• Budding Enthusiast
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Name: Tapio
  • Ford Model: Focus
  • Year: 2005

Posted 22 September 2013 - 07:23 AM

Hi!
I have succesfully retrofitted supplemental heater (ptc) to 2.0 tdci mk2 focus. I tried searching older posts but didn't find anything about retrofiting ptc, so here is some basic info about this mod.

What is ptc-heater?
-About 1kW electrical heater element

-Heats only interior, NOT engine
-Fitted on some diesels, mk2 onwards
-Located on heater assy, possible to install without removing dashboard

Operation:
-Temperature controller (manual or automatic) sends signal to GEM when max heat is requested
-If ambient temp is low and engine is cold, GEM commands PTC with PWM signal to operate. PTC has 3 resistor elements which are used all together or one at a time, depending on required heating power.

You can test GEM before even buying ptc element:

-Use Elmconfig to configure HEC and GEM to support PTC heater.

-Wait for a cold morning.

-Start engine and set heat to MAX. If ambient temperature is below 10 (at least in my case) and engine is cold, instrument panel should give you a message: Aux heater 100%. If you get that message, GEM supports PTC and all you need to do is install it.

Installation:

-Remove trim panel from footwell side.

-Remove bolts 6 and 7.

-If footwell light socket is installed, it has to be popped out or reinforcement element 8 won't have enough room to come out

-Carefully take reinforcement element out of the way

-Remove ptc heater cover retaining screws 10

-Dismantle ptc heater. Remove screws from the plastic cover, open cover and remove all the wires. Put cover back with few screws to cover electronics. This has to be done because element won't fit unless wires are removed or dashboard is removed.

-With a litlle force, bend the plastic panel in front of ptc installation hole and slide the element in place. Element has rubber nipples at the other end and heater assy has holes for them. Needs a little patience to get them right.

-When element is on its place, unscrew the cover and refit all wires.

-Reinstall reinforcement element and attach all wires.

-Reinstall trim panel

Done!

ptc.jpg

ptc2.jpg

It's actually quite efficient, warm air comes after about one minute after starting engine. Difference is huge, tdci is quite slow to warm up.

I don't see any reason why it could not be installed in petrol cars, all the important parts should be the same between diesel and petrol.

EDIT: More specific installation instructions and few pictures

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 JW1982

JW1982

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • Name: Wilco
  • Ford Model: Focus MK3 Champions Edition
  • Year: 2013
Contributor

Posted 22 September 2013 - 08:24 AM

Do you have any pictures of this?

It sounds very good. I would like to investigate if this is also possible for my 1.6 Petrol MK2. As far as I can see the heater housing of Petrol and Diesel versions are identical. Possibly I have to retrofit the wiring but that is no problem for me. 

#3 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,337 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct
  • Year: 2006

Posted 22 September 2013 - 08:40 AM

cant see the point of it on a petrol as it warms up within minutes even during the winter warm air is available quickly

#4 jynxy

jynxy

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Name: Dean
  • Ford Model: Focus LX 2005 Estate (115 ps)

Posted 22 September 2013 - 08:47 AM

any chance of a how to guide ?

#5 JW1982

JW1982

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts
Contributor

Posted 22 September 2013 - 08:57 AM

cant see the point of it on a petrol as it warms up within minutes even during the winter warm air is available quickly

My car is used regularly for short trips (home to work is only 4 KM). Most times the heater remains cold during these trips. Because of this I am planning to install an additional electric or Petrol powered heater to warm up the interior more quickly in winter time.

#6 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 15,829 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 22 September 2013 - 10:22 AM

The aircon warms my car up pretty quickly.

#7 tapiiri

tapiiri

• Budding Enthusiast
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 12:26 PM

My car is used regularly for short trips (home to work is only 4 KM). Most times the heater remains cold during these trips. Because of this I am planning to install an additional electric or Petrol powered heater to warm up the interior more quickly in winter time.

Actually I have both now.. 5,2kW diesel powered heater AND PTC heater.. Diesel heaters con is that it's quite slow after all. It takes few minutes to start and few more minutes to get to full power. It also transfers heat through coolant so it won't give much heat until the engine is also warm. It's great for preheating if you remember to take care of battery, it gets easily drained if trips are short all the time.

It maybe that we are speaking a little different kind of winters, for example 2012 here was -38c. it would be nice to see a petrol Focus which "warms up in minutes" at -38c :)

#8 mixmasterlooney

mixmasterlooney

The Sexecutioner

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,688 posts
  • Name: Kurt
  • Ford Model: Focus Zetec S
  • Year: 2010
Contributor

Posted 22 September 2013 - 01:25 PM

Very much interested in this mod, please put together a how to guide with as much pictures and videos as possible, i would like my engine to warm up quicker. 

Interior heating isn't a problem warm air starts to blow pretty much right away

#9 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,337 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct
  • Year: 2006

Posted 22 September 2013 - 09:32 PM

Minus 10 to 15 and it did heat up quick but the ti vct uses a different system for fast warm ups at minus 38 i can see youre point

#10 mayak

mayak

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Name: Marcin
  • Ford Model: Focus mk 2

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:35 AM

Do you have any pictures of this?

petrol Focus never had PTC but it's possible to retrofit, see here: http://ffclub.ru/topic/288750/ 

You should consider installing more powerful alternator (105A -> 120A  then modify VIDblock in PCM) and during 4km trip your battery won't charge much, so recharge at home

#11 tapiiri

tapiiri

• Budding Enthusiast
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:21 AM

petrol Focus never had PTC but it's possible to retrofit, see here: http://ffclub.ru/topic/288750/ 

You should consider installing more powerful alternator (105A -> 120A  then modify VIDblock in PCM) and during 4km trip your battery won't charge much, so recharge at home

Actually GEM uses PTC only if there is enough reserve power in alternator. It won't affect battery charging at any level, voltage is kept over 14 at all times. I have 120A alternator and PTC is ran with only about 20-30% power (at idle) until glow plugs are turned off. Modern cars are very intelligent when it comes to battery charging, you can't use more power than the alternator can supply. Unless car has some DIY circuits which are not controlled by GEM..

#12 mayak

mayak

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Name: Marcin
  • Ford Model: Focus mk 2

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:42 AM

it depends - if you have deatc (automatic aircon), then it is smartly controlled

but with manual aircon, then PTC control is binary: on or off - only certain manual aircon panels can control (=have additional microswitch) PTC

ps.

it's hard to call Focus2 (10 years old design, counting from first C-Maxs from 2003) a modern car ;)

#13 tapiiri

tapiiri

• Budding Enthusiast
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:55 AM

it depends - if you have deatc (automatic aircon), then it is smartly controlled

but with manual aircon, then PTC control is binary: on or off - only certain manual aircon panels can control (=have additional microswitch) PTC

ps.

it's hard to call Focus2 (10 years old design, counting from first C-Maxs from 2003) a modern car ;)

You are right about calling Focus 2 a modern car..  :)

Below is a direct copy from PTC operation description in Etis:

When the passenger compartment temperature is set to HI at the climate control assembly or the heater control is set the highest level, the Electronic Automatic Temperature Control (EATC) transmits an “electric booster heater ON” request signal to the Generic Electronic Module (GEM) via the MS CAN bus. If a manual air conditioning system is installed, the signal is transmitted via a conventional cable connection.

The GEM switches on the electric booster heater depending on the following parameters:

Engine coolant temperature is below 60 °C.
Ambient air temperature is below 10 °C.
Sufficient generator capacity is available.
The electric booster heater consists of three individual heating elements, which are incorporated into a single housing.

The electronics of the electric booster heater controls three output stages dependent upon a pulse width modulation signal (PWM), which is generated by the GEM. The output stages switch the three heating elements of the electric booster heater ON or OFF individually, whereby the heating periods of the individual elements can overlap. Due to the variable switch-on duration, continuously variable temperature control is possible. The overall heating power of the three heating elements is linearly proportional to the PWM signal. If the PWM signal is below 10% or above 95%, the electric booster heater is not activated.

The electric booster heater is switched off when an engine coolant temperature of 70°C or an ambient air temperature of 20°C is exceeded.

#14 JW1982

JW1982

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts
Contributor

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:24 PM

My car already has a 120A alternator and a few Years ago I installed a 80 Ah battery.

Yesterday i checked the wiring and saw the wiring between de GEM module/fusebox and the PTC connector is already factory fitted. I also have the correct type of heater control panel with the additional microswitch. The only thing which is missing is the wiring between the fusebox in the engine bay and the PTC. i work for a company which repairs and rewinds electric motors and generators so it is no problem for me to install this wiring.

The only thing I need to complete this mod is the PTC heater itself and some wiring.

#15 JW1982

JW1982

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts
Contributor

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:22 AM

Yesterday I succesfully retrofitted the PTC heater to my MK2 Petrol.

Most of the wiring was already factory fitted in my car so I only needed to fit the wiring between the PTC heater element and the fuse box in the engine bay. Unfortunately my heater control panel (which originally came from a 2010 Focus MK2.5 Diesel) was not suitable to control the PTC heater. To retrofit the PTC heater I needed the following parts:

* PTC heater element.

* Heater control panel which is suitable to control the PTC heater.

* 80A fuse.

* 10mm² wiring between the PTC heater and the fuse box in the engine bay.

As far as I could find the PTC heater was never installed on Dutch Focus MK2/MK2.5 versions. I searched several vehicles at a scrap yard but none of the MK2/MK2.5 Diesel versions was equipped with the PTC heater. Next I searched on Ebay and found the needed parts at some Eastern European sellers. I bought the heater control panel and the PTC heater element from these sellers for a very good price.

After these parts were installed I made the 10mm² wiring between the PTC heater and the fuse box in the engine bay myself using some 10mm² cable and suitable cable lugs.

Finally I activated the PTC heater functions into the GEM module/fuse box and the instrument cluster. After a quick test the PTC heater seems to work very well. When the system is activated warm air comes out of the airvents almost immediately.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users