Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Windscreen

Silverdogs

My Mondeo has a chip on the windscreen and as it's on the driver's side it will have to be done before the MOT at the end of the month. I took it down to Autoglass to see if it could be repaired and they said it was too big to repair on the driver's side and I would need a new windscreen.

Although my insurance is fully comp, I stupidly and truthfully told the insurance company the chip was there when we bought the car and now they won't pay out for it. So after just having paid out £700 for a new clutch and DMF that tooks us three months to save for, I have to somehow buy a new windscreen. :(

The cheapest quote I've had from a windscreen company is £200. Anyone know where I can get it done cheaper than that? Do garages replace windscreens and is it likely to be cheaper than the glass companies? It's heated and has a rain censor which probably makes it more expensive. Can I get one second hand or is that not legal?

• Like 1

to be honest, 200 for a new windscreen (especially if that's with heat and rain sensor is a good price) but without those is still good never the less, so I would struggle to find it elsewhere!

You can get a second hand one, however you have to bare in mind all the kit you need to remove and replace a windscreen, travel with them, keep them safe... Your probably better off getting the pro's to do it with a decent one.

Thanks. I've had some more quotes and £210 seems to be the average.

Sometimes honesty is not the best policy.

Yes I realise that now, but lying doesn't come instantly to me and I wasn't expecting to be asked that question as I've never had to have a repair to a windscreen before. Had I known honesty would cost me £200 of course I would have lied. :rolleyes:

Crack the windscreen with a sharp tool and tell them it's a new crack or the other way round then crack it if they ask for evidence they cannot prove it wasn't there. things like this should be straight up free with insurance regardless of how it happens because no one goes out of there way to chip their own windscreen.

If that fails bite the bullet. £200 is a superb price unbeatable, i was quoted £450 for a new windscreen with rain sensor from ford. As far as windscreen goes, vehicle mondeo and focus size and type aren't sold for no less than £200

I'm sure the insurance company would smell a rat and I'm scared of being prosecuted for fraud! Now if I happened to drive down a temporary road surface too fast and a stone hit the windscreen and chipped it again that would be different. :)

Spark plug ceramic works a treat but I never told you that. ;)

So does an engineering brick! Honestly officer, I have no idea how it happened....driving down that quiet country lane

Driving down the country road, a brick appears to have fallen from a tree. I saw some hoodies down the road who were throwing bricks into trees...

Thank you for all your suggestions, but I think the insurance company would be a little suspicious if my windscreen suddenly cracked after they told me they wouldn't pay for a new one a few days before. If the MOT wasn't so close I could easily live with the chip for months and wait until I got a new one - accidentally or otherwise!

its a shame, but £200 isnt a lot for a replacement windscreen to be honest, most policies offer either £70 or £120 area excess for a new windscreen, so your not paying over the odds.

Keep the old one though, then if you do have a genuine claim for a replacement windscreen, you could swap the old one back on (if the new one doesnt have heated and sensors) then when they replace like for like, your back in the game.

The deed is done - shiny new windscreen, heated with rain censor for £210. I think it's a good price, just a shame I talked myself into paying it. MOT is on Friday and if it fails it'll be off road because we're skint now after a replacement clutch and windscreen. :cry:

That's an excellent price for everything. But at least its done.

• Like 1

Car passed it's MOT. :) :) :)

About the windscreen, though. There is no seal along the top of the windscreen, is that right? I phoned them and the local office is closed for the weekend but the woman at the call centre said she was pretty sure it was supposed to be like that and she'll get someone to ring me on Monday. :rolleyes: Is this new technology? I'm sure the old one wasn't like that, it's just bare glass along the top.

Does sound right to me! Get in touch with them today and see, but I dont believe that is correct...

I have spoken to the local office but didn't get past the telephonist. She said the seal is purely cosmetic and some have them, some don't. Surely if it's not sealed it will collect water along the top and corrode the bodywork? She is supposed to be getting someone to ring me back. :rolleyes:

If water gets into the laminated layers the plastic in the middle will go milky and obstruct vision.

I'm not worried about water getting into the windscreen, they said it was encapsulated. I was worried about water and dirt gathering along the gap at the top.