Wont Start After Putting Spark Plugs In

vinylpusher

Hi im new with stuff like this

Today i thought id give a go at changing the spark plugs as they havent been in 2 years.

I brought some NGK ones. All ive done is taken the old ones out and placed the new ones in, as ive been advised.

Now my car wont start <_<

Is there something ive missed. By the way all i did was place the new spark plugs straight in the vehicle out of the box.

Anyone help? thanks

You have got the plug leads located on the plugs and clicked home tight and not missed the end of the plug and gone down the side, did you remove anything else apart from the 4 plug leads from the plugs,and the plugs. if you think all is right try putting your old plugs back in and see if it starts.

You should have checked the gap first although it should still have started. Don't know what it should be. Also did you ensure you put the leads back on in the same order you took them off?

Plugs don't need changing very often these days. Think it is every 30 to 50k miles, therefore the leads sometimes break when they get pulled about after such a long time.

thanks for the suggestions.

I put the original ones back in and the car wouldnt start

I tightened the spark plugs up a bit more as they were only hand tight first of all......

The car now starts... but... its got a very rough idle and when i rev the engine it feels very stuttery ???

any ideas? thanks

Everything is tight that i removed.

Tried reversing to go somewhere and it just almost cuts out completely

If the car has some age to it when you replace Los parts for new some of the older parts work less efficiently. This happened to my 51 plate focus after I changed the leads and plugs. The coil pack went and caused it to stutter. I called the rac out they replaced it and hey go it was sorted.

One of the new plugs could be failing. I had this when I replaced them on my wife's old SportKA.

Thanks for the responses.

Im guessing something else has gone as its misfiring constantly and the engine light is displaying.

I should just be able to make it to a garage hopefully.

Hmm i hope its something else and not something ive done myself.

Whats the worst case? new coil? new cables?

Hello. Thanks for the response.

Am i ok to move the car a few miles to the nearest place so i can get the bits for the vehicle

Is this going to cause many issues ?

Should i just replace the plugs, leads and coil pack

I understand the leads are just take off and replace and the coil pack has a few screws that need removing and just need to reseat the new one?

Any help please. Many thanks

If the car is misfiring you risk damage to the catalyst because of the unburnt fuel.

If the plugs are now fitted and gapped correctly I would suspect the ht leads - as you didn't have any problems before hand and you have disturbed them now.

• Like 2

If the car is misfiring you risk damage to the catalyst because of the unburnt fuel.

If the plugs are now fitted and gapped correctly I would suspect the ht leads - as you didn't have any problems before hand and you have disturbed them now.

ok thanks. Im going to give them a try.

Ive had to move my vehicle a couple of miles this morning, would this have caused much damage?

If does cause further damage to the catalyst, how would i know ?

Thanks

did you pull the leads off by the cable or the rubber bit couldve damaged the leads maybe