Do Not Sell My Personal Information

St Boost Gauge Pod - Fitting Query

gforce

Guys, having a Titanium I have the storage compartment on the top of the dash, but the clip on the lid has broken and it won't stay shut on it's own. I currently place a thin piece of paper like a receipt over the the latch before shutting the lid and this seems to hold it, but it can still pop open if I hit a bump or something.

Having read up on it I think it's a 'common fault' (aren't they all?!) and rather than replace like for like for the possibility of it happening again, I'm thinkin of fitting the ST gauge pod. This will initially be just for aesthetics, with possibly wiring in aftermarket gauges down the line as per Lenny and a few others before and after him have done.

My main question is this...as I have the dash pocket, I'm assuming I have no cutting to do, BUT can the pod bit be swapped out for the pocket and use the rest of the existing trim, or will I need the complete trim piece that sweeps up over the top of the instrument cluster as well?

Reason I ask is a lot of the pods that come up for sale don't seem to come with this piece, so I'd like to confirm if I actually need it before I go looking for it!

Cheers in advance for any info!

Yes it's a straight swap. While your pricing up actual gauges and the work involved , have a think about a Torque Pro installation like i have done , you can get loads more information on display for around the same price. the mk2 pod is also larger than the Mk3 pod so you could have more information displayed than i have.

• Like 1

Thanks for that Paul, and cheers for the heads up about the fitting. I remember reading your guide in the past and was very impressed with the capabilities. The Scangauge II was another possibility, but as said that sort of mod will be further down the line I reckon. So can I just confirm that it's just the pod part I need and can insert it into the extra trim piece I already have in place of the pocket?

I've attached a couple of photos below to make sure I'm being clear in what I'm asking...can I get away with just sourcing the pod as per the first pic, rather than needing the full trim surround as per second pic?

post-30295-0-05270300-1380023726_thumb.j

post-30295-0-23924100-1380023741_thumb.j

I'm sure once I take a proper look or have a stab at removing it'll be a lot clearer, but just thought I'd ask first.

Yes it's a simple swap over from the tray to the pod , best way to get it unclipped is remove the center air vents to gain access to the underside of the tray.

For the price of a scan gauge your , 3/4 there for the price of an android phone and bluetooth adapter. Scangauge only give's you a quarter of what TorquePro can do.

+1

On Microcat it shows the same base unit with the pocket and pod as the options.

• Like 1

Yes it's a simple swap over from the tray to the pod , best way to get it unclipped is remove the center air vents to gain access to the underside of the tray.

For the price of a scan gauge your , 3/4 there for the price of an android phone and bluetooth adapter. Scangauge only give's you a quarter of what TorquePro can do.

Yeah, I know what you're saying mate. Would be worth going that bit extra for extra functionality...if/when I ever get round to it that is! Cheers for the removal tips by the way, at least now I have a starting point!

+1

On Microcat it shows the same base unit with the pocket and pod as the options.

Thanks for that Clive, was thinking that checking part numbers would be the ideal way to make sure, so cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

So I've just had my storage pocket and trim piece out to have a look at it, and unfortunately, to my eyes at least, it all seems to be one part! So I can't see any way of fitting the pod without having to cut out the base of the pocket! Part no on the bottom is 4M51-A20164. I've taken pics but can't find the lead to transfer them to the laptop. Will get them up soon.

I've taken apart the lid etc to try fix the clip, so will see how it goes. Bad news is I've just bought a pod to replace it, but seems I'm gonna need to source the trim piece now which goes up over the cluster, which I can't imagine will be easy to find without having to buy the whole unit.

Clive, you still having issues with microcat or is there any chance you could double check if the part no of the trim piece which the pod sits in is the same as the part no I've listed above for the storage pocket? Might just try Ford directly to get a price...

Sorry, Microcat is no more.

Spoke to the guy on my local Ford parts counter today and he confirmed it's all online now and needs a licence to access.

That's no worries, I'll call into my own parts manager next day time I get a chance.

Here's a couple of pics of the storage pocket removed to show what I mean about it being 'one piece', and my (so far!) successful attempt at fixing it!

post-30295-0-35599900-1380790676_thumb.j

post-30295-0-19590800-1380790734_thumb.j

post-30295-0-42873700-1380790928_thumb.j

Bit gutted really as I'd hoped the pocket would just lift out and the pod slot in, but should have checked first.

on the pod dash bit there is a rectangle hole to allow the depth of the pod to sit in. you could still make it fit Gary. i can take a pic of it if you want mate.

Nah don't worry about it Sal, thanks anyway mate.

I've seen the pics of it anyway now. I had a look in Lenny's guide there and got a good view of it there, so I see what I would need to do. Just not sure if there would be much else to it, like the spring clip that the latch of the pocket lid goes into, or the little rubber pads around the corners, or the areas where the hinges of the lid were fitted and that. Will get a proper look at what might be involved when I get a chance to offer them up to each other over the weekend.

For the meantime, the pocket is closed and staying that way, so not too bad. The pod could be back up for sale if things don't work out. I've contacted a pile of sellers on eBay who are breaking STs about the surround panel, so will wait and see what comes back from that.

Little update on this...my boost pod arrived over the wknd but I only got a chance to open the parcel and offer it up to the dash pocket late last night. Looks like it's gonna need a lot of cutting if I was gonna try and make the pod fit the pocket trim, and even then it would be risky as it might not clip in securely. I also had no joy from any of the eBay seller breaking an ST that I contacted last week.

So it's gonna need a trip to Ford after all...will get a price for the ST panel and a price for a replacement dash storage pocket and decide then what way to proceed.

Anyone have the part no for the boost pod surround trim part by any chance?

At the minute, after my temp solution with the catch stopped working, I simply removed the spring from the hinge of the lid, so at least now the lid remains closed and the pocket usable, but it obviously doesn't pop up when I press it.

Right, seems the boost pod is on the back burner until I can source the plastic base part that it sits into...

I've been speaking with Tezza and he has gotten me part nos and prices for the associated parts (thanks mate, much appreciated!) so I thought I'd share on here in case anyone else is interested;

"Right the base part to the pod is only fitted to the ST/RS and is a expensive part :(

1435825 @ £189.94 inc vat

The part number for the storage pocket is 1543076 @ £219.53 (dont come with lid) the lid is 1519315 @ £47.77 inc vat"

Gobsmacked at these prices for a few pieces of plastic! I know from experience that dealer prices can be a bit scandalous at times, but even I am shocked at that!

Anyway, I've just read a post about the lid being fixed using a replacement 'push to open' clip used to repair pop-open bins and that (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200966711660?var=500187761796&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649&clk_rvr_id=529855531515&afsrc=1) , so think that's my play at the minute whilst I decide between hunting down the base part for the ST pod, or just selling on the pod I've already bought.

Right, seems the boost pod is on the back burner until I can source the plastic base part that it sits into...

I've been speaking with Tezza and he has gotten me part nos and prices for the associated parts (thanks mate, much appreciated!) so I thought I'd share on here in case anyone else is interested;

"Right the base part to the pod is only fitted to the ST/RS and is a expensive part :(

The part number for the storage pocket is 1543076 @ £219.53 (dont come with lid) the lid is 1519315 @ £47.77 inc vat"

Gobsmacked at these prices for a few pieces of plastic! I know from experience that dealer prices can be a bit scandalous at times, but even I am shocked at that!

Anyway, I've just read a post about the lid being fixed using a replacement 'push to open' clip used to repair pop-open bins and that (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200966711660?var=500187761796&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649&clk_rvr_id=529855531515&afsrc=1) , so think that's my play at the minute whilst I decide between hunting down the base part for the ST pod, or just selling on the pod I've already bought.

I would just keep an eye out for the base and doing what you're doing contacting breakers etc - one is bound to pop up sooner or later? Chances are they wouldn't think a bit of plastic would have that much value either?

I would just keep an eye out for the base and doing what you're doing contacting breakers etc - one is bound to pop up sooner or later? Chances are they wouldn't think a bit of plastic would have that much value either?

That's exactly it mate...which is why I was tentative to put up the price! I have sourced one on eBay but he won't split from the pod, so I'm thinking I'll get the pod I have up for sale and see how much of a hit I take on that and decide then if it's worth going for the complete one from the breakers.

That's exactly it mate...which is why I was tentative to put up the price! I have sourced one on ebay but he won't split from the pod, so I'm thinking I'll get the pod I have up for sale and see how much of a hit I take on that and decide then if it's worth going for the complete one from the breakers.

Doesn't sound like a bad idea!

You don't have to spend all that money to have a boost gauge fitted to your car - thee are alternatives or you can even make something up yourself

You don't have to spend all that money to have a boost gauge fitted to your car - thee are alternatives or you can even make something up yourself

Totally know what you're saying mate...worst thing is though mate, the aim of this project isn't even to fit working gauges!

There is no way to do a plug and play fitment of the ST gauges as they are ECU controlled. There's a cracking guide on here from a guy who fitted functioning aftermarket gauges in behind the original faceplate of the ST pod on his TDCi, so it looks like the originals are working, but they are actually completely independent gauges.

My aim though is purely for aesthetics at the minute... Because my dash pocket has broke, and it doesn't see much use anyway, I saw it as an excuse to fit the ST gauges, purely for looks as they can't be wired up. Further down the line I was gonna look into a working solution;

• either something like the guide I mentioned above,
  • something like Lenny's guide where he fitted two aftermarket gauges into the pod in place of the 3 ST gauges,
  • something like James had done in fitting a ScangaugeII,
  • or something like Preee has done and use a cheap android device with Torque app and OBDII bluetooth connection to give a digital type display with lots more info on the screen.

But all using the ST boost pod as an OEM-looking housing.

But basically, that was all further down the line and the initial fitting of the pod was purely for looks as a dummy. Hence why it makes even less sense to spend much on it!

By the way, re the prices above, that's just for the plastic base part...I think the gauges themselves cost about £600-700, and not even sure if that's just the clocks or if the pod housing is included with them! :blink:

Gary

i'm thinking of getting this: http://www.misco.co.uk/product/204706/MobiNote-TPC-50C-5inch-Android-Tablet-With-Bag-and-Earphones

and thinking of using it with the torque app and making a custom holder for it. shame its in white, i did find a black version but that does not have bluetooth?

also not sure if the obd adapter will connect straight into this - saves faffing around with bluetooth

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club