• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Name: jack
  • Ford Model: Focus 2
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:50 AM

Hi. Have you anybody retroffited ptc with manual AC? I retrofitted ptc(exactly by guide) but ptc doesnt work :-( . Always I saw ptc combined dual AC.

FF2, 1,6 tdci, 10/2007.

Thanx for reply.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 JW1982

JW1982

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • Name: Wilco
  • Ford Model: Focus MK3 Champions Edition
  • Year: 2013
Contributor

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:13 PM

I retrofitted the PTC heater system to my Focus MK2 with manual A/C.

For the PTC heater system you will need a different type of heater control panel which has an additional microswitch (and some components) on the circuit board. The standard heater control panel does not have this microswitch.

The GEM module/fuse box also needs to be suitable for the PTC heater system and after installing the PTC heater system it needs to be activated into the GEM module and the instrument cluster.

#18 lucky.jack

lucky.jack

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Contributor

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:34 PM

Yes yes, I know about the microswitch. I havenefficiency´t the circuit board with microswitch, but I have extra manual switch, whitch gives an information to the GEM. I have activated the ptc in GEM and also in instrument cluster. BUt I still have the fault B2976-0F :-(  When the switch is switchen, On instrument cluster I see xy% of efficiency ptc but still havent warm air :-(

What do you mean "(and some components)"?

Sorry for my enghlish  :oops:

#19 mayak

mayak

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Name: Marcin
  • Ford Model: Focus mk 2

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:58 PM

There are different ways of activation depending whether you have manual or automatic AC

If instrument cluster displays % then most likely you have activated as for auto AC

#20 JW1982

JW1982

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts
Contributor

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:09 PM

Yes yes, I know about the microswitch. I havenefficiency´t the circuit board with microswitch, but I have extra manual switch, whitch gives an information to the GEM. I have activated the ptc in GEM and also in instrument cluster. BUt I still have the fault B2976-0F :-(  When the switch is switchen, On instrument cluster I see xy% of efficiency ptc but still havent warm air :-(

What do you mean "(and some components)"?

Sorry for my enghlish  :oops:

The circuit board of the heater control panel suitable for PTC heater has an adittional microswitch, some extra resistors and a transistor. It is not only the microswitch which is missing on the standard panel.

Does your GEM module actually send the PWM signal to the PTC heater? As far as I know some GEM modules with lower options are not suitable to control certain options because some parts/components on the circuit board are missing. I have got a MK2.5 GEM module in my car which supports all possible options. With this GEM module the PTC heater is fully functional. I tested the PTC heater also with my original MK2 GEM module which obviously does not support all options. This GEM module sends a signal to the instrument cluster but does not send the PWM signal to the PTC heater. The result is a message on the display of the instrument cluster about the PTC heater being active but the element not being activated by the GEM module.

#21 lucky.jack

lucky.jack

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Contributor

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:38 PM

I think I have higher version of GEM, I have xxxx-xxxxx-DE version. Now I am hunting for the The circuit board(with some next components), because I am really frustrated yet(its the finally step what I think where is the the fault nad before ptc damaged)  :(

BTW, today my car visited the service station(ford service) and they said, that in the datalogger the the signal is OK.

#22 gurcayy

gurcayy

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus Mk2
Posted 05 November 2014 - 02:37 PM

I am sorry for resurrecting such an old thread, but I have few questions.

I am considering retrofitting the PTC heater on my 2007 mk, manual A/C. What is this additional heater panel with microwitches you are talking about and how it looks like? 

#23 JW1982

JW1982

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts
Contributor

Posted 05 November 2014 - 06:16 PM

There are a few different versions of the Focus MK2/MK2.5 heater control panel for manual A/C. On the outside all heater control panels look identical but inside there are technical differences. The versions which are suitable for the Fuel Fired Heater or PTC heater have a different circuit board with some additional components.

The heater control panel can be identified by the part number. This part number is located on a sticker at the top of the heater control panel. The following part numbers are suitable for the Fuel Fired Heater or PTC heater:

Green illumination:
3M5T-19980-BB
3M5T-19980-BC
3M5T-19980-BD

Red ellumination:
7M5T-19980-BA
7M5T-19980-BB
7M5T-19980-BC

The prices of a new heater control panel which is suitable for the Fuel Fired Heater or PTC heater vary between €225,- and €300,-. The version with green illumination is a bit cheaper than the version with red illumination. These heater control panels are a bit rare in Western European countries. These heater control panels are Occasionally offered on ebay. Mostly by eastern European sellers.

#24 gurcayy

gurcayy

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Posted 05 November 2014 - 06:49 PM

Many thanks for that brilliant enlightening post JW1982. Do I need to know anything specific that hasn't been mentioned in the guide from the previous page?

#25 gurcayy

gurcayy

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:53 PM

JW1982, one more question? What is supposed to to do with the two cables ( thin ones ) that come from the radiator ( heater ) itself? I mean I have to feed them with 12V or I am wrong? 

And when I find the correct heater panel, where I need to connect the cables from the heater on the new panel?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

#26 JW1982

JW1982

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts
Contributor

Posted 05 November 2014 - 08:39 PM

The PTC heater element has a permanent 12 Volt power source. This is the big (10 mm2) cable which is connected to the Battery junction Box. The 2 small wires which are connected to the PTC heater element come from the GEM module/fuse box. These wires carry a PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) signal which controls the capacity of the heater element. This way the heater elemant can be regulated fom 5% to 100%.

The heater control panel is connected to the GEM module/fuse box. In most cases this wiring is already present. If the wiring is present you only have to activate the PTC heater function in the software of the GEM module/fuse box after the PTC heater has been installed.

#27 gurcayy

gurcayy

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Posted 05 November 2014 - 09:00 PM

Thank you, mate! Your help is priceless for me. 

My main problem is that below. I don't have the wiring. In this occasion, do you know how can I make the connection?

The heater control panel is connected to the GEM module/fuse box. In most cases this wiring is already present. If the wiring is present you only have to activate the PTC heater function in the software of the GEM module/fuse box after the PTC heater has been installed.

#28 JW1982

JW1982

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts
Contributor

Posted 06 November 2014 - 06:44 AM

The easiest way is to take the wiring out of a scrap car. Usually the higher spec diesel versions do have the wiring factory fitted but my experience is that some petrol versions do also have the wiring factory fitted.

On my MK2 First Edition (a trim level just below Titanium) with a 1.6 Duratec 100 HP engine the wiring from the GEM module/fuse box to the PTC heater element was factory fitted. The big (10 mm2) cable which is connected to the Battery junction Box was not factory fitted on my car. I made this wiring myself using some 10 mm2 cable and suitable cable lugs.

#29 gurcayy

gurcayy

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Posted 06 November 2014 - 09:02 AM

I've already made the wiring from the fuse box to the PTC heater myself too . My question is regarding for the other two cables left ( from total of four) ? Sorry if I havent't been clear enough and any inconvinience caused. Many thanks.

#30 TomsFocus

TomsFocus

Serial Poster

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • Name: Tom
  • Ford Model: Mk2.5 Focus 1.6 TDCi TitX
  • Year: 2008

Posted 06 November 2014 - 11:45 AM

Do I have either of these heaters fitted? 2008 1.6TDCi Titanium. Seems to take forever to warm up though. My old 306 HDi had a coolant heater and that gave heat within a mile, the Focus is still cold after 4 miles!

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users