Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Improving my acceleration??

gilb-fezzy-01

:rolleyes: hello !

I have a 2001 Fiesta, if u didnt all already know and I really really really want to improve my lower end acceleration.

Im not even close to an expert about car engines etc etc , but hopefully some1 else on here knows more than me, not gunna be hard....

So is there an "easy" and "cheap" way that this can be done, Iv done a lot of modding to the styling but really want something more from the performance? This may sound silly but would something like changing the exhaust system make mich difference?

Iv seen these little chips that apparantly improve BHP but they seem dodgy? Are they??

Any help any can give or how they have improved theres, without going to all the trouble of converting engines, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! :) :) :)

In short there not a lot you can do cheaply to improve your acceleration. More details on your engine would be advantageous but I'll assume we're dealing with a 1.25 as the 1.4 and 1.6 arent that bad. Firstly you can fit an induction kit to give a little more airflow, team this up with a stainless exhaust and you'd get a few more (possibly 5 or 6) bhp and also some acceleration due to better airflow. Then theres the option of a decent remap. Chips dont have a great influence on petrols perhaps 2 or 3 bhp increase and for £200-£250 its not really worth it. A tailored remap would cost around the same and yield slightly better results. Then you are entering the realms of different cams, porting and polishing, all very expensive. In short, you'd probably fair better transplanting a 1.7 Racing Puma engine than fiddling about. Either way due to the hike in power, whichever route you take its gonna cost you on your insurance.

In short there not a lot you can do cheaply to improve your acceleration. More details on your engine would be advantageous but I'll assume we're dealing with a 1.25 as the 1.4 and 1.6 arent that bad. Firstly you can fit an induction kit to give a little more airflow, team this up with a stainless exhaust and you'd get a few more (possibly 5 or 6) bhp and also some acceleration due to better airflow. Then theres the option of a decent remap. Chips dont have a great influence on petrols perhaps 2 or 3 bhp increase and for £200-£250 its not really worth it. A tailored remap would cost around the same and yield slightly better results. Then you are entering the realms of different cams, porting and polishing, all very expensive. In short, you'd probably fair better transplanting a 1.7 Racing Puma engine than fiddling about. Either way due to the hike in power, whichever route you take its gonna cost you on your insurance.

Okay, thanks, il give that one a miss then! Just thought maybe something could improve it that would be cheap but no worries, guess I'll just have to wait until im a little bit older and get a bigger engine! :P

Cheapest is the induction kit, but even then you're supposed to declare it as a modification and it'll increase the old insurance. That would cost around £80 plus the resulting increase insurance. TBH not worth it for the difference you'd barely notice

Cheapest is the induction kit, but even then you're supposed to declare it as a modification and it'll increase the old insurance. That would cost around £80 plus the resulting increase insurance. TBH not worth it for the difference you'd barely notice

cheers buddy,

as for the exhaust system, Im thinking of chagning it anyway, is it worth just chaging the back box or whole system. Not really thinking about performance now, just how my car will sound and look better.

What do you recommend for a beasty sound? And that will look good from the back?

Are they easy to fit yourself?

What do you recommend for a beasty sound?

Nothings going to sound completely beastie as you put it with a 1.25 singing the song. But I'd go for a full straight through twin exit system. Of course removing the cat will fail the MOT so you'd be messing about every year re-fitting it for the test. Team that with an induction kit and it should sound quite nice.

Are they easy to fit yourself?

Easy enough if you can get good access under the vehicle and semi competent with a ratchet and sockets lol

Nothings going to sound completely beastie as you put it with a 1.25 singing the song. But I'd go for a full straight through twin exit system. Of course removing the cat will fail the MOT so you'd be messing about every year re-fitting it for the test. Team that with an induction kit and it should sound quite nice.

Easy enough if you can get good access under the vehicle and semi competent with a ratchet and sockets lol

Nice one, yeh i know what you mean that nothing will sound that great but its gotta be better at least! Its a start! Will obviously make my car look nicer aswel. I take it I can just change the back box instead of doing the whole system? What are the main differences with changing it all to just doing the back box?

your quite lucky with the car you have to be able to change the exhaust system just like that lol , for me i would have to cut or change the rear bumper lol but it go for a strait thru mate you will bet better sound than a back box but dont go for cheap on your air filter get a good k&n wont let crap in thru the filter.

your quite lucky with the car you have to be able to change the exhaust system just like that lol , for me i would have to cut or change the rear bumper lol but it go for a strait thru mate you will bet better sound than a back box but dont go for cheap on your air filter get a good k&n wont let crap in thru the filter.

Right okay, cheers for the advice guys its much appreciated. :)

first i would do is change the air filter, if you are looking to gain performance then look for one of the bigger makes like K&N, you can usually pick one up from halfrauds for about a hundred quid, dont buy the 'ripspeed' ones, they just let in loads of dust due top the larger holes in the mesh.

i would then go and find some decent plugs and leads to optimise the extra fuel you will take in due to the free flowing air filter.

then you need to look at getting a decent exhaust system to let the exhaust gas out quicker. i would suggest going to a decent custom exhaust centre and getting a stainless exhaust made up.

after that look at getting it on a rolling road and get the ECU re-mapped otherwise its pretty pointless.

if you only want the sound then dont worry about the exhaust or a remap etc

i just went to my shed of bits and took one off of my old V8 range rover induction sytem! biggrin.gif

oh, tey to find the coolest part of your engine bay, or get a ram air pipe to feed cold air onto the filter, more power and it will help the combustion.

first i would do is change the air filter, if you are looking to gain performance then look for one of the bigger makes like K&N, you can usually pick one up from halfrauds for about a hundred quid, dont buy the 'ripspeed' ones, they just let in loads of dust due top the larger holes in the mesh.

i would then go and find some decent plugs and leads to optimise the extra fuel you will take in due to the free flowing air filter.

then you need to look at getting a decent exhaust system to let the exhaust gas out quicker. i would suggest going to a decent custom exhaust centre and getting a stainless exhaust made up.

after that look at getting it on a rolling road and get the ECU re-mapped otherwise its pretty pointless.

if you only want the sound then dont worry about the exhaust or a remap etc

i just went to my shed of bits and took one off of my old V8 range rover induction sytem! biggrin.gif

oh, tey to find the coolest part of your engine bay, or get a ram air pipe to feed cold air onto the filter, more power and it will help the combustion.

Ok cheers, i might give it a miss after all , if i was just going for a nice sound, what would you do? Just change the back box?